Juwayriyya bt. al-Harith
|Juwayriyya bt. al-Harith|
Wife of the Prophet (s)
|Full Name||Barra bt. al-Harith|
|Birth||2 years before Bi'that/607|
|Place of Residence||Medina|
|Burial Place||Al-Baqi' cemetery, Medina|
|Name||Date of Marriage|
|Sawda||(before Hijra/before 622)|
|Aisha||(1,2, or 4/622, 623, or 625)|
|Zaynab (bt. Khuzayma)||(3/624)|
|Zaynab (bt. Jahsh)||(5/626)|
|Juwayriyya||(5 or 6/626 or 627)|
|Umm Habiba||(6 or 7/627 or 628)|
Juwayrīyya bt. al-Hārith (Arabic: جُوَیریه بنت حارث) (b. 2 years before Bi'that/607 - d. 56/676) was one of the wives of the Prophet (s). After her husband was killed in the Battle of Banu l-Mustaliq by Muslims, she was captured and became a slave woman. She asked the Prophet (s) to help her gain her freedom; so the Prophet (s) bought her and freed her. Then, the Prophet (s) proposed to her and she got married to him in 5/626 or 6/627. Juwayriyya has narrated few hadiths form the Prophet (s).
Name and Lineage
Her original name was Barra (which means a beautiful woman who entraps her husband), but after her marriage to the Prophet (s), he changed her name to Juwayriyya. She, like other wives of the Prophet (s), was titled as Umm al-Mu'minin (Mother of the faithful). His father was al-Harith b. Abi Dirar, the head of Banu l-Mustaliq tribe. As she was from Banu l-Mustaliq, which was a sub-clan of Khuza'a tribe, she was called al-Mustaliqiyya and al-Khuza'iyya.
Marriage to the Prophet (s)
After that her husband was killed in the Battle of Banu l-Mustaliq, she was captured by Muslims and became a slave woman. She asked the Prophet (s) to help her gain her freedom. The Prophet (s) bought her and freed her. Then the Prophet (s) proposed to her and she got married to him in 5/626 or 6/627. As her mahr (dowry) the Prophet (s) freed forty slaves of Banu l-Mustaliq; Muslims followed the Prophet (s) and freed all the captives from that battle. she was twenty when she married the Prophet (s).
- Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 412; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 8, p. 118-119.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 2, p. 63-64; vol. 8, p. 116-117.
- Samʿānī, al-Ansāb, vol. 5, p. 312; Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 7, p. 565.
- Sijistānī, Sunan-i Abī Dāwūd, vol. 2, p. 236.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 8, p. 120.
- Mizzī, Tahdhīb al-kamāl, vol. 35, p. 146.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 8, p. 120; Ibn ʿAsākir, Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq, vol. 3, p. 219.
- Bukhārī, Muḥammad b. Ismāʿīl al-. Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī. Edited by Muḥammad Dhihnī Afandī. Istanbul: 1401 AH/1981.
- Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Al-Iṣāba fī tamyyīz al-ṣaḥāba. Edited by ʿAlī Muḥammad al-Bajāwī. Beirut: 1412 AH.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Edited by Iḥsān ʿAbbās. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār Ṣādir, 1968.
- Ibn ʿAsākir, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥasan. Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1425 AH.
- Mizzī, Yūsuf b. ʿAbd al-Raḥmān al-. Tahdhīb al-kamāl fī asmāʾ al-rijāl. Edited by Bashār ʿAawād Maʿrūf. Beirut: Muʾassisa al-Risāla, 1400 AH.
- Sijistānī, Sulaymān b. al-Ashʿath al-. Sunan-i Abī Dāwūd. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr li-ṭibaʿat wa al-Nashr wa al-Tawzīʿ, 1410 AH/1990.
- Samʿānī, ʿAbd al-Karīm b. Muḥammad. al-. Al-Ansāb. Edited by ʿAbd Allāh ʿUmar Bārūdī. Beirut: 1988.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-bayān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Edited by Hāshim Rasūlī & Yazdī Ṭabāṭabāyī. Beirut: 1408 AH/1988.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Jāmiʾ al-bayān ʿan taʾwīl āyāt al-Qurʾān. Egypt: 1373 AH/1954.
- Wāqidī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Al-Maghāzī. Edited by Marsden Jones. London: [n.p], 1996.