Mother of Imam al-Mahdi (a)
Tomb of Narjis (a) Khatun in Samarra. Photo by: Hamed Malekpur/Fars.
|Religious Affiliation||First Christianity and then Islam|
|Well-known Relatives||Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a) (husband), Imam al-Mahdi (a) (son)|
|Place of Residence||Samarra|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Askariyyan, Samarra|
al-Mas'udi is the first historian who has reported about the mother of Imam al-Mahdi (a). According to his report, Imam al-Mahdi's (a) mother was a slave woman named Narjis (a). Al-Shaykh al-Tusi narrated a hadith which says that her name was Rayhana but it follows that she was also called Narjis (a), Sayqal and Susan.
It is possible that her original name was Narjis (a) and the other name except for Sayqal was given to her by her lady, Hakima, the daughter of Imam al-Jawad (a). People of that time called their servants by various names for optimism. Narjis (a), Rayhana and Susan are all flower names (daffodil, basil and lily).
The first narration about her nationality goes back to 286/899. Al-Shaykh al-Saduq is the first scholar who brought up this topic. According to this narration, she was a Christian from Roman Empire who was captured by Muslims. Nakhkhas –one of the companions of Imam al-Hadi (a)- bought her from the slave market in Baghdad and sent her to Imam al-Hadi (a) in Samarra.
However, this narration loses its authenticity afterward and looks more like a fairy tale. It continues that the mother of twelfth Imam was Malika bt. Yusha' the grand-daughter of Caesar from his daughter, and her mother was a descendant of Simon, the disciple of Jesus (a). When Malika was in his grand-father's palace, she dreamed lady Mary (a), Jesus's mother, and Lady Fatima (a), the Prophet's (s) daughter. Lady Fatima (a) invited her to embrace Islam and convinced her to let herself to be captured by Muslims.
Criticism of this Hadith
Authenticity of this narration have been questioned from several aspects. The most dubious point is the last part. First, there was no major conflict between Abbasid and Romans after 242/856-857 and there is no report in the sources that the Roman Emperor asked Abbasid to free her grand-daughter.
Second, early authors such as al-Qummi, Nawbakhti, al-Kulayni and al-Mas'udi who were contemporaries of al-Shaybani - the narrator of the hadith - did not mention this hadith in their works. Also, al-Kashshi, who was acquainted with al-Shaybani, asserts that he was from Ghulat.
But why later Shi'a scholars ignored these hadiths and believed that al-Shaybani's hadith is authentic? It is possible that it was because his hadith implies that Imam al-Mahdi's (a) mother was from a noble family with a high social rank. Also, the relation between Imam al-Mahdi (a) and Jesus (a) in this hadith fascinated them, because there are some hadiths from the Prophet (s) which imply that they both rise up together and save the world from injustice and tyranny.
Apparently, al-Shaykh al-Mufid has narrated a sahih hadith about the mother of Imam al-Mahdi (a). He narrated: "she was a slave women who was brought up in the house of Hakima, Imam al-Hadi's sister, and when Imam (a) saw her face, foretold that she will bear a child by the special blessing of God."
According to al-Shaykh al-Saduq, she passed away before 260/874. But according to al-Najashi, she was alive after this year and hid in the house of Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Hamza who was a close companion of Imam al-'Askari (a).
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 432; Khuṣaybī, al-Hidāya al-kubrā, p. 248; Ṭūsī, al-Ghayba, p. 213.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 432; Ṭūsī, al-Ghayba, p. 272; Ibn Ḥazm, Jumhurat ansāb al-ʿarab, p. 61; Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 13, p. 121.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 432; Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 13, p. 121; Ibn Abī al-Thalaj, Tārīkh al-aʾimma, p. 26.
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 51, p. 28.
- Salīmīyān, Darsnāma-ye mahdawīyyat, p. 182.
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 51, p. 2.
- Ṣadr, Mawsūʿa al-Imām al-Mahdī, vol. 1, p. 242.
- Muḥammadī Reyshahrī, Dānishnāmah-yi Imām al-Mahdī, vol. 2, p. 179.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 2, p. 107, hadith 14.
- Salīmīyān, Farhangnāma-ye mahdawīyyat, p. 374; Nuʿmānī, Kitāb al-Ghayba, p. 163; Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol.1, p. 329.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 431.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 268.
- ʿAlawī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn. 1st edition. Qom: Kitābkhāna-yi Marʿashī Najafī, 1409 AH.
- Baḥrānī, Yūsuf al-. Al-Ḥadāʾiq al-nāḍira fī aḥkām al-ʿitrat al-ṭāhira. Edited by Muḥammad Taqī Irawānī. Najaf: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīya, 1377 AH.
- Dhahabī, Muḥammad b. al-Aḥmad al-. Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ. Edited by Shuʿayb al-Arnaʾūt. Beirut: 1405 AH.
- Fattāl al-Nayshābūrī, Muḥammad b. Ḥasan. Rawḍat al-wāʿiẓīn. Edited by Ḥusayn Aʿlamī. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī, 1406 AH.
- Ibn Abī al-Thalaj. Tārīkh al-aʾimma. Qom: Majmūʿa Nafīsa, 1396 AH.
- Ibn al-Mashhadī, Muḥammad. Al-Mazār al-kabīr. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī. Qom: Nashr-i Islāmī, 1419 AH.
- Irbilī, ʿAlī b. ʿĪsā al-. Kashf al-ghumma fī maʿrifat al-aʾimma. Edited by Sayyid Hashim Rasūlī Maḥallātī. Beirut: Nashr-i al-Kitāb, 1401 AH.
- Jāsim Ḥusayn. Tārīkh-i sīyāsī-yi ghaybat-i Imām dawāzdahum. Translated by Muḥammad Taqī Ayatullāhī. Tehran: Amīrkabīr, 1385 Sh.
- Khuṣaybī, Ḥusayn b. Ḥamdān al-. al-Hidāya al-kubrā. Beirut: 1411 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1407 AH.
- Muqaddas, Iḥsān. Rāhnama-yi amākin-i zīyāratī wa sīyāḥatī dar Iraq. Tehran: Mashʿar, 1388 Sh.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1413 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār al-jāmiʿa li-durar akhbār al-aʾimmat al-aṭhār. Tehran: Islāmīya, 1363 Sh.
- Muḥammadī Reyshahrī, Muḥammad. Dānishnāmah-yi Imām al-Mahdī. Translated by ʿAbd al-Hādi Masʿūdī. Sāzmān-i Chāp wa Nashr-i Dār al-Ḥadīth, 1393 Sh.
- Masʿūdī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn al-. Ithbāt al-waṣīyya. Third edition. Qom: Muʾassisat Anṣārīyān, 1426 AH.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Rijāl al-Najāshī. Edited by Mūsā Shubayrī Zanjānī. [n.p]. Muʾassisa Nashr al-Islami, [n.d].
- Nuʿmānī, Muḥammad b. Ibrāhīm al-. Kitāb al-Ghayba. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Maktabat al-Ṣadūq, 1397 AH.
- Pākatchī Ahmad. Hasan Askarī, Imām dar Dāʾirat al-maʿārif buzurg-i Islāmī. vol. 20. Tehran: Markaz-i Dāʾirat al-maʿārif buzurg-i Islāmī, 1391 Sh.
- Ṣadr, Sayyid Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Mawsūʿa al-Imām al-Mahdī. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf, 1412 AH.
- Salīmīyān, Khudāmurād. Darsnāma-ye mahdawīyyat. Tehran: Bunyād-i Farhangī-yi Haḍrat-i Mahdī-yi Mawʿūd, 1388 Sh.
- Salīmīyān, Khudāmurād. Farhangnāma-ye mahdawīyyat. Tehran: Bunyād-i Farhangī-yi Haḍrat-i Mahdī-yi Mawʿūd, 1388 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Islāmīyya, 1395 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Ghayba. Edited by ʿIbād Allāh Tihrānī & ʿAlī Aḥmad Nāṣiḥ. Qom: 1411 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Iʿlām al-warā bi-aʿlām al-hudā. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1417 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Dalāʾil al-imāma. Edited by Muʾassisat al-Biʿtha. Qom: 1413 AH.