Abu l-Haytham b. al-Tayyihan
|Full Name||Malik b. al-Tayyihan|
|Well Known As||Ibn al-Tayyihan|
|Place of Birth||Medina|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Cause of Martyrdom||in the Battle of Siffin|
|Presence at Ghazwas||Badr, Uhud, Khandaq, Mu'ta|
|Known for||One of the elite companions of Imam 'Ali (a)|
|Other Activities||Opposing Abu Bakr's caliphate|
Abu l-Haytham b. al-Tayyihān (Arabic: ابو الهيثم بن التَيِّهان) is one of the Prophet's (s) sahaba and a companion of Imam 'Ali (a). He was a monotheist even before Islam. He was present at 'Aqaba allegiance, the battles of Badr, Uhud, Khandaq, and Mu'ta.
Abu l-Haytham opposed Abu Bakr's caliphate after the demise of the Prophet (s), and pledged allegiance to Imam 'Ali (a) after 'Uthman's murder. He was martyred in the Battle of Siffin. Imam 'Ali (a) regrets the loss of companions like him in Nahj al-Balagha.
Names and Parentage
His best-known name is Malik. Some have said that his father's name was Malik and his title was Tayyahan, and some believe that his father's name was Tayyahan.
His lineage is not clearly known; in most of the sources he is said to belong to the Bani Za'ur 'Abd al-'Ashhal clan from the 'Aws tribe. Some hold that he was from the clan of Quda'a and Halif b. 'Abd al-'Ashhal. His brother, 'Ubayd or Utayk, fought in the battle of Badr with Muslims and was martyred in the battle of Uhud. Some have confused Abu l-Haytham with his brother.
He was a monotheist before Islam, and averted idols during the Ignorance period.
In the Age of the Prophet (s)
He and As'ad b. Zurara were among the first people from Helpers who converted to Islam, and they pledged allegiance to the Prophet (s) in both 'Aqaba pledges.
He is also one of the twelve Naqibs who were selected for the propagation of Islam from among people who made the allegiance.
He was present in the battles of Badr, Uhud, Khandaq, Mu'ta, and other ghazwas (battles in which the Prophet (s) participated). After the martyrdom of 'Abd Allah b. Rawaha in the battle of Mu'ta, the Prophet (s) appointed him as the agent for the evaluation of the dates of Khaybar and the payment of the Jews' share.
After his immigration, the Prophet (s) made a Pact of Brotherhood between Ibn Tayyahan and 'Uthman b. Maz'un.
Abu l-Haytham has narrated a hadith from the Prophet (s).
During the Age of the Three Caliphs
After the demise of the Prophet (s), Abu l-Haytham opposed Abu Bakr's caliphate, and refused his proposal to continue his mission as an evaluator of dates.
Fadl b. Shadhan is quoted as saying that Ibn Tayyahan was one of the first people who turned to Imam 'Ali (a) immediately after the Prophet (s).
In 'Umar's period, he was sent to Jews for Fadak peace.
During Imam 'Ali's (a) Period
According to al-Shaykh al-Tusi, Ibn Tayyahan and 'Ammar b. Yasir represented Imam 'Ali (a) for the allegiance of people, and told people:
We pledge an allegiance to you conditioned upon our obedience of God and the tradition of his Prophet (s), and if we are not committed to this, you do not have to obey us and will have no commitment to our allegiance; and the guide between us is the Qur'an.
Ibn Babiwayh has counted him among Imam 'Ali's (a) companions and fellows. His participation in the battle of Jamal with Imam 'Ali (a) has been cited in the sources.
At the beginning of the Battle of Siffin, Abu l-Haytham encouraged the Iraqi armies to participate in the war. Some people have said that he died years before this war in 20/640-1 during 'Umar's caliphate. Accordingly some people have cast doubts on his participation in the war of Siffin.
Though Ibn Abi l-Hadid's quotation from Nasr b. Muzahim is not found in the present copies and versions of the latter's book, the presence of an elegy for Abu l-Haytham among the elegies of the Siffin martyrs in Nasr b. Muzahim's book might, on the one hand, show omissions in the present copy of his book and the correctness of Ibn Abi l-Hadid's quotation from him, and, on the other hand, it shows that Abu l-Haytham is probably killed then, and the issue of his participation in Siffin might come down to disputes about whether and how the fellows of Badr took part in Imam 'Ali's (a) battles, just as there is the same controversy regarding the participation of Khuzayma b. Thabit, known as Dhu l-Shahadatayn in Imam 'Ali's (a) battles.
Al-Kulayni has quoted from Abu l-Haytham an oration of Imam 'Ali (a)—known as Talutiyya sermon.
Abu l-Haytham participated in the Battle of Siffin, and was martyred after 'Ammar.
In Nahj al-Balagha, Imam 'Ali (a) regrets the loss of companions like him, and cites him thus: "Where is 'Ammar? Where is Ibn Tayyahan? Where is Dhu l-Shahadatayn?"
- ↑ Ibn Kalbī, Nasab al-muʿid, vol. 2, p. 25; Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 1, p. 433; Yaḥyā b. Muʿīn, al-Tārīkh, vol. 2, p. 546; Abū Nuʿaym al-Iṣfahānī, Maʿrifat al-sahāba, p. 174.
- ↑ Ibn Nuqṭa, Takmilat al-ikmāl, vol. 1, p. 475; Ibn Quddāma, al-Istibṣār, p. 228; Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, al-Iṣāba, vol. 4, p. 212.
- ↑ ʿUrūq b. Zubayr, Maghāzī Rasūl Allāh, p. 122; Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 1, p. 433-445; Ibn Kalbī, Nasab al-muʿid wa Yaman al-kabīr, vol. 2, p. 25; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 1, p. 240; Ṣāliḥī Shāmī, Subul al-hudā, vol. 4, p. 304-305.
- ↑ Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 158; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 447; Aḥmad b. Ḥanbal, Musnad-i Aḥmad, vol. 3, p. 462; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī, vol. 2, p. 356, 363; Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, al-Istīʿāb, vol. 3, p. 1348; Ibn Ḥazm, Jumhurat ansāb al-ʿarab, p. 340.
- ↑ Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 158; Ibn Kalbī, Nasab al-muʿid, vol. 2, p. 25.
- ↑ Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 301; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 1, p. 329; Ibn Nuqṭa, Takmilat al-ikmāl, vol. 1, p. 476.
- ↑ Khalīfa b. Khayyāṭ, Tārīkh-i Khalīfa, vol. 1, p. 146; Ibn al-Athīr, Usd al-ghāba, vol. 4, p. 274.
- ↑ Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 8, p. 248.
- ↑ Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 1, p. 190 quoting from Wāqidī.
- ↑ Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 1, p. 190 quoting from Wāqidī.
- ↑ Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 1, p. 433, 447; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 607.
- ↑ Ibn Ḥabīb, Kitāb al-muḥabbar, p. 74; Abūzurʿa, Tārīkh Abūzurʿa Damishqī, vol. 1, p. 575; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 1, p. 240, 252.
- ↑ Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 157-158; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 448, 607.
- ↑ Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 2, p. 691.
- ↑ Ibn Ḥabīb, Kitāb al-muḥabbar, p. 74; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 1, p. 271; Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 1, p. 191.
- ↑ Abū Nuʿaym al-Iṣfahānī, Maʿrifat al-sahāba, p. 175; Abu l-Bashar Dulābī, al-Kunā wa al-asmāʾ, vol. 1, p. 61; Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 1, p. 191.
- ↑ Barqī, Kitāb al-Rijāl, p. 63; Ṣadūq, al-Khiṣāl, vol. 2, p. 541; Ibn Abī l-Ḥadīd, Sharḥ Nahj al-balāgha, vol. 1, p. 143-144; Madanī, al-Darajāt al-rafīʿa, p. 321.
- ↑ Dhahabī, Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ, vol. 1, p. 190.
- ↑ Ṭūsī, Ikhtiyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, vol. 1, p. 177-183.
- ↑ Ibn Shabbah, Tārīkh al-madīna al-muawwara, vol. 1, p. 194-195.
- ↑ Ṭūsī, al-Amālī, p. 728.
- ↑ Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn al-akhbār, vol. 2, p. 126; Kashshī, Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 38.
- ↑ Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī, vol. 4, p. 447.
- ↑ Ibn Ḥabbān, Mashāhīr ʿulamā al-amṣār, p. 12; Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī, al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn, vol. 3, p. 286.
- ↑ Aḥmad b. Ḥanbal, al-ʿIlal wa maʿrifat al-rijāl, vol. 1, p. 432; Khalīfa b. Khayyāṭ, Tārīkh-i Khalīfa, vol. 1, p. 146; Ibn Qutayba, al-Maʿārif, p. 270.
- ↑ Naṣr b. Muzāhim, Waqʿat Ṣiffīn, p. 365.
- ↑ Sayf b. ʿUmar, al-Fitna wa al-waqʿat al-Jamal, p. 110; Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 2, p. 112.
- ↑ Kulaynī, al-Rawḍa min al-kāfī, vol. 8, p. 31.
- ↑ Ibn Ḥabīb, Kitāb al-muḥabbar, p. 272; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 319; Ibn Quddāma, al-Istibṣār, p. 228; Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, al-Iṣāba, vol. 4, p. 213.
- ↑ Nahj al-balāgha, Khuṭba 182.
- Abu l-Bashar Dulābī, Muḥammad. Al-Kunā wa al-asmāʾ. Hyderabad Deccan: 1322 AH.
- Abūzurʿa Damishqī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān. Tārīkh Abūzurʿa Damishqī. Edited by Shukrullāh Qurbānī. Damascus: 1400 AH-1980.
- Abū Nuʿaym al-Iṣfahānī, Aḥmad. Maʿrifat al-sahāba. Istanbul: Kitābkhāna-yi Aḥmad Thālith, [n.d]
- Aḥmad b. Ḥanbal. Al-ʿIlal wa maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Waṣī Allāh Abbās. Beirut: 1408 AH-1988.
- Aḥmad b. Ḥanbal. Musnad-i Aḥmad. Cairo: 1313 AH.
- Barqī, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Kitāb al-Rijāl. Edited by Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥaddith Armawī. [n.p]. [n.d].
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Volume 1, Edited by Muḥammad Ḥamīd Allāh. Cairo: 1959; Volume 2, Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Beirut: 1349 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Futūḥ al-buldān. Edited by Ṣalāḥ al-Dīn Munjid. Cairo: 1956.
- Dāraquṭnī, ʿAlī b. ʿUmar. Al-Muʾtalif wa al-Mukhtalif. Edited by Muwaffaq b. ʿAbd Allāh. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Dhahabī, Muḥammad b. al-Aḥmad al-. Siyar aʿlām al-nubalāʾ. Edited by Shuʿayb al-Arnaʾūt and Ḥusayn Asad. Beirut: 1405 AH.
- Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī. Muḥammad. Al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn. Hyderabad Deccan: 1334 AH.
- Iskāfī, Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Miʿyār wa al-muwāzina. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Beirut: 1402 AH.
- Ibn Abī l-Ḥadīd, ʿAbd al-Ḥamīd b. Hibat Allāh. Sharḥ Nahj al-balāgha. Edited by Muḥammad Abu l-faḍl Ibrāhīm. Cairo: 1387 AH.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Usd al-ghāba fī maʿrifat al-ṣaḥāba. Cairo: 1280 AH.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, ʿAlī b. Abī l-Karam. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. [n.p]. [n.d].
- Ibn Ḥabbān, Muḥammad. Mashāhīr ʿulamā al-amṣār. Edited by Fleisch Hammer. Cairo: 1379 AH-1959.
- Ibn Ḥabīb, Muḥammad b. Ḥabīb b. Umayya. Kitāb al-muḥabbar. Edited by Ilza Likhtin Shititr. Hyderabad Deccan: 1361 AH-1942.
- Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Al-Iṣāba fī tamyīz al-ṣaḥāba. Cairo: 1238 AH.
- Ibn Ḥazm, ʿAlī b. Aḥmad. Jumhurat ansāb al-ʿarab. Beirut: 1403 AH.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Beirut: Dār Ṣādir, [n.d].
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Edited by Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭā. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-ʿIlmiyya, 1410 AH-1990.
- Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, Yūsuf b. ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Istīʿāb fī maʿrifat al-aṣḥāb. Edited by ʿAlī Muḥammad al-Bajāwī. Beirut: 1380 AH.
- Ibn Qutayba al-Dīnawarī, ʿAbd Allah b. Muslim . Al-Maʿārif. Edited by Tharwat ʿAkkāsha. Cairo: 1960.
- Ibn Quddāma, ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Istibṣār fī nasab al-ṣaḥāba min al-anṣār. Edited by ʿAlī Nuwayhaḍ. Beirut: 1392 AH-1972.
- Ibn Nuqṭa, Muḥammad. Takmilat al-ikmāl. Edited by ʿAbd al-Qayyūm ʿAbd al-Rabb al-Nabī. Mecca: 1408 AH-1987.
- Ibn Kalbī, Hisham b. Muḥammad. Nasab al-muʿid wa Yaman al-kabīr. Edited by Maḥmūd Firdaws ʿAzm. Damascus: Dār al-Zīza, [n.d].
- Ibn Hishām, ʿAbd al-Malik. Al-Sīra al-nabawīyya. Edited by Ibrāhīm Ābyārī and others. Cairo: 1375 AH.
- Khalīfa b. Khayyāṭ. Tārīkh-i Khalīfa. Edited by Suhayl Zukār. Damascus: 1968.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Ḥasan Muṣṭafawī. Mashhad: 1348 Sh.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Rawḍa min al-kāfī. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: 1389 AH.
- Madanī, ʿAlīkhān. Al-Darajāt al-rafīʿa. Qom: 1397 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Jumal. Najaf: 1960.
- Naṣr b. Muzāhim Minqarī. Waqʿat Ṣiffīn. Edited by ʿAbd al-Salām Muḥammad Hārūn. Cairo: 1382 AH.
- Numīrī, Ibn Shabbah. Tārīkh al-madīna al-muawwara. Edited by Fahīm Muḥammad Shaltūt. Qom: Dār al-Fikr, 1410 AH.
- Ṣāliḥī Shāmī, Muḥammad b. Yusuf. Subul al-hudā wa al-rashād fī sīrat khayr al-ʿibād. Edited by ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz ʿAbd al-Ḥaq Ḥilmī. Cairo: 1395 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Khiṣāl. Tehran: Intishārāt-i ʿIlmiyya Islāmiya, [n.d].
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. ʿUyūn al-akhbār al-ṣafwa. Edited by Maḥmūd Fākhūrī and Muḥammad Rawās Qalʿajī. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Tamīmī, Sayf b. ʿUmar. Al-Fitna wa al-waqʿat al-Jamal. Edited by Aḥmad Rātib ʿArmūsh. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī. ʿUrūq b. Zubayr. Maghāzī Rasūl Allāh. Edited by Muḥammad Muṣtafā Aʿzamī. Riyadh: 1401 AH-1981.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Amālī. Edited by Qism al-Dirāsāt al-Islāmīyya. Qom: Dār al-Thiqāfa li-ṭibaʿat wa al-Nashr wa al-Tawzīʿ, 1414 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Ikhtiyār maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Mīr Dāmād Istarābādī and Sayyid Mahdī Rajāʾī. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1404 AH.
- Wāqidī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Al-Maghāzī. Edited by Marsden Jones. London: 1996.
- Yaḥyā b. Muʿīn. Al-Tārīkh. Edited by Muḥammad Aḥmad Nūr Sayf. Mecca: 1399 AH.
- Yaʿqūbī, Aḥmad b. Abī Yaʿqūb al-. Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī. Beirut: 1379 AH-1960.