Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a) (Egypt)
|This article does not cite any references or sources.|
- This article is about shrine attributed to Lady Zaynab (a) in Egypt. For the other shrine in Syria, see Holy Shrine of Lady Zaynab (a).
Maqām of Lady Zaynab (a) (Arabic: مقام السیده زینب) in Egypt or Masjid al-Sayyida Zaynab (a) is a tomb located in Cairo attributed to Lady Zaynab (a), daughter of Imam Ali (a). This place is a visit destination for Shi'a and Sunnis who love the Ahl al-Bayt (a).
Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a) is located in al-Sayyida Zaynab (a) neighborhood in the southern region of Cairo. Al-Sayyida Zaynab (a) neighborhood is known as one of the oldest and most crowded places in Cairo. Near Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a), there is a street called Zayn al-'Abidin (a). Also, there is a square near this Maqam called "Hadrat Zaynab (a)".
There is a disagreement among historians regarding the person buried in this place and the history of its building. In different historical reports, the existence of a grave attributed to Lady Zaynab (a) in this location has been mentioned. According to an opinion, after the Event of Karbala, Lady Zaynab (a), daughter of Imam Ali (a), returned to Medina; but, following the force of the ruler of Medina for going out of the city, in 61/681, she went to Egypt, whose people were famous for loving the Ahl al-Bayt (a) and lived there and finally passed away in 62/682. According to this view, Lady Zaynab (a) was buried in a place which is now called "Masjid al-Sayyida Zaynab (a)".
There is a report saying that in 6th/12th century, contemporary with the government of Sayif al-Din Abu Bakr b. Ayyub, a person called Fakhr al-Din al-Tha'lab al-Ja'fari, governor of Cairo and among the noble leaders of Zaynabiyyun built a building in this place.
The building for the Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a) in Egypt in 10th/16th century was repaired by the governor of Egypt at the time of Sultan Salim Qanuni, the tenth Ottoman king. Then in 1174/1760-1, 'Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda (KadKhuda), one of the commanders of Egypt who made great efforts in reconstruction and expansion of cultural and pilgrimage cites in Egypt, reconstructed Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a). In 1210/1795-6, the Darih inside the Maqam was replaced by a Darih made of copper. Later, Muhammad Ali Pasha, the governor of Egypt reconstructed and expanded this place in 1270/1853-4.
In 1294/1877-8, the gate in from of the dome of Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a) was covered by Muhammad Tawfiq Pasha, with Egyptian and Istanbuli marble stone. Reconstruction of the dome, mosque and minaret of Maqam of Lady Zaynab (a) began in 1297/1879-80 by the governor of that time and in 1320/1902-3 finished.
- The material for this article was mainly taken from مقام حضرت زینب در مصر in Farsi wikishia.