Zubdat al-aqwal fi khulasat al-rijal (book)
|Zubdat al-aqwal fi khulasat al-rijal|
|Author||Sayyid Husayn b. Kamal al-Din al-Abraz al-Husayni|
|Original title||زُبْدَة الأقْوال فی خُلاصَة الرِجال|
Zubdat al-aqwāl fī khulāṣat al-rijāl (Arabic: زُبْدَة الأقْوال فی خُلاصَة الرِجال) is an Arabic book concerning the study of rijal. The book was authored by Sayyid Husayn b. Kamal al-Din al-Abraz al-Husayni, a Shiite scholar in 10th/16th and 11th/17th centuries. The book contains 29 chapters and an epilogue. It is only concerned with significant issues regarding the transmitters of hadiths, such as their reliability or unreliability and their generation, without going into details.
The book contains 29 chapters each consisting of a number of sections in which the transmitters of hadiths are discussed in an alphabetic order. Chapter 29 of the book is devoted to transmitters of hadiths who are known with their kunyas. And the book's epilogue tackles with ten problems in the science of rijal.
At the beginning of each section, the author mentions the names of reliable (thiqa) and praised (mamduh) Shiite transmitters of hadiths. He then mentions transmitters of hadiths who have the same names, and whose fathers have the same names, as the previously mentioned transmitters of hadiths and their fathers, whether or not they are reliable, unreliable, or unknown. The author outlines the main issues about the transmitters of hadiths, such as their reliability or unreliability as well as their generations, without going into details.
Here are some sources of the book:
- Rijal al-Najashi written by Ahmad b. 'Ali al-Najashi (d. 450/1058)
- Al-Fihrist by al-Shaykh al-Tusi (d. 460/1067)
- Al-Rijal by al-Shaykh al-Tusi
- Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal
- Kitab man la yahduruh al-faqih by al-Shaykh al-Saduq (d. 381/991)
- 'Uyun akhbar al-Rida by al-Shaykh al-Saduq
- Al-Irshad by al-Shaykh al-Mufid (d. 413/1022)
- Rijal Ibn al-Ghada'iri by Ahmad b. Husayn al-Ghada'iri (d. 450/1058)
- Al-Fihrist by Muntajab al-Din al-Razi (d. 585/1189)
- Ma'alim al-'ulama' by Ibn Shahrashub (d. 588/1192)
- Rijal Ibn Dawud by Hasan b. Dawud al-Hilli (d. in the 8th/14th century)
- Idah al-ishtibah fi asma' al-ruwat by al-'Allama al-Hilli (d. 726/1325)
- Khulasat al-aqwal fi ma'rifat ahwal al-rijal by al-'Allama al-Hilli.
- Hashiya Khulasat al-rijal by al-'Allama al-Hilli, al-Shahid al-Thani (d. 966/1559)
- Manhaj al-maqal fi tahqiq ahwal al-rijal (Rijal al-kabir) by Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Ibrahim al-Istarabadi (d. 1028/1619)
- Talkhis al-maqal fi ma'rifat al-rijal (Rijal al-wasit) by Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Ibrahim al-Istarabadi
- Jami' al-aqwal fi ma'rifat al-rijal by Yusuf b. Muhammad al-Husayni al-'Amili (d. 982/1575)
Manuscripts and Publication
The editor of the published version of Zubdat al-aqwal has referred to two manuscripts of the book:
- A manuscript in the Seminary School of Imam al-Sadiq (a) in Brujird.
- Another manuscript in Markaz Ihya' al-Turath al-Islami (The Center for the Revival of the Islamic Heritage).
The book has been published as edited by Sayyid Mujtaba Suhufi in 2007 in Dar al-Hadith in Qom.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from زبدة الاقوال فی خلاصة الرجال (کتاب in Farsi WikiShia.