Kamil al-ziyarat (book)
|Original title||کامل الزیارات|
|En. title||Kamil al-ziyarat|
|Translator||Sayyid Mohsen al-Husaini al-Milani|
Kāmil al-zīyārāt (Arabic: کامل الزیارات) is a book discussing the concept of ziyarat (visiting holy shrines or places) written by Ibn Qulawayh (d. 367 AH/976), the famous Shi'a Muhaddith and scholar. The book explains the rewards and the manner of visiting [the graves of] the Prophet (s), Ahl al-Bayt (a), offspring of Imams, and the faithful and quotes some traditions in this regard from Ahl al-Bayt (a). Kamil al-ziyarat is one of the most important hadith references of Shi'a and one of the most authentic references of other books of hadiths and supplications in the world of Shi'a from which Shi'a scholars and jurisprudents have always benefited. This work has also been translated into Farsi.
Names of the Book
Al-Najashi has called it Al-Ziyarat, while al-Shaykh al-Tusi has called it Jami' al-Ziyarat. However, its most famous name is Kamil al-ziyarat, though it has been called Kitab al-mazar as well.
The Author of the Book
- Main article: Ibn Qulawayh
Abu al-Qasim Ja'far b. Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Musa b. Masrur b. Qulawayh Qummi (d. 367 AH/976), known as Ibn Qulawayh, was one of the eminent Shi'a narrators in the fourth century AH. He was one of the best students of Muhammad b. Ya'qub al-Kulayni and of the most distinguished teachers of al-Shaykh al-Mufid. Ibn Qulawayh was a jurist] who issued fatwa and his opinions were accepted by both Ahl al-hadith (the People of hadith, traditionists) and the school of theologians. Ibn Qulawayh has composed many works the most important of which is Kamil al-ziyarat.
The Purpose of Writing
In his book, Ibn Qulawayh declares his purpose of writing as:
"I wrote this book to seek nearness to God, the Prophet (s), Imam 'Ali (a), Lady Fatima (a), and the infallible Imams (a), and also to promote visiting of those nobles among my brothers in religion; and tried to give all the faithful a present through spreading the knowledge of Ahl al-Bayt (a) and mentioning the spiritual reward of visiting them."
The Value and Status of the Book
Kamil al-ziyarat is one of the most important hadith sources of Shi'a and one of the most authentic references of hadith and dua books in the world of Shi'a from which Shi'a scholars and jurists have benefited during one thousand years after its composition; and its hadiths have been quoted and referred in important Shi'a hadith sources.
Reliability of the Narrators Mentioned in the Book
One of the features of the book is that Ibn Qulawayh has assured reliability of all the narrators, and according to his words, he has quoted hadiths of this book from the most authentic sources and references and he has not selected even one weak hadith.
This helps Shi'a scholars to count those narrators whose names have not been mentioned in the books of biographies of the narrators and only have been mentioned in the references of Kamil al-ziyarat as reliable.
Since the hadiths and traditions quoted in the book of Kamil al-ziyarat are highly reliable and have been quoted from authentic Usul references and sources, it is counted as one of the first-hand hadith references by the recent authors and Muhaddiths. It has been the reference of the book of al-Tahdhib by al-Shaykh al-Tusi. It is also one of the most authentic references for the recent books of supplication and ziyarats such as Mafatih al-jinan by Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi.
The Content of the Book
In this book, Ibn Qulawayا has discussed various aspects of ziyarat including its rewards, authenticity, legitimacy, and manners. Moreover, he has answered the questions raised by the opponents of ziyarat. This book contains authentic traditions regarding legitimacy of visiting the graves of the Prophet (s), Imams (a), and even the faithful.
A large majority of the book focuses on Sayyid al-Shuhada (a), the rewards and manner of visiting and ziyarat of him. The author also speaks about issues such as the prediction of Imam al-Husayn's (a) martyrdom, knowledge of angels about that and mourning of all the creation for him. Therefore, Kamil al-ziyarat is an old source for knowing about the life of Imam al-Husayn (a).
Kamil al-ziyarat contains 843 hadiths in 108 chapters including the following titles:
- The rewards for visiting the shrine of the Noble Prophet (s)
- Rewards and manners of visiting the shrine of Imam Ali (a)
- Rewards and manners of visiting the shrines of Imam al-Kazim (a) and Imam al-Jawad (a)
- Manner for visiting the shrines of other infallible Imams (a)
- Visiting the graves of the faithful.
- Visiting the shrines of Imams' (a) descendants.
Kamil al-ziyarat has been translated into English and it also has several translations into Persian.
- Najāshī, Rijal, p.124
- Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, p.92
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol.1 p.8
- Ibn Qūlawayh, Kāmil al-zīyārāt, p.37
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 1, p.27
- Ibn Qūlawayh, Kāmil al-zīyārāt, p. 4.
- Pāknīyā, "Āshnāyī bā manābiʿ dast-i awwal-i Shīʿa", p. 126-127.
- Pāknīyā, "Āshnāyī bā manābiʿ dast-i awwal-i Shīʿa", p. 127.
- Pāknīyā, "Āshnāyī bā manābiʿ dast-i awwal-i Shīʿa", p. 127-128.
- Ibn Qūlawayh, Jaʿfar b. Muḥammad. Kāmil al-zīyārāt. Tehran: Payām-i Ḥaqq, 1377 Sh.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir -al. Biḥār al-anwār li durar akhbār al-aʾimma al-aṭhār. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Wafāʾ, 1403 AH.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī -al. Fihrist asmaʾ musannifī l-Shīʿa. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1416 AH.
- Pāknīyā, ʿAbd al-Karīm. 1387 Sh. "Āshnāyī bā manābiʿ dast-i awwal-i Shīʿa: Kāmil al-zīyārāt." Muballighān 106:126-129.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan -al. Al-Fihrist. Qom: Nashr al-fiqāha, 1417 AH.
- English translation of book: http://www.ziaraat.org/books/KamiluzZiaraat.pdf