Qādisīyya (Arabic: القادسیة) was a station or resting area near Kufa. Qays b. Mushir al-Saydawi was arrested by al-Husayn b. Numayr in this area. Qays was Imam al-Husayn's (a) envoy to people of Kufa. After leaving the station of 'Udhayb al-Hijanat, Imam al-Husayn (a) changed his path to Qasr Bani Muqatil and did not go to Qadisiyya.
Location and History
Qadisiyya is located 15 miles from Kufa and 4 miles from 'Udhayb al-Hijanat. In the period of 'Umar b. al-Khattab, the Battle of Qadisiyya between the army of Persia and Muslim Arabs occurred in this area in 14/635.
Also, Qays b. Mushir al-Saydawi, Imam al-Husayn's (a) messenger to people of Kufa, was arrested in this place by al-Husayn b. Numayr and sent to 'Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad. Qays carried a letter from the Imam (a) to people of Kufa. He tore the letter apart before it was seized by Ibn Ziyad's forces.
The path to Kufa passes from 'Udhayb to Qadisiyya, but in order to avoid Kufa, Imam al-Husayn (a) changed his way to Qasr Bani Muqatil, and thus, he did not go to Qadisiyya.
- Al-Ḥamawī, Muʿjam al-Buldān, vol. 4, p. 291.
- Al-Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 72.
- Ibn Kathīr, Al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya, vol. 8, p. 168; al-Balādhurī, Kitāb jumal min ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 167.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 82.
- Jaʿfarīyān, Aṭlas-i Shīʿa, p. 66, the map of number. 35.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Kitāb jumal min ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Suhayl Zakkār & Rīyāḍ Ziriklī. Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 1417AH-1996.
- Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī, Aḥmad b. Aʿtham. Kitāb al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1411AH-1991.
- Ibn Kathīr al-Dimashqī, Ismāʿīl b. ʿUmar. Al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1407AH-1986.
- Jaʿfarīyān, Rasūl. Aṭlas-i Shīʿa. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Sāzmān-i Jughrāfīyāyī-yi Nīrūhā-yi Musallaḥ, 1387Sh.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Rijāl al-Kashshī. Mashhad: Intishārat-i Dānishgāh-i Mashhad, 1348Sh.
- Yāqūt al-Ḥamawī, Yāqūt b. ʿAbd Allah. Muʿjam al-Buldān. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1995.