Hajj al-Ifrad (Arabic: حجّ الإفراد) is one of the three types of hajj and like hajj al-qiran, it is obligatory for those who live in Mecca or near Mecca. The steps of this hajj are like hajj al-tamattu' but making sacrifice is not necessary in it. In some cases, it would be necessary to change Hajj al-Tamattu' to Hajj al-Ifrad.
The Three Types of Hajj
Similar to hajj al-qiran, Hajj al-Ifrad is obligatory for the people of Mecca and those who live in a distance of less than 48 mils (about 86 km) from Mecca. Some scholars in fiqh have considered this distance 12 mils (about 21.5 km). There are different opinions regarding whether these people need to al-'Umra al-Mufrada after hajj or not.
In recommended hajj, the pilgrim is free to choose whichever of different types of hajj.
Practices of Hajj al-Ifrad
- Ihram: if the pilgrim's residence is closer to Mecca than any of the five miqats, he needs to wear ihram from his house and if his house is further, he needs to wear ihram from the miqat.
- Staying in 'Arafat on Dhu l-Hijja 9 and in Mash'ar before the sunrise of Eid al-Adha.
- Performing the practices of Mina on the day of Eid al-Adha: Ramy al-jamara al-'aqaba, halq and taqsir.
- Performing the practices of Mina in the Days of Tashriq
- Camping in Mina
- Performing the practices of Mecca: tawaf for visiting and its related prayer, Sa'y between al-Safa and al-Marwa, tawaf al-nisa' and its related two rak'as of prayers.
Majority of scholars in fiqh believe that in hajj al-ifrad, tawaf for visiting, tawaf al-nisa' and its related prayer can be performed before staying in 'Arafat. This way, Islamic scholars have different opinions regarding taking off ihram and the necessity of repeating talbiya after each time of tawaf.
Permission for Changing the Type of Hajj
Majority of scholars in fiqh believe that the person who needs to do hajj al-ifrad cannot freely perform Hajj al-Tamattu'.
A menstruating woman or one who does not have enough time to perform 'umrat al-tamattu' needs to change his intention to hajj al-ifrad and perform its practices. These people need to perform al-'umra al-mufrada after hajj al-ifrad.
- The content of this article is mainly taken from حج افراد in Farsi WikiShia.