Lunar Hijri Months
Shawwāl (Arabic:شوال) or Shawwāl al-Mukarram (شوّال المکرّم) or Shawwal al-Mukarrama (شوّال المکرّمة) is the tenth month of Hijri Calendar. The first day of this month is Eid al-Fitr. Literally Shawwal means "to take provisions for going on a journey." When the months were named this month was coincided with the hunting season of Arabs, so it was called Shawwal.
Prophet Muhammad (s) said this month was called Shawwal because the sins of the faithful and negative consequences of their actions are lifted.
|Practices of Shawwal|
|Eve of the First Day||• Performing Ghusl•Ihya' (vigil)• Reciting this supplication after Maghrib, 'Isha', Morning and Eid al-Fitr prayers: اَللهُ اَكْبَرُ اللهُ اَكْبَرُ لا اِلـهَ إلاّ اللهُ وَاللهُ اَكْبَرُ، اللهُ اَكْبَرُ وَللهِ الْحَمْدُ، اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ عَلى ما هَدانا وَلَهُ الشُّكْرُ على ما اَوْلانا(God is the greatest, God is the greatest. There is no god but God and God is the greatest. God is the greatest and (all) praise be to God. Praise be to God for that He has guided us. Thank be to Him for what He has bestowed upon us).• Ziyarah of Imam al-Husayn (a).• Reciting the special Salawat (salutation) of Jumu'a eve, ten times: يَا دَائِمَ الْفَضْلِ عَلَى الْبَرِيَّةِ يَا بَاسِطَ الْيَدَيْنِ بِالْعَطِيَّةِ يَا صَاحِبَ الْمَوَاهِبِ السَّنِيَّةِ صَلِّ عَلَى مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِهِ خَيْرِ الْوَرَى سَجِيَّةً وَ اغْفِرْ لَنَا يَا ذَا الْعُلَى فِي هَذِهِ الْعَشِيَّةِ (O, He whose grace is constant on the creatures, O, He whose hands are open for generosity, O, He who bestow precious gifts, sent Your salutation on Muhammad and his household, the best people in moral and forgive us, O, the Exulted, in this evening).|
|First Day||• Giving Zakat al-Fitra before performing Eid al-Fitr Prayer.• Performing Ghusl.• Wearing clean clothes and using perfumes.• Eating something before Eid al-Fitr prayer.• Performing Eid al-Fitr Prayer.• Ziyarah of Imam al-Husayn (a).• Reciting al-Nudba Supplication.|
- Main article: Historical Anniversaries of Shawwal
- Eid al-Fitr (Shawwal 1).
- Battle of Hunayn (Shawwal 4, 8/630).
- Battle of Uhud; martyrdom of Hamza b. 'Abd al-Muttalib (Shawwal 7, 3/625).
- Demolition of al-Baqi' by Wahhabis (Shawwal 8, 1344/1926).
- Demise of Ayatollah Sayyid Husayn Burujirdi (Shawwal 12, 1380/1961.
- Demise of 'Abd al-'Azim al-Hasani (Shawwal 15, 252/866.
- Martyrdom of Imam Ja'far b. Muhammad al-Sadiq (a) (Shawwal 25, 148, 765).
- Demise of Sayyid Ruhollah Musavi Khomeini (Shawwal 28, 1409/1989).
• The material for this article has been mainly taken from شوال المکرم in Farsi WikiShia.