Maqtal al-Husayn (by al-Muqarram)
- This article is about the book of "Maqtal al-Husayn (a)" written by al-Muqarram. For other usages, see Maqtal al-Husayn (disambiguation).
|Maqtal al-Husayn (a)|
|Author||'Abd al-Razzaq al-Musawi al-Muqarram|
|Original title||(مَقتَلُ الحُسَین(ع|
|Subject||Uprising of Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|En. title||Maqtal al-Husayn (Martyrdom Epic of Imam al-Husayn)|
|Translator||Yasin T. Al-Jibouri|
|En. publisher||Al-Kharsan Foundation for Publications|
Maqtal al-Ḥusayn (a) (Arabic: مَقْتَلُ الحُسَین), known as Maqtal al-Muqarram (Arabic: مَقْتَلُ المُقَرَّم) written by 'Abd al-Razzaq al-Muqarram from Shi'a scholars deals with the life of Imam al-Husayn (a), his uprising and martyrdom and the events after it, as well as the consequences of the Battle of Karbala.
About the Author
- Main article: 'Abd al-Razzaq al-Muqarram
Sayyid 'Abd al-Razzaq b. Muhammad al-Musawi al-Muqarram known as "al-Muqarram" (b. 1316/1898 in Najaf) was a Shi'a scholar of 14th/20th century . His fame is mostly because of his works about the lives of the Ahl al-Bayt (a) of the Prophet (s).
Al-Muqarram tried to cite from authentic sources and speak based on clarification, argumentation and proof. Through research and matching with authentic documents, he wrote the book based on reflection and fluency in stating the realities and delivering messages. He mentions many of the baseless and forged issues and rejects them with reason. Also, this book contains a series of discussions in jurisprudence, lexicon and literature in the footnotes and offers different researches regarding common terminology of transmitters of hadith so that the reader benefits the sources which the author has benefitted during his researches and discussions. There are different figures, including men, women and children in the battle of Karbala and sometimes, their names are mistaken with each other, and due to the method of the author, all such problems are solved in this book.
Generally, the book is organized in seven sections:
- First section: An introduction about the uprising of Imam al-Husayn (a)
- Second section: The story of Karbala
- Third section: Exiting Medina
- Fourth section: Moving toward Iraq
- Fifth section: Day of 'Ashura
- Sixth section: Martyrdom of the Ahl al-Bayt (a)
- Seventh section: Events after 'Ashura
In the main section of the book which is maqtal , the author has collected his discussions from different books and maqtals such as Maqtal al-Khwarazmi, Muthir al-ahzan, Nafas al-mahmum, Tadhkirat al-khawas, Tarikh al-Tabari, Al-Irshad of al-Shaykh al-Mufid, Al-Luhuf and Al-Amali of al-Shaykh al-Saduq and sometimes has quoted less reliable issues from books such as Asrar al-shahada. He has also mentioned poems and elegies of contemporary poets.
Translation and Publication
- English: Yasin T. Al-Jibouri has translated Maqtal al-Husayn (Martyrdom Epic of Imam al-Husayn) into English and the book is published by Al-Kharsan Foundation for Publications.
- Farsi: Maqtal al-Husayn has been translated to Persian, tilted as Chihra-yi Khunin-i Husayn Sayyid al-Shuhada' (a) (The Bloody Face of the Master of Martyrs (a) ) or Dastan-i Karbala (The Story of Karbala) by 'Azizullah 'Atarudi in 1972.
- Muqarram, Tarjuma-yi Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, p. 34.
- Muqarram, Tarjuma-yi Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, p. 38.
- Narrations about the martyrdom of Imam al-Husayn and his companion
- Muqarram, Tarjuma-yi Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, p. 282.
- Muqarram, ʿAbd al-Razzāq al-. Tarjuma-yi Maqtal al-Ḥusayn. Translated to Farsi by Muḥammad Mahdī ʿAzīz Allāhī Kirmānī. Qom: Nawīd-i Islām, 1381 Sh.