Shaykh Muhammad Sharif Razi
|Full Name||Shaykh Muhammad Sharif Razi|
|Well-Known As||Sharif Razi|
|Place of Birth||Rey|
|Studied in||Rey, Najaf, Qom|
|Burial Place||Shaykhan Cemetery|
|Professors||Imam Khomeini, Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi, Sayyid Muhammad Rida Golpayegani|
|Works||Ganjineh-ye daneshmandan (the treasures of scholars), Athar al-Hujja|
|He played role in the establishment of Islamic government|
Shaykh Muhammad Sharīf Rāzi (b. 1340/1922 d.1421/2000) was among Shi'a scholars in 14th/20th and 15th/21st centuries. He studied under Imam Khomeini, Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi and Sayyid Muhammad Rida Golpayegani. He wrote some works, the most famous of which is Ganjineh-ye daneshmandan (the treasures of scholars). In addition to scientific activities, he had political activities and was imprisoned by Pahlavi regime and exiled because of his efforts for the establishment of the Islamic government.
Sharif Razi was born in 1340/1921 in Rey. Until the age of 13, he studied with his father Mulla 'Alijan, who was among dhakirs of the Ahl al-Bayt (a). He also continued his education in the secondary school. Sharif Razi lost his father in 1353 /1934 and since then, began to work for living beside his education due to the difficulties of life and deprivations he and his family suffered after the death of his father. At the age of 17, he immigrated to Qom following the encouragement of Shaykh Muhammad Taqi Bafqi who was at that time living in exile in Rey. Despite the despotism of Reza Shah and the suffocation he had made in the society, Muhammad Sharif Razi continued his religious educations and learned preliminaries and Arabic literature under the teachers of seminary such as Adib Tehrani.
Shaykh Muhammad Sharif Razi had a heart attack at the night of Sha'ban 3rd, 1416/1998 and finally passed away on the eve of Muharram 9th, 1421/2000, at the age of 79 and was buried in Shaykhan cemetery of Qom.
Due to fighting with Pahlavi regime and making efforts for the establishment of the Islamic government, he was imprisoned since the coming of Sayyid Husayn Burujirdi until 1374 AH. He was then exiled to Kerman. After being released, he returned to Qom and by the order of Sayyid Muhammad Hujjat, Sayyid Sadr al-Din Sadr and Sayyid Muhammad Taqi Khwansari, helped Shaykh Ali Akbar Burhan for the establishment of the seminary of Rey and they established Burhaniyya seminary school. Later, due to the written and oral invitations of Grand Ayatullahs, he immigrated to Qom in 1383/1963, and stayed there until the end of his life. During these years, he was busy teaching and writing and because of preaching and his researches traveled to different places in Iran and some other counties.
Most of his activities included writing and translating many books in different topics, especially in history and biographies of Shi'a luminaries, especially contemporary scholars. His most famous work is Ganjineh-ye daneshmandan. His works which were published during his lifetime are as follows:
- A treatise about Imamzada Dawud of Tehran (1360/1941)
- Muqaddima and Ta'liqat tanzih al-qummiyyin of Shaykh Abu-l Hasan al-Amili (1363/1944)
- Al-Taqwa wa ma adrak ma al-taqwa treatise about the biography of Muhammad Taqi Bafqi (1365/1945)
- Biography of 'Abd al-'Azim al-Hasani" and the other Imamzadas around him. (1366/1947)
- Athar al-Hujja or encyclopedia of Seminary of Qom (1374/1955)
- Bustan al-Razi in Fiqh,theology and Ethic in Arabic. (1385/1965)
- Why I became Shi'a in proving Shi'a.
- Tuhfa-i qudsi dar 'ala'im zuhur-i hadrat-i Mahdi (Tuhfa-i qudsi in the signs of reappearance of Imam al-Mahdi (a))
- Translation of the third volume of al-Kuna wa l-alqab of Shaykh Abbas Qummi known as well-known scholars.
- Gawhar wazin a translation of Dar al-thamin of 'Allama Tabasi
- Ta'liqat wa Ikhraj Masadir of Wasa'il al-Shi'a of al-Hurr al-'Amili
- Ta'liqat Ijazat of Bihar al-anwar of 'Allama al-Majlisi in six volumes.
- Ta'liqat wa Ikhraj Masadir of Makatib al-a'imma in two volumes.
- Risala Burhan in the biography of Hujjat al-Islam Burhan
- Biography of Sayyid Abu l-Qasim Kashani
- Ganjina-yi danishmandan in the biography of scholars in nine volumes.
- Translation of the 6th volume of al-Ghadir in two volumes. (1404/1984)
- Translation of five volumes of Majma' al-bayan
- Karbala'i Kazim the memorizer of the Qur'an
- Biography and the masters of Muhammad Husayn Najafi Amili
- Akhtaran Furuzan of Rey and Tehran (1412/1992)
- Tutiya-yi Nazar the translation of Kuhl al-basar fi sirat sayyid al-bashar
- Kiramat al-salihin
- The material for this article is mainly taken from محمد شریفرازی in Farsi WikiShia.