Munāfiq (Arabic: المنافق) or hypocrite is a person who has not truly embraced Islam but pretends to be a believer. The phenomenon of hypocrisy (nifaq) appeared in Islamic history when the Prophet (s) migrated to Medina and gained power there, because unbelievers found it in their worldly interest to pretend being Muslims. "Hypocrite" is among the concepts that have been repeated in the Quran several times. Sura al-Munafiqun (Quran 61) mentions some of the characteristics of the hypocrites and rebukes them. According to historical reports, the Prophet (s) used to tolerate the hypocrites but at the same time counteract their evil works. For instance, Masjid Dirar, which had become a base for the hypocrites were destroyed by the Prophet’s command. Countinue reading...
Did you know...
- Jami' al-Azhar (al-Azhar University) were built in the time of Fatimids in order to teach Isma'ili teachings?
- ...the Prophet (s) shrouded Fatima bt. Asad (a) in his dress and before her burial, he lay down in her grave to pray for her?
- ... Muhammad Taqi al-Shirazi issued a fatwa in support of Iraqi independence in 1337/1918 to the effect that no Muslim has the right to elect a non-Muslim as ruler.
- ... according to some reports, the Wa In Yakad Verse is useful to prevent evil eyes of envious people?
- 64 AH – Destruction of Ka'ba by the army of Yazid b. Mu'awiya, (October 30, 683 CE).
- 628 CE - Move of the Muslim's army under the command of the Prophet (s) toward Khaybar (Jumada II 12, 7)
- 685 CE - Beginning of uprising of al-Mukhtar (Rabi' I 12, 66)
- 713 CE - Martyrdom of Imam al-Sajjad (a) (Muharram 25, 95)
Tomorrow, Wednesday: Rabi' I 4/October 21
- 1 AH – Prophet Muhammad left the Thawr Cave and moved toward Yathrib (September 19, 622 CE)
- 858 CE - Martyrdom of Ibn Sikkit (Rajab 5, 244)
- 978 CE - Demise of Ibn Qulawayh (Rabi' I 10, 368)
Thursday: Rabi' I 5/October 22
- 117 AH – Demise of Sukayna bt. al-Husayn, the daughter of Imam al-Husayn (a) and Rabab, (April 4, 735 CE).
- 965 AH - Martyrdom of al-Shahid al-Thani (January 5, 1558)
- 658 CE - Birth of Imam al-Sajjad (a) according to some account (Jumada I 15, 38)
- 680 CE - Departure of the Captives of Karbala from Kufa towards Syria (Muharram 19, 61)
- 712 CE - Martyrdom of Imam al-Sajjad (a) (according to some reports) (Muharram 12, 94)
Friday: Rabi' I 6/October 23
- 631 CE - Demise of Ibrahim son of the Prophet Muhammad (s) (Rajab 18, 10)
- 680 CE - Burial of Jawn, the servant of Abu Dhar al-Ghifari, in Karbala (Muharram 20, 61)
- 816 CE - Arrival of Lady Fatima al-Ma'suma (a) in Qom (Rabi' I 23, 201)
- 1977 CE - Demise of Sayyid Mustafa Khomeini (Dhu l-Qa'da 10, 1397)
Sunday: Rabi' I 8/October 25
- 260 AH – Martyrdom of Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a), the eleventh Imam of Twelver Shi'a, and beginning of the Imamate of Imam al-Mahdi (a), (January 1, 874 CE).
Monday: Rabi' I 9/October 26
- 66 AH – Death of 'Umar b. Sa'd, the commander of enemies in the Battle of Karbala, (October 14, 685 CE).
- 690 CE - Murder of Ibrahim b. Malik al-Ashtar (Jumada I 13, 71)
- 870 CE - Death of al-Zubayr b. Bakkar (Dhu l-Qa'da 23, 256)
- 1973 CE - Demise of Sayyid Ahmad Husayni Zanjani (Ramadan 29, 1393)
- 1988 CE - Demise of Sayyid Ruh Allah Khatami (Rabi' I 15, 1409)
- 1999 CE - Demise of Tahira Saffarzada (Rajab 16, 1420)
- 2019 CE – Demise of Al-Sayyid Ja'far Murtada al-'Amili (b. 1364/1945) a Shiite scholar and expert in the history of Islam and Shiism and a Shiite biographer, (Safar 27, 1441 AH)
Tuesday: Rabi' I 10/October 27
- Demise of prophet Lot (a) according to some narrations
- 45 BH – Demise of Abd al-Muttalib the paternal grandfather of Prophet Muhammad (s) and the chief of the Quraysh (February 4, 578 CE)
- 28 BH – Marriage of the Prophet (s) with Lady Khadija (a) 26 years after 'Am al-Fil, (July 24, 595 CE)
- 368 AH - Demise of Ibn Qulawayh (October 21, 978)
- 1009 AH - Demise of al-Sayyid Muhammad al-Musawi al-'Amili (September 19, 1600)
- 1846 CE – Demise of Mulla Muhammad Isma'il Fada'i Astani (Dhu l-Qa'da 7, 1262 AH)
- 1895 CE – Demise of Sayyid Muhammad Baqir Khwansari (Jumada I 8, 1313 AH)
- 1979 CE – Demise of Sayyid Jalal al-Din Husayni Urmawi (Dhu l-Hijja 5, 1399 AH)
Wednesday: Rabi' I 11/October 28
- 1088 CE – Demise of Qadi b. Barraj (Sha'ban 9, 481 AH)
Thursday: Rabi' I 12/October 29
- 'Am al-Fil - Birth of Prophet Muhammad (s) according to Sunnis, which is the first day of the Week of Unity in the Islamic World (May 6, 570)
- 1 AH - Arrival of the Prophet (s) in Medina (September 27, 622)
- 1 AH - Legislation of Prayer as a daily duty for Muslims (September 27, 622)
- 11 AH - Demise of the Prophet (s) according to Sunnni sources (June 7, 632)
- 66 AH - The uprising of al-Mukhtar al-Thaqafi (October 20, 685)
- 1284 AH - Demise of Sultan al-'Ulama, the Indian scholar (July 14, 1867)
- 1400 AH - Demise of Sayyid Mahdi Qazwini (January 30, 1980)</noinclude>
- 1436 AH - Demise of Yahya Ansari Shirazi (January 4, 2015)
You may also like...
Other Websites of Ahl al-Bayt World Assembly