|Sayf b. al-Harith al-Hamdani|
|Full Name||Sayf b. al-Harith b. Suray' al-Hamdani|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
In the Battle of Karbala
According to historical reports, on the Day of 'Ashura, when they saw Imam al-Husayn (a) confronting the army of enemy, went to him crying. Imam (a) told them, "O cousins! Why are you crying? By God, I hope your eyes will soon be brightened [to heaven]." They answered, "May God sacrifice us for you; by God we swear we are not crying for ourselves, but our crying is because we see you besieged and cannot defend you." Imam (a) said, "May God give you best of rewards He gives to the God-wary for your companionship and defense."
After Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami (a companion of Imam al-Husayn (a)) was martyred, Sayf and Malik greeted Imam (a). Imam (a) answered their greeting and they moved toward the enemy. They fought while they supported each other until they both were martyred.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 442.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 132.
- Samʿānī, al-Ansāb, p. 419.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 442-444; Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 132-133.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). Qom: Zamzam-i Hidāyat, 1384 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī, 1403 AH.