Ḥajj (Arabic: الحجّ) is an act of worship and one of the most important sacraments in Islam, which consists of pilgrimage to Mecca to perform special rituals. In addition to worshiping aspect, hajj has social, economic, and political aspects and it is the largest gathering of Muslims that happens once a year from the eighth to the twelfth day of Dhu l-Hijja, the 12th month of the Hijri Calendar. Adherents to all Islamic sects gather in Mecca during hajj. Undertaking the hajj at least once is a duty for Muslims who are physically and financially able to make the journey. Hajj starts with ihram which is by putting on a special cloth in special places called "miqat". After ihram, the pilgrim is not allowed to do certain actions; on the other hand the pilgrim has to carry out the other rites of hajj (manasik al-hajj) which consist of staying in 'Arafat, staying in al-Mash'ar al-Haram, going to Mina, ramy al-jamarat (stoning the pillars), sa'y between al-Safa and al-Marwa, tawaf al-nisa' and its prayer, tawaf al-ziyara and its prayer, and sacrifice. Countinue reading...
Other Websites of Ahl al-Bayt World Assembly
Did you know...
- Jami' al-Azhar (al-Azhar University) were built in the time of Fatimids in order to teach Isma'ili teachings?
- ...the Prophet (s) shrouded Fatima bt. Asad (a) in his dress and before her burial, he lay down in her grave to pray for her?
- ... Muhammad Taqi al-Shirazi issued a fatwa in support of Iraqi independence in 1337/1918 to the effect that no Muslim has the right to elect a non-Muslim as ruler.
- ... according to some reports, the Wa In Yakad Verse is useful to prevent evil eyes of envious people?
- 2006 CE - Demise of Sayyid Mahdi Yathribi (Ramadan 6, 1427 AH)
Tomorrow, Wednesday: Safar 12/September 30
- Demise of Prophet Aaron (a), the brother and companion of Moses (a)
- 1207 CE - Birth of Jalal al-Din Muhammad Balkhi (Rabi' I 6, 604)
- 1990 CE - Demise of Sayyid Muhammad Sadiq Lawasani (Rabi' I 10, 1411)
- 2014 CE - Demise of Iftikhar Hussain Ansari, Ra'is al-'Ulama and president of Jammu and Kashmir Shia Association (Dhu l-Hijja 5, 1435)
Thursday: Safar 13/October 1
- 646 CE - Writing of Supplication of Sabah for the first time (Dhu l-Hijja 11, 25)
- 827 CE - Birth of Imam al-Hadi (a) according to some account (Rajab 2, 212)
- 1343 CE – Martyrdom of Hasan b. Muhammad al-Sakakini (Jumada I 11, 744 AH)
- 1902 CE - Demise of Mirza Husayn Nuri (Jumada II 27, 1320)
- 1961 CE - Demise of Hashim Mudarris Qazwini (Rabi' II 20, 1381)
Friday: Safar 14/October 2
- 1953 CE - Demise of Sayyid 'Abd Allah Biladi Bushihri (Muharram 23, 1373)
Saturday: Safar 15/October 3
- 1888 CE - Demise of Mulla 'Ali Kani (Muharram 27, 1306)
Monday: Safar 17/October 5
- 1894 CE - Demise of Taj al-'Ulama (Rabi' II 4, 1312)
- 1965 CE - Exile of Sayyid Ruh Allah Khomeini from Turkey to Iraq (Jumada II 9, 1385)
Tuesday: Safar 18/October 6
- 680 CE - Habib b. Muzahir failed to convince the tribe of Banu Asad to help Imam al-Husayn (a) (Muharram 6, 61)
- 680 CE - The first siege of the Euphrates in the Event of Karbala (Muharram 6, 61)
- 1850 CE - Birth of Mulla Husayn Fisharaki (Dhu l-Qa'da 29, 1266)
- 1855 CE - Demise of Mulla Muhammad Taqi Astarabadi (Muharram 24, 1272)
- 680 CE - 'Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad's speech against Imam al-Husayn (a) in the Mosque of Kufa (Muharram 4, 61)
- 680 CE - Martyrdom of Qays b. Mushir envoy of Imam al-Husayn (a) in Kufa (Muharram 4, 61)
- 680 CE - Access of Imam Husayn's (a) to water was blocked during the Event of Karbala (Muharram 7, 61)
Thursday: Safar 20/October 8
- 61 AH – Arba'in Day: The 40th day after the martyrdom of Imam al-Husayn (a) (November 19, 680 CE)
- 61 AH – The captives of Karbala went back to Karbala (according to some narrations). (November 19, 680 CE)
- 680 CE - Dispatching the army by 'Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad in order to prevent people of Kufa from joining the army of Imam al-Husayn (a) (Muharram 5, 61)
You may also like...