|Full Name||Muhammad b. Abi Sa'id b. 'Aqil|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||'Aqil b. Abi Talib, Muslim b. 'Aqil, 'Abd Allah b. 'Aqil|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Event of Karbala|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a)|
Muḥammad b. Abī Saʿīd b. ʿAqīl (Arabic:محمد بن أبي سَعید بن عَقیل) was among the martyrs of Banu Hashim on the Day of 'Ashura. In the Event of 'Ashura, he was seven years old and was martyred in the attack of the soldiers of the enemy to the tents after Imam al-Husayn (a) was martyred. His name is mentioned in the Ziyarah al-Shuhada.
Some Shia scholars of Rijal have mentioned his name as Muhammad b. Sa'id and others have recorded his name as Muhammad b. Abi Sa'd, but some have considered Abu Sa'id, the kunya of 'Abd Allah b. 'Aqil and have considered a possibility that Muhammad b. Sa'id would have actually been the same Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah b. 'Aqil.
The Way of Martyrdom
Hamid b. Muslim reported the martyrdom of Muhammad b. Abi Sa'id b. 'Aqil as below:
- After the martyrdom of Imam al-Husayn (a), a teenager called Muhammad b. Abi Sa'id b. 'Aqil came out of the tents and looked around anxiously and fearfully. One of the soldiers of 'Umar b. Sa'd called Luqayt b. Ayas (Nashir) al-Juhani attacked him and killed him with a strike.
This has also been reported by Hani b. Thubayt, one of the soldiers of 'Umar b. Sa'd.
However, in some reports, Hani b. Thubayt al-Hadrami has been mentioned as the murderer of Muhammad b. Abi Sa'id in this way, that when he came out of the tent, he took the tent's pole or a stick and attacked the enemy in front of his mother's eyes, then Hani b. Thubayt al-Hadrami rushed toward him with a horse and when reached him, torn him apart with sword and killed him.
- Ibn Dāwūd, Kitāb al-rijāl, vol. 1, p. 172; Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib, vol. 3, p. 259.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, al-Iqbāl bi-l-aʿmāl al-ḥasana, vol. 3, p. 243; Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib, vol. 3, p. 259.
- Kāshānī, Tadhkirat al-shuhadāʾ, vol. 1, p. 154.
- ʿAmrī, al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn, p. 307.
- Bayḍūn, Mawsūʿat Karbalā, vol. 1, p. 529.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 91.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p.449.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, al-Iqbāl bi-l-aʿmāl, vol. 3, p. 76.
- ʿAmrī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Al-Majdī fī ansāb al-ṭālibīn. Qom: Nashr-i Kitābkhāna-yi Marʿashī Najafī, 1380 Sh.
- Bayḍūn, Labīb. Mawsūʿat Karbalā. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1427 AH.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. 'Alī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Dānishgāh-i Tehrān, [n.d].
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Najaf: al-Maṭbūʿāt al-Ḥaydarīyya, 1375 AH.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Muḥammad Ṣāmil al-Silmī. (Ṭabaqa khāmisa 1) Al-Ṭaʾif: Maktabat al-Ṣiddiq, 1414 AH/1993.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Muḥammad Ṣāmil al-Silmī. volume 8. Al-Ṭaʾif: Maktabat al-Ṣiddiq, 1414 AH/1993.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, ʿAlī b. Mūsā. Al-Iqbāl bi-l-aʿmāl al-ḥasana. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī. Qom: Daftar-i Tablīghāt-i Islāmī, 1376 Sh.
- Kāshānī, Ḥabīb Allāh. Tadhkirat al-shuhadāʾ. Edited by Sayyid Alī Jamāl Ashraf. Qom: Madyan, 1385 Sh.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Beirut: Muʾassisa al-Wafaʾ, 1404 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad b. Ṭāhir al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). Edited by Muḥammad Jaʿfar Ṭabasī. Qom: Markaz al-Dirāsāt al-Islāmīyya li Ḥars al-Thawra, 1419 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: Rawāʾiʿ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, [n.d].