|Role||The Custodian of Properties Endowed by Imam Ali (a)|
|Father||Imam al-Hasan (a)|
|Mother||Khawla bt. Manzur|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Spouse(s)||Fatima bt. al-Husayn b. 'Ali|
|Children||'Abd Allah Mahd, Ibrahim 'Amr, and Hasan Muthallath|
|Demise||He was alive in 85/704-5|
|Place of Burial||Baqi' cemetery, Medina|
Ḥasan b. Ḥasan b. ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib (Arabic: حسن بن حسن بن علي بن ابي طالب) known as Ḥasan al-Muthannā (Arabic: حسن المثنّی) was the son of Imam al-Hasan (a) and one of the noblemen of Alids. In the Battle of Karbala, he was a member of Imam al-Husayn's (a) army. Although he was injured on the day of 'Ashura, he was not killed through the intercession of one of his maternal relatives; and after recovering from injuries, he returned from Kufa to Medina. He was in charge of alms given by Imam 'Ali (a). He took part in the rebellion of 'Abd al-Rahman b. Muhammad al-Kindi against Hajjaj b. Yusuf. There are disagreements among scholars whether Hasan al-Muthanna claimed to be an Imam.
Lineage and Teknonym
His father was Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a). His mother was Khawla bt. Manzur. After the death of her husband (36 AH/656), Muhammad b. Talha b. 'Ubayd Allah, in the Battle of Jamal, Khawla married with Imam al-Hasan (a).
Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)
Wife and children
His sons whose mother was Fatima, the daughter of Imam al-Husayn (a), were 'Abd Allah Mahd, Ibrahim 'Amr, and Hasan Muthallath, all of whom passed away in the prison of Abu Ja'far Mansur, the Abbasid caliph.
His grandchildren, specially sons of 'Abd Allah b. Hasan, who himself was a literate and knowledgeable man, such as Muhammad known as Nafs Zakiyya and Ibrahim known as Qatil Bakhamra, led important movements against the Abbasids.
Taking part in the Battle of Karbala
On the day of 'Ashura, he bravely fought beside Imam al-Husayn (a) and was injured and was kept as captive. His maternal uncle, Asma' b. Kharijah Fazari, saved him. He was cured in Kufa; and after recovering, he returned to Medina.
The Custodian of Properties Endowed by Imam Ali (a)
When Hajjaj b. Yusuf al-Thaqafi was the ruler of Medina, he wanted Hasan al-Muthanna to let 'Umar b. Ali help him in custodianship of alms, because 'Umar was Hasan al-Muthanna's uncle. But, since only the children of Lady Fatima (a) have the right to hold custodianship of alms, he refused Hajjah's request. Hajjaj went to Syria to 'Abd al-Malik b. Marwan, the Umayyad caliph; and the caliph prevented Hajjaj from that.
Cooperation with 'Abd al-Rahman b. Muhammad
When 'Abd al-Rahman b. Muhammad al-Kindi rebelled against Hajjaj b. Yusuf, he intended to call himself the caliph. But because only someone from Quraysh could hold caliphate, he wrote letters to noblemen of Alids, Imam al-Sajjad (a) and Hasan al-Muthanna, to convince them. Imam al-Sajjad (a) declined his request. Hasan al-Muthanna who thought rebels might break their allegiance, refused to accept caliphate of 'Abd al-Rahman as well. But, after their insistence, finally he became convinced and paid allegiance to him as the caliph. Famous Iraqi scholars such as 'Abd al-Rahman b. Abi Liyli, Sha'bi, Muhammad b. Sirin, and al-Hasan al-Basri paid allegiance to him who was called al-Rida.
After the death of Ibn Ash'ath in 85 AH/ 704-5, Hasan al-Muthanna fled. Finally, the agents of Walid b. 'Abd al-Malik poisoned and killed him. They transferred his body to Medina and buried him in Baqi' cemetery.
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh, Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh, p. 46; Ibn Qutayba, al-Maʿārif, p. 112; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam, vol. 5, p. 469.
- Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib, p. 98; Ibn Qutayba, al-Maʿārif, p. 112.
- Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib, p. 98.
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh, Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh, p. 51; Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 379.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 403-404; Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib, p. 101; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 5, p. 319.
- Iṣfahānī, Kitāb al-aghānī, vol. 21, p. 85-93.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam, vol. 5, p. 469.
- Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 379; Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 25.
- Ibn ʿAsākir, Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq, vol. 13, p. 61-62.
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh, Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh, p. 46; Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 384.
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh, Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh, p. 46; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 403; Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 23.
- 'Umar b. Ali was the son of 'Ali from Umm Habib bt. Rabi'a
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh, Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh, p. 46-47; Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 384; Ibn ʿAsākir, Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq, vol. 13, p. 65; Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib, p. 99.
- Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 383; Maḥallī, al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya fī manāqib al-aʾimma al-zaydīyya, vol. 2, p. 238.
- Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 380-381.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād, vol. 2, p. 26.
- Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 379; Maḥallī, al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya fī manāqib al-aʾimma al-zaydīyya, vol. 2, p. 235.
- Ḥasanī, al-Maṣābih, p. 382; Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib fi ansāb Āl Abī Ṭālib, p. 100.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Kitāb al-aghānī. Cairo: 1383 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Maḥmūd Firdaws al-ʿAzm. Damascus: 1996-2000.
- Bayhaqī, ʿAlī b. Ẓayd al-. Lubāb al-ansāb wa l-alqāb wa l-aʿqāb. Edited by Sayyid Mahdī Rajāʾī. Qom: Kitābkhāna-yi Āyat Allāh al-Marʿashī, [n.d].
- Ḥasanī, Aḥmad b. Ibrāhīm. Al-Maṣābih. Edited by ʿAbd Allah al-Ḥūthī. San'a: [n.d].
- Ibn ʿAsākir, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥasan. Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: 1415/1421 AH.
- Ibn ʿAnba, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī. ʿUmdat al-ṭālib fi ansāb Āl Abī Ṭālib. Edited by Muḥammad Ḥasan Āl-i Ṭāliqānī. Najaf: 1961.
- Ibn Qutayba al-Dīnawarī, ʿAbd Allāh b. Muslim . Al-Maʿārif. Edited by Tharwat ʿAkkāsha. Cairo: 1960 CE.
- Maḥallī, Ḥamīd b. Aḥmad. Al-Ḥadāʾiq al-wardīyya fī manāqib al-aʾimma al-zaydīyya. Edited by Murtaḍā b. Zayd Maḥṭūrī. San'a: 1423 AH/2002.
- Muṣʿab b. ʿAbd Allāh. Kitāb-i nasab-i quraysh. Edited by Levi-Provençal. Cairo: 1953.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Qom: 1413 AH
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Intishārāt-i Islamīyā, 1380 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: [n.p]. [n.d].