Yazid b. al-Husayn al-Hamdani
|Yazid b. al-Husayn al-Hamdani|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
Name and Lineage
Yazid b. al-Husayn al-Hamdani al-Mishraqi was from al-Mishraq, a branch of the Hamdan tribe in Yemen. There are different versions of his and his father's name. Some people hold that "Yazid b. al-Husayn" is a distorted form of "Burayr b. Khudayr" and so they refer to one and the same person.
Before the Event of Karbala
Battle of Karbala
On the Day of Ashura when people in the caravan of Imam al-Husayn (a) were extremely thirsty, Yazid asked the Imam (a) for permission to talk to people of Kufa and Umar b. Sa'd. The Imam (a) permitted him to do that. Yazid criticized the people of Kufa for blocking the water of the Euphrates, but they responded to him inappropriately. At this time, the Imam (a) said about the army of Kufa that the Satan has taken over them, and the party of the Satan are losers.
He went to the battlefield before the noon of Ashura and fought until he was martyred. It is said that he recited the following paeans when he was fighting:
- I am Yazid. I am not a coward at the time of war. I hit you with my sword like a brave young man to defend al-Husayn b. 'Ali, to meet my action on Dooms Day.
- Group of writers, Pazhūhishī pīrāmūn-i shuhādayi Karbalā, p. 399.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 125-126.
- Muhaddithī, Farhang-i Āshūrā, quoting from Tanqīḥ al-maqāl, vol. 3, p. 325.
- Muhaddithī, Farhang-i Āshūrā, quoting from Mawsūʿat kalimāt al-Imām al-Ḥusayn, vol. 7, p. 425.
- Group of writers, Pazhūhishī pīrāmūn-i shuhādayi Karbalā, p. 400.
- Group of writers. Pazhūhishī pīrāmūn-i shuhādayi Karbalā. 1st edition. Qom: Intishārāt-i Yāqūt, 1381 AH.
- Muhaddithī, Javād. Farhang-i Āshūrā. 2nd edition. Qom: Nashr-i Maʿrūf, 1417 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad b. Ṭāhir al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). 1st edition. Qom: Dānishgāh-i Shahīd Maḥallātī, 1419 AH.