Muhammad b. Ja'far al-Mashhadi
|Full Name||Abu Abd Allah Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Ali al-Mashhadi al-Ha'iri|
|Well-Known As||Ibn al-Mashhadi|
|Professors||Abu 'Abd Allah Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Shahr Ashub, Muhammad b. Abu l-Qasim al-Tabari, ...|
|Students||Fakhkhar b. Ma'd al-Musawi, Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Nama al-Hilli, ...|
|Works||Al-Mazar al-kabir, ...|
Abū ʿAbd Allāh Muḥammad b. Jaʿfar b. ʿAlī al-Mashhadī al-Ḥāʾirī (Arabic: اَبو عَبدالله مُحَمَّد بن جَعفَر بن عَلى المَشهَدى الحائِرى) also known as Muhammad b. al-Mashhadi or Ibn al-Mashhadi was a Shi'a scholar in the 6th/12th century. Muhammad b. al-Mashhadi is counted among the grand Hadith masters that his name has been mentioned in narration certificates (ijazat al-hadith). Not much has been reported about his character except that his book Al-Mazar al-kabir is very well-received by Shi'a scholars.
Muhammad b. al-Mashhadi was a great Shi'a scholar who lived in the 6/12th century. There is no other report about him and his character. Even Sayyid Abu l-Qasim al-Khoei said that Muhammad b. al-Mashhadi's life and characteristics are unknown to us.
Some of his masters are:
- Abu 'Abd Allah Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Shahr Ashub.
- Muhammad b. Abu l-Qasim al-Tabari.
- 'Abd Allah b. ja'far Duristi.
- Shazan b. Jibra'il al-Qumi.
- Abu l-Husayn Yahya b. Hasan Bitriq.
- Warram b. Abi Firas.
- His father –ja'far b. 'Ali al-Mashhadi.
Some of his pupils who narrate from him are:
- Fakhkhar b. Ma'd al-Musawi.
- Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Nama al-Hilli.
- 'Ali b. al-Husayn b. Hammad al-Wasiti.
- Hibat Allah b. Salman.
In Other's Words
Al-Hurr al-'Amili said about him: "Shaykh Muhammad b. Ja'far b. al-Mashhadi, the great, knowledgeable, truthful narrator, has written some books and narrates from Shadhan b. Jibrai'l al-Qumi."
- Al-Mazar al-kabir is the most well-known work of Muhammad Ja'far b. al-Mashhadi about Ziyarat of the infallible Imams (a) and many of Shi'a scholars relied on it.
- Bughyat al-talib.
- Izah al-manasik.
- Al-Muhaddith al-Nuri mentioned that he authored a book by the title al-Misbah.
- Al-Mashhadi, al-Mazar al-kabir, P.7.
- Al-Mashhadi, al-Mazar al-kabir, P.12-14.
- Al-Mashhadi, al-Mazar al-kabir, P.16.
- Al-Mashhadi, al-Mazar al-kabir, P.5-6.
- Al-Mashhadi, al-Mazar al-kabir, P.18-20.
- Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far, al-Mazar al-kabir, ed. Qayyumi Isfahani. Qum: Nashr Qayyum, 1412/1992