Al-Qasim b. al-Imam al-Hasan (a)
|Al-Qasim b. al-Imam al-Hasan (a)|
|Father||Hasan b. 'Ali (a)|
|Place of Birth||Medina|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Demise||61/680 The Day of 'Ashura|
|Place of Burial||Holy Shrine of Imam al-Husayn (a), Karbala|
Al-Qāsim b. al-Ḥasan is the son of Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a). He was martyred on the Day of 'Ashura in Karbala. On the Eve of 'Ashura when Imam al-Husayn (a) asked him about his opinion about death, he answered: "It is sweeter than honey."
Al-Shaykh al-Mufid reported that he, 'Abd Allah b. al-Hasan and 'Amr b. al-Hasan were from the same mother, who was a slave woman. Maqatil al-Talibiyyin reported that he and Abu Bakr b. al-Hasan were from the same mother, though.
|Family tree of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
Eve of 'Ashura'
On the Eve of 'Ashura', Imam al-Husayn (a) gathered his companions and delivered a lecture informing them that they all would be martyred the next day. Qasim b. al-Hasan asked his uncle, Imam al-Husayn (a), whether he would be martyred on 'Ashura'. Imam asked him what he thought about death. He replied, "Sweeter than honey." Imam responded, "Yes, you will be martyred tomorrow."
In his book, al-Luhuf, Sayyid b. Tawus reported his fight and martyrdom scene as following: "… at that moment, a youngster whose face was [bright] like moon came to the battlefield and started fighting. Ibn Fudayl al-Azdi hit him on the head. His head was split, and he fell on his face and shouted, "O, my uncle!" Al-Husayn came to him very fast and attacked the enemies like a lion. He attacked Ibn Fudayl and cut his hand from his elbow as Ibn Fudayl had raised it to protect himself from the sword strike. Ibn Fudayl shouted and all the army heard him. They came to help him but trampled him to death.
The narrator says that when the dust cleared, I saw al-Husayn standing at the youngster's body and the boy was kicking his legs.
Al-Husayn said, "God may curse the people who killed you. Your father and your grandfather will avenge you on the Day of resurrection. By God! it is difficult for your uncle to call him, but he does not answer you, and if he does, it would not benefit you. By God! Today is a day that your uncle's enemies are many and his companions are few.
Distortion of Facts
Shahid Mutahhari wrote Qasim's wedding in Karbala was an inseparable part of mourning poems and Rawda of Qasim b. al-Hassan. However, this is not reported in any reliable book. Muhaddith al-Nuri said, "The first person who writes this story was Mulla Husayn Kashifi in his book Rawdat al-shuhada'. The origin of this story is false and it is 100 percent false".
- Makkī, Maqtal al-Khwārizmī, vol. 2, p. 31.
- Bayhaqī, Lubāb al-ansāb, vol. 1, p. 401.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 20.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-Ṭālibīyyīn, p. 92.
- Motahhari, Majmūʿah āthār, vol. 17, p. 81-82.
- Sayyid b. Ṭāwūs, al-Luhūf, p. 68-69.
- Motahhari, Majmūʿah āthār, vol. 17, p. 77.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-Ṭālibīyyīn. Edited by Sayyid Aḥmad Ṣaqar. Qom: al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1416 AH.
- Bayhaqī, ʿAlī b. Ẓayd al-. Lubāb al-ansāb wa l-alqāb wa l-aʿqāb. Edited by Sayyid Mahdī Rajāʾī. Qom: Kitābkhānah Āyat Allāh al-Marʿashī, 1410 AH.
- Makkī, al-Muwaffaq b. Aḥmad al-. Maqtal al-Khwārizmī. Edited by Shaykh Muḥammad Samāwī. Qom: Intishārāt-i Anwār al-Hudā, 1418 AH.
- Motahhari, Morteza. Majmūʿah āthār shahīd Mutahharī. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Ṣadrā, 1377 Sh.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿala l-ʿibād. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, 1416 AH.
- Sayyid b. Ṭāwūs, ʿAlī b. Mūsā. Al-Luhūf fī qatlā l-ṭufūf. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1414 AH.