Awn b. Abd Allah b. Ja'far al-Tayyar
|Awn b. Abd Allah b. Ja'far al-Tayyar|
|Full Name||'Awn b. 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far b. Abi Talib b. 'Abd al-Muttalib|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Imam Ali (a) (cousin), Lady Fatima (a) (cousin), Lady Zaynab (a) (mother), Imam al-Hasan (a) (uncle), Imam al-Husayn (a) (uncle), 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far (father)|
|Place of Birth||Medina|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Event of Ashura|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a), Karbala|
|Activities||Participating in the Event of Karbala|
ʿAwn b. ʿAbd Allāh b. Jaʿfar (Arabic: عون بن عبدالله بن جعفر بن ابی طالب ) known as ʿAwn al-Akbar (عون الاکبر), was son of Lady Zaynab (a) who was martyred in Karbala. Following the advice of his father, 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far, both he and his brother Muhammad accompanied Imam al-Husayn (a) and they were martyred in Karbala on the Day of 'Ashura.
His Name and Lineage
His father was 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far b. Abi Talib b. 'Abd al-Muttalib was among the companions of the Prophet (s). 'Awn's grandfather was Ja'far al-Tayyar who was chosen by the Prophet (s) as the chief of Muslims in their migration to Abyssinia. 'Awn's mother was Lady Zaynab (a), daughter of Imam Ali (a) and Lady Fatima (a).
'Abd Allah had two sons called 'Awn: 'Awn al-Akbar whose mother was Lady Zaynab (a) and 'Awn al-Asghar whose mother was Jamana, daughter of Musayyib b. Najba one of the commanders of Tawwabun Uprising. There is a disagreement which one of 'Abd Allah's two sons attended in the Tragedy of Karbala, but it is famous that 'Awn al-Akbar was martyred in Karbala and 'Awn al-Asghar was martyred in the Event of Harra in Medina.
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
Accompanying Imam al-Husayn (a)
After Imam al-Husayn (a) moved from Mecca to Kufa, 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far wrote a letter to Imam (a) and asked him to change his decision and returns. 'Abd Allah sent his letter to Imam (a) by his sons 'Awn and Muhammad. When 'Abd Allah found that Imam (a) was determined in his decision, advised his sons 'Awn and Muhammad to accompany Imam (a) and fight along with Imam (a).
|“||If you do not know me, I am son of Ja'far,
a true martyr who is in the shining paradise,
who flies there with green wings,
this honor is enough on the Day of Resurrection.
About him, in the Ziyarat of Nahiya (non-famous), it is mentioned, "Peace be upon 'Awn b. 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far, the flying in the paradise; the one, who was truthful in faith, a fighting peer, advising for the sake of the Merciful, the reciter of the twice-read verses and the Qur'an. May God curse his murderer, 'Abd Allah b. Qutba al-Nabhani." 
- Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 1, p. 323.
- Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, p. 124.
- Ibn Qutayba, al-Maʿārif, p. 207.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 67-68.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, Tadhkirat al-khawāṣ, p. 175.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 67-68.
- Abī Mikhnaf, Maqtal al-Ḥusayn, p. 69.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 68-69.
- إن تنکِروني فأنا ابن جعفر/شهیدُ صدقٍ في الجنان أزهَر/یَطیرُ فیها بجناحٍ أخضَر/کَفی بهذا شرفاً فی المَحشَر
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 112.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib, Ibn Aʿtham, vol. 4, p. 106; Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 111.
- السَّلَامُ عَلَی عَوْنِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ جَعْفَرٍ الطَّیارِ فِی الْجِنَانِ حَلِیفِ الْإِیمَانِ وَ مُنَازِلِ الْأَقْرَانِ النَّاصِحِ لِلرَّحْمَنِ التَّالِی لِلْمَثَانِی وَ الْقُرْآنِ لَعَنَ اللَّهُ قَاتِلَهُ عَبْدَ اللَّهِ بْنَ قُطْبَةَ النَّبْهَانِی
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn. Edited by Sayyid Aḥmad al-Ṣaqar. [n.p]. Ismāʿīlīyān, 1970.
- Abī Mikhnaf, Lūṭ b. Yaḥyā. Maqtal al-Ḥusayn. Edited by Ḥasan Ghaffārī. Qom: Ḥasan Ghaffārī, 1360 Sh.
- Āl-i Ṭuʿma, Salmān. Turāth-i Karbalā. 2nd edition. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1983.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Bihbūdī. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1394 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b.Yaḥyā al-. Jumal min ansāb al-ashrāf. Edied by Suhayl Zakkar and Rīyāḍ Ziriklī. Beirut: Dār al-fikr, [n.d].
- Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī, Aḥmad b. Aʿtham. Kitāb al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1411 AH-1991.
- Ibn Baṭūṭa, Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Raḥla Ibn Baṭūṭa. Edited by Ṭalāl Ḥarb. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1413 AH.
- Ibn Jubayr, Muḥammad. Riḥlat Ibn Jubayr. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1384 AH.
- Ibn Ḥazm, ʿAlī b. Aḥmad. Jumhurat ansāb al-ʿarab. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1403 AH.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Qom: Nashr-i ʿAllāma, 1379 AH.
- Ibn ʿAsākir, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥasan. Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1415 AH.
- Ibn Qutayba al-Dīnawarī, ʿAbd Allah b. Muslim . Al-Maʿārif. Qom: Manshūrāt al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1415 AH.
- Ibn Hishām, ʿAbd al-Malik. Al-Sīra al-nabawīyya. Cairo: Madanī, 1383 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿala l-ʿibād. 1st edition. Qom: Intishārāt-i al-Muʿtamir al-Ālamī, 1413 AH.
- Qāʾidān, ʿAlī ʿAsghar. ʿAtabāt-i ʿālīyāt-i Irāq. Tehran: Nashr-i Mashʿar, 1383 Sh.
- Sibṭ b. al-Jawzī, Yūsuf b. Qazāwughlī. Tadhkirat al-khawāṣ. Tehran: Maktabat al-Nienawā, [n.d].
- Saḥāb, Abu l-Qāsim. Zindigānī-i ḥadrat-i khāmis-i Āl-i ʿAbāʾ. Tehran: [n.n], 1358 Sh.
- Ṣāliḥī Ḥājī Ābādī, Ibrāhīm. Shuhadā-yi Neinawā. Tehran: Nigāh-i Muʿāsir, 1396 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī. Cairo: al-Istiqāma, 1358 AH.