Mulla Ali Tihrani
|Full Name||Mulla Ali Tihrani|
|Well-Known Relatives||Hajj Mirza Husayn Khalili (his brother)|
|Professors||Muhammad Husayn Isfahani Ha'iri, Shaykh 'Ali Kashif al-Ghita', Muhammad Hasan Najafi, ...|
|Students||Mulla Muhammad Baqir Tustari, Shaykh 'Ali b. Husayn Khaqani and 'Abd al-Husayn Hirz al-Din.|
|Permission for Hadith|
|Sahib Jawahir,Mulla Ahmad Naraqi and Sayyid Jawad Husayni 'Amili|
|Permission for Hadith|
|Hajj Mirza Husayn Khalili, Shaykh Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani, Sayyid Hasan Sadr and Mirza Husayn Nuri|
|Works||Khza'in al-Ahkam, Ghusun al-Aykat al-Gharawiya fi al-Usul al-Fiqhiyya, ...|
Hājj Mullā ʿAlī Tihrānī (Persian: حاج ملا علی تهرانی) (b. 1226/1811 - d. 1297/1880) was a twelver jurist, narrator and expert in Rijal of 13/19 century. He studied under great scholars such as Sahib Fusul, Kashif al-Ghita' and Sahib Jawahir. He got expert in various fields so that it was said that he is the A'lam (the most knowledgeable) after Shaykh Ansari passed away. Mulla Muhammad baqir Tustari, Shaykh 'Ali b. Husayn al-Khaqani and others are listed among his students.
He was born in 1226/1811 in Najaf. His father, Hajj Mirza Khalil Tihhrani (d. 1280/1864) was the patriarch of Khalili family and was one of the most famous doctors in his time. Mirza Khalil had passed religious studies and was respected by scholars like: Shaykh Ja'far Kashif al-Ghita' and Sayyid Muhammad Mujahid. Mulla 'Ali's brother, Mirza Husayn was a famous jurist in the Constitutional Revolution (Mashruta) era and his other three brothers, Mirza Hasan, Mirza Muhammad and Mirza Baqir, were famous doctors in Najaf.
Education and Teachers
Hajj Mulla 'Ali Tihrani studied:
Jurisprudence under: Muhammad Ja'far Astarabadi (in Rijal), Shaykh Isam'il Burujidi,Abu Turab Hamadani and Muhammad Taqi Khurasani (in mathematics), Sahib Fusul, Shaykh 'Ali Kashif al-Ghita' and Muhammad Hasan Najafi (Sahib Jawahir)
He had narration certificate form scholars such as: Sahib Jawahir,Mulla Ahmad Naraqi and Sayyid Jawad Husayni 'Amili. Also his brother (Mirza Husayn), Shaykh Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani, Sayyid Hasan Sadr and Mirza Husayn Nuri (Sahib Mustadrak) received narration certificate from him.
His scholarly position was admired very much that a famous jurist believed that he is A'lam (the most knowledgeable) after Shaykh Ansari passed away. Mieza Husayn Nuri (Sahib Mustadrak) called him by "Shi'a's pride" and "Shari'a's reserve". Aqa Buzurg Tihrani said that he was the chief shayikh of certificate-giver shayikhs (Shaykh Mashyikh al-Ijaza).
There are stories about his pity and ascesis and also about his humility and virtuous traits. He was very determined to perform Ziyara of Imam al-Husayn (a) frequently. Many acts of wonder have been reported form him.
Various Fields of Knowledge
- Khza'in al-Ahkam, commentary on Talkhis al-Maram (written by 'Allama Hilli)
- Persian translation of Talkhis Hidayat al-Nasikin min al-Hujjaj wa al-Mu'tamirin (written by Muhammad Hasan Najafi) by the request of the author.
- Ghusun al-Aykat al-Gharawiya fi al-Usul al-Fiqhiyya.
- Commentary on the chapter of Wassiyah form Shara'i' al-Islam (written by Muhaqqiq al-Hilli)
- Islamic laws (from Tahara (purification) to the end of Salat al-Jama'a (congregational prayer)) under the title Al-Nubdha min al-Ahkam al-Shar'iyyah.
- Al-Fawa'id al-Rijaliyyah (in Hadith and Rijal) Muhammad Baqir Tustari glossed it.
- Subul al-Hidayah fi 'Ilm al-Dirayyah
- Hisab al-'Uqud, commentary on the narration of Abu Talib's faith.
- Commentary and glosses on al-Ta'liqat al-Bihbahaniyyah (written by Wahid Bihbahani d. 1206/1792)
- Glosses on Muntaha al-Maqal (written by Abu Ali Ha'iri d. 1216/1802) in Rijal.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from ملاعلی تهرانی in Farsi Wikishia.