Mustadrak safinat al-bihar (book)
|Mustadrak safinat al-biḥar|
|Author||Ali Namazi Shahrudi|
Mustadrak safīnat al-biḥār (Arabic: مُسْتَدْرَک سَفینة البِحار) is an Arabic book in 10 volumes written by Shaykh 'Ali Namazi Shahrudi (d. 1985). He wrote the book as a supplement to Safinat al-bihar by Muhaddith Qummi. Because of his mastery of Bihar al-anwar, he added contents that were missed by Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi. The collection includes a table of the contents and indexes of Bihar al-anwar, including its Qur'anic verses and exegeses as well as Islamic doctrines concerning with primary and secondary principles of Islam, the nature of things and their characteristics and effects for God, jurisprudential ancillaries, stories and narrations, sermons, supplications, and ziyarahs.
Main Article: 'Ali Namazi Shahrudi
'Ali Namazi Shahrudi (1915-1985), a Shiite scholar and author, was born in Shahrud. He accomplished his advanced studies in different Islamic disciplines in Najaf and Mashhad. Namazi Shahrudi wrote some books the most significant of which is Mustadrak safinat al-bihar. He is buried in the Holy Shrine of Imam al-Rida (a).
Mustadrak-writing is a common term among authors of Islamic disciplines. It consists in writing a book in order to supplement another book and compensate the contents missing in it ("mustadrak" literally means compensation). Mustadrak-writing began since the 4th/10th century among Muslims in different branches of Islamic disciplines, including jurisprudence, rijal, and hadith.
|Important Shi'i hadith collections||Author||Death||Number of hadiths||descriptions|
|al-Mahasin||Ahmad b. Muhammad al-Barqi||274/887||about 2604||Hadiths regarding different topics such as fiqh and ethics|
|al-Kafi||Muhammad b. Ya'qub al-Kulayni||329/940||about 16000||Variety of hadiths regarding the principles of beliefs, ethics, conducts, and fiqh|
|Man la yahduruh al-faqih||al-Shaykh al-Saduq||381/991||about 5500||Hadiths regarding fiqh|
|Tahdhib al-ahkam||al-Shaykh al-Tusi||460/1067||about 13600||Hadiths regarding fiqh|
|Al-Istibsar||al-Shaykh al-Tusi||460/1067||about 5500||Hadiths regarding fiqh|
|al-Wafi||al-Fayd al-Kashani||1091/1680||about 50,000||Collection of hadiths in the Four Books with eliminating repeated hadiths and explaining some hadiths|
|Wasa'il al-shi'a||al-Shaykh al-Hurr al-'Amili||1104/1692||35850||Hadiths regarding fiqh in the Four Books and over 70 other collections of hadiths|
|Bihar al-anwar||al-'Allama al-Majlisi||1110/1698||about 85,000||Hadiths from most of the Infallibles (a) regarding various issues|
|Mustadrak al-wasa'il||Mirza Husayn Nuri||1320/1902||23,514||Supplementation of hadiths regarding fiqh in Wasa'il al-shi'a|
|Safinat al-bihar||Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi||1359/1940||10 volumes||an alphabetically ordered index for Bihar al-anwar|
|Mustadrak safinat al-bihar||Shaykh 'Ali Namazi||1405/1984||10 volumes||Supplementation of Safinat al-bihar|
|Jami' ahadith al-Shi'a||Ayatollah Burujirdi||1380/1960||48,342||Including all Shiite hadiths regarding fiqh|
|Mizan al-hikma||Muhammad Muhammadi Reyshahri||contemporary||23,030||564 non-jurisprudential (not regarding fiqh) topics|
|al-Hayat||Muhammad Rida Hakimi||contemporary||12 volumes||40 chapters regarding theoretical and practical issues|
Namazi Shahrudi says in the introduction of his book that Safinat al-bihar is a precious unique book, but since the book, Bihar al-anwar, is very extensive and lengthy, many contents are missing in Muhaddith Qummi's book. Thus, a "Mustadrak" is written in order to supplement Safinat al-bihar.
In Mustadrak safinat al-bihar, the author follows the methods of Muhaddith Qummi, organizing and indexing the contents of Bihar al-anwar alphabetically. The author entered many more words in comparison with Safina, but he did not cite the references with symbols, as in Bihar and Safina. In his reference to Bihar al-anwar, he consulted the old print (Kumpani) as well as the new 110-volume print (Islamiyya). In his 34 years of constant efforts to writing the Mustadrak, Namazi Shahrudi tried to supplement the work of Muhaddith Qummi.
Here are some features of Mustadrak safinat al-bihar:
- Citation of the chains of transmitters of some mursal hadiths in jurisprudential books.
- Citation of the evidence for some ancillary jurisprudential rulings.
- Concentration of the majority of words and topics on divine doctrines and the divine wilaya.
- Some lexicological comments and an explanation of the whole or part of jurisprudential and other sorts of hadiths.
- Citations of hadiths not mentioned in Bihar from other hadith or jurisprudential sources.
- Elaboration of some doctrinal contents under relevant hadiths.
- Citation of Shiite hadiths from sources other than hadith books.
- Collection and organization of topic-based contents under beliefs, doctrines, wilaya, history, ethics, biographies of the Infallibles (a), worships, the nature and the characteristics of objects. For example, with regard to sermons, in addition to the classification of the sermons by the Infallibles (a), sermons of Amir al-Mu'minin (a) are cited which are concerned with monotheism, prophethood, the position of Ahl al-Bayt (a), their virtues, the characterization and the virtues of the Qur'an, the characterization of the creation of the world, sermons containing the sentence: "ask me before you miss me", battles of Jamal, Siffin and Nahrawan, malahim (battles), miscellaneous cited from Bihar and other books.
Sources of the Book
In Mustadrak, Namazi Shahrudi did not rest content with the sources of Bihar al-anwar. He also referred to contemporary sources, especially with respect to the virtues of Ahl al-Bayt (a).
- al-Taj al-jami' li l-usul al-'amma
- Ihqaq al-haqq
- Tafsir al-burhan
- Sahih al-Bukhari
- Fada'il al-khamsa
- Madinat al-ma'ajiz
- Sahih Muslim
- Shawahid al-tanzil (book)
- Tafsir al-Fakhr al-Razi
- al-Nihaya fi gharib al-hadith wa al-athar
- Hayat al-haywan al-kubra
- Ghayat al-maram
- Rijal al-Kashshi
- The Four Books
- Waq'at Siffin
- Majma' al-bayan
- Jawahir al-kalam
- Minhaj al-bara'a by Habib Allah Khu'i
- Hilyat al-abrar
- Ma'ani al-akhbar
- 'Ilal al-shara'i'
- al-Amali by al-Shaykh al-Mufid
- 'Umdat al-talib
- Kitab al-Ghayba by al-Shaykh al-Tusi
- Basa'ir al-darajat
- 'Awa'id al-ayyam
- Nahj al-sa'ada
- Tatimmat al-muntaha
- Tafsir al-'Ayyashi
- Ithbat al-hudat
- Kamil al-ziyarat
The 10-volume collection was published by the Office of Islamic Publications (Daftar-i Intisharat-i Islami) affiliated with Ja'mi'a Mudarrisin (Society of the Teachers of the Islamic Seminary of Qom) in 1418/1997.
- Namāzī, Mustadrak Safīnat al-biḥār, vol. 1, p. 26.
- Muḥaddith-i Rabbānī, vol. 2, p. 828, 829.
- Namāzī, "Zandigīnāma-yi Ayatullāh Namāzī Shāhrūdī", p. 28-29.
- Namāzī, "Zandigīnāma-yi Ayatullāh Namāzī Shāhrūdī", p. 28.
- Muḥaddith-i Rabbānī, vol. 2, p. 828, 828.
- Muḥaddith-i Rabbānī. Qom: Nūr al-Maṭāf, 1389 Sh.
- Namāzī Shāhrūdī, ʿAlī. Mustadrak Safīnat al-biḥār. Qom: Daftar-i Nashr-i Islāmī, 1389 Sh.
- Namāzī, Muḥammad. 1391 Sh. "Zandigīnāma-yi Ayatullāh Namāzī Shāhrūdī." Safīnat al-Biḥar 34:8-30.