Amr b. Qaraza
|Amr b. Qaraza|
|Full Name||'Amr b. Qaraza b. Ka'b al-Khazraji al-Ansari al-Kufi|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Qaraza b. Ka'b (father)|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a), Karbala|
|Activities||It is reported that in the Day of 'Ashura he stood in front of Imam al-Husayn (a) as a shield and received every arrow thrown at Imam (a) so that he (a) would receive no harm.|
ʿAmr b. Qaraẓa b. Kaʿb al-Khazrajī al-Anṣārī al-Kūfī (Arabic: عَمرو بن قَرَظَة الخَزرَجي الأَنصاري الکوفي) (b. ? - d. 61/680) was among the Martyrs of Karbala. His father was among the companions of the Prophet (s) and Imam Ali (a). 'Amr's brother was in the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd.
His father, Qaraza b. Ka'b was among the companions of the Prophet (s) a transmitter of hadiths who participated in the Battle of Uhud and other battles after it. During the rule of Imam Ali (a), he was appointed as the governor of Kufa and participated in the army of Imam Ali (a) in battles.
In al-Luhuf, it is mentioned that on the day of 'Ashura, 'Amr received permission from Imam al-Husayn (a) to go to the battlefield. Also, it is reported that he stood in front of Imam al-Husayn (a) as a shield and received every arrow thrown at Imam (a) so that he (a) would receive no harm. Before dying, he asked Imam (a), "did I fulfill my promise?" Imam (a) answered, "Yes, you are in front of me in paradise. Send my greetings to the Prophet (s)."
In the Ziyarah al-Shuhada', his name is mentioned, "Peace be upon 'Amr b. Qaraza al-Ansari."
'Amr had a brother named Ali (or Zubayr) who was in the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd. When 'Amr was martyred, he addressed Imam al-Husayn (a) and said, "O liar! You deceived and fooled my brother and killed my brother!" Imam (a) answered, "God did not deceive your brother; but, He guided him and deceived you." He said, "May God kill me if I don't kill you!" He then attacked Imam (a), but Nafi' b. Hilal hit him with a spear, and he fell on the ground, and his friends took him out of the battlefield.
- Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba fī tamyyīz al-ṣaḥāba, vol. 5, p. 329.
- Dhahabī, Tārīkh al-Islām, vol. 3, p. 662.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh-i Ṭabarī, vol. 5, p. 413.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, al-Luhūf, p. 107-108.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 192.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh-i Ṭabarī, vol. 5, p. 434; Abī Mikhnaf, Waqʿat al-Ṭaff, p. 223.
- Abī Mikhnaf, Lūṭ b. Yaḥyā. Waqʿat al-Ṭaff. 3rd edition. Qom: Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1417 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1417 AH.
- Dhahabī, Muḥammad b. al-Aḥmad al-. Tārīkh al-Islām wa wafayāt al-mashāhīr wa l-aʿlām. Second edition. Beirut: Dār al-Kitāb al-ʿArabī, 1409 AH
- Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Al-Iṣāba fī tamyyīz al-ṣaḥāba. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1415 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. 2nd edition. Beirut: Dar al-Turāth, 1387 AH.