- January 1 – Beginning of the imamate of Imam al-Mahdi (a) (Rabi' I 8, 260 AH).
- January 1 – The Minor Occultation of Imam al-Mahdi (a) started (Rabi' I 8, 260 AH) and continued until 329/941; .
- January 1 – Martyrdom of Imam al-Hasan al-Askari, the eleventh Imam of Twelver Shi'a, (Rabi' I 8, 260 AH).
- Narjis, wife of Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a) and mother of Imam al-Mahdi (aj) (According to narration of al-Shaykh al-Saduq)
- 'Abd Allah b. Sa'd al-Baghdadi
- Fadl b. Shadhan, a Shi'a faqih and a companion of Imam al-Hadi (a)
- Muhammad b. 'Isa b. 'Ubayd al-Yaqtini, a Muhaddith who's narrated from Imam al-Jawad (a) and is respected in Rijal sources
- Hunayn b. Ishaq, a physician who translated some medical works from Greek to Arabic
- Ya'qub b. Ishaq al-Kindi, Muslim philosopher and translator of many philosophical works from Greek to Arabic