Al-Tirimmah b. Adi
|Al-Tirimmah b. Adi|
|Full Name||Al-Tirimmah b. 'Adi al-Ta'i|
|Companion of||Imam Ali (a), Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Epithet||Tirrimah, the Poet|
|Wellknown Relatives||Hujr b. 'Adi|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
Al-Ṭirimmāḥ b. ʿAdī al-Ṭāʾī (Arabic: الطِرِمّاح بن عَدِی الطائی) (alive in 60/679-80) was one of the people of Kufa who met Imam al-Husayn (a) in 'Udhayb al-Hijanat and delivered the news about Qays b. Mushir's martyrdom to him (a). He then received the Imam's (a) permission for going to his family and tribe, but upon his return, he heard the news of the Imam's (a) martyrdom when he arrived in the same place.
Period of Imam 'Ali (a)
Tirimmah was from the Tayy tribe. Al-Shaykh al-Tusi mentioned him as a companion of Imam 'Ali (a) and Imam al-Husayn (a). After the Battle of Jamal, Imam 'Ali (a) wrote a letter to Mu'awiya b. Abi Sufyan in response to his letter. The Imam's (a) letter was delivered by Tirimmah to Syria for Mu'awiya. When he met Mu'awiya, he greeted him with "salam to you, O King". Mu'awiya asked him why he did not address him as Amir al-Mu'minin (the ruler of believers). Tirimmah replied: "We are the believers. Who has made you our ruler?"
Period of Imam al-Husayn (a)
In 'Udhayb al-Hijanat station, four cavalries from Kufa, including Tirimmah as their guide, joined Imam al-Husayn (a). Al-Hurr b. Yazid sought to prevent them from joining the Imam (a), but he (a) told al-Hurr that they were his companions and protected them.
Tirimmah told Imam al-Husayn (a): "I see you with few helpers. The army of al-Hurr alone can beat you. Before leaving Kufa, I saw many people preparing for a war with you. I have never seen such a big army. I swear to God that you do not move even one step forward".
Tirimmah suggested to the Imam (a): "come to my tribe since there are people there who can help you. I can bring 20,000 people from the Tayy tribe for help." Imam al-Husayn (a) replied: "May God reward you and your tribe. I made such a pact with this group that I cannot violate". The Imam (a) had made a pact with al-Hurr to the effect that he goes through a path that does not go to Medina, nor to Kufa.
He was the guide of Imam al-Husayn's (a) caravan to Kufa through bypaths. On their way, he recited poems about the virtues of the people of the caravan, reproaching Banu Umayya and the enemies of Imam al-Husayn (a).
Tirimmah asked for the Imam's (a) permission to take food to his family and then return. But on his way back, when he arrived in 'Udhayb al-Hijanat, he heard the news of the Imam's (a) martyrdom.
- Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 79.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl, vol. 70, p. 120.
- Mufīd, al-Ikhtiṣāṣ, p. 138.
- Mufīd, al-Ikhtiṣāṣ, p. 139, 140.
- Mufīd, al-Ikhtiṣāṣ, p. 138.
- Namāzī, Mustadrakāt ʿilm rijāl, vol. 4, p. 294.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 22, p. 154.
- Abī Mikhnaf, Waqʿat al-Ṭaff, p. 174.
- Ibn al-Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 4, p. 50; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 173; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 456.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 3, p. 173; Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya, vol. 8, p. 174.
- Ibn al-Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 4, p. 50; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 406.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Kitāb al-Futūḥ, vol. 5, p. 79-80.
- Ibn al-Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 4, p. 50.
- Abī Mikhnaf, Lūṭ b. Yaḥyā. Waqʿat al-Ṭaff. Qom: Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1417 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Suhayl Zakār & Riyāḍ al-Ziriklī. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1417 AH.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, ʿAlī b. Abī l-Karam. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. Beirut: Dār Ṣādir, 1385 AH-1965.
- Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī, Aḥmad b. Aʿtham. Kitāb al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwaʾ, 1411 AH-1991.
- Ibn Kathīr, Ismāʿīl b. ʿUmar. Al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1407 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Ikhtiṣāṣ. Qom: Kungira-yi Shaykh al-Mufīd, 1413 AH.
- Namāzī, ʿAlī. Mustadrakāt ʿilm rijāl al-ḥadīth. Tehran: Ibn al-Muʾallif, 1414 AH.
- Tihrānī, Aqā Buzurg al-. Al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, [n.d].
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-.Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad Abu l-faḍl Ibrāhīm. Beirut: Dar al-Turāth, 1387 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl. Qom: Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1415 AH.