Kitab al-mazar (book)
|Kitāb al-mazār or Manāsik al-mazār|
|Original title||كِتاب المَزار؛ مَناسِك المَزار|
|Subject||Supplications and Ziyaras|
Kitāb al-mazār , Manāsik al-mazār (Arabic: كِتاب المَزار؛ مَناسِك المَزار) known as al-Mazār al-ṣaghīr (Arabic: المَزار الصَغير) was written by al-Shaykh al-Mufid (d. 413/1022). In this book, al-Shaykh al-Mufid collected hadiths about visiting the graves of the Prophet (s) and Imams (a). It is among the most authentic sources of books about ziyara and supplication upon which Shia scholars have relied.
- Main article: al-Shaykh al-Mufid
Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man (d. 413/1022) known as al-Shaykh al-Mufid was among Shia scholars of the end of 4th/10th century and beginning of 5th/11th century. He was among revivers of Islamic sciences and preachers of Shia culture and fiqh.
Goal of Writing
At the beginning of the book, al-Shaykh al-Mufid mentions his goal of writing it as:
Writing Approach and Order
This book has 96 chapters, the first part of which has 67 chapters and the second part has 29 chapters.
Message and Content
The book contains topics such as:
- Visiting Amir al-Mu'minin (a)
- Values of some places such as the mosque of Kufa and mosque of al-Sahla
- Obligation of visiting the grave of Imam al-Husayn (a)
- Reward for Ziyara Arba'in
- Visiting the grave of Aba l-Fadl al-'Abbas (a)
- Value of the soil of Karbala
- Visiting the grave of the Prophet (s)
- Visiting Imams (a) in Baqi' cemetery
- Ziyara Jami'a
- Visiting on behalf of someoneelse and its manners
- Value of visiting the graves of Shias
Value of the Book
Before Kitab al-Mazar, there was no other authentic independent book about the manner of visiting the graves of Imams (a). Shaykh al-Ta'ifa, Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. Hasan al-Tusi, one of the students of al-Shaykh al-Mufid, quoted a great part of this book in his Tahdhib al-ahkam.
Sayyid Ghiyath al-Din 'Abd al-Karim b. Tawus in his book Farahat al-ghura and Shaykh Taqi al-Din Ibrahim b. Ali b. Hasan Kaf'ami in his books al-Balad al-amin and al-Misbah benefited from this book.
Copies and Prints
- A copy of the book is in the Library of Astan Quds Radawi in Mashhad which is written in 957/1550. This copy is donated by the daughter of Mirza Rida Khan b. Muhammad Hasan Na'ini.
- A copy in the library of Jami' Mosque of Goharshad.
Al-Shaykh al-Mufid's Kitab al-mazar was published in 1409/1988 which was edited by Imam Mahdi (a) Institute.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from (کتاب المزار (شیخ مفید in Farsi WikiShia.