|Full Name||Samāk b. Aws b. Kharasha b. Lawdhān|
|Cause of Death/Martyrdom||Battle against Musaylama al-Kadhdhab|
|Presence at Ghazwas||Badr, Uhud, and other ghazwas|
Samāk b. Aws b. Kharasha b. Lawdhān (Arabic: سماک بن اوس بن خَرَشَة بن لوذان) (b. ? - d. 12/633), famous as Abū Dujāna is of Ansar and companions of the Prophet (s). He participated in the battles of Badr, Uhud and other Ghazwas (battles) and was among the few companions who stood beside the Prophet (s) in the Battle of Uhudand and protected him despite the progress and victories of the pagan enemies. He was martyred in a battle against Musaylama al-Kadhdhab in 12/633.
As a Companion of the Prophet (s)
In the battle of Uhud, the Prophet (s) gave a sword to Abu Dujana. He displayed great courage and perseverance and was among the few who, in spite of Quraysh's surprise attack, stayed with the Prophet (s) to protect him; therefore, the Prophet (s) prayed for him.
In the year 4/625 and after Muslims prevailed over the Jews of Banu Nadir; the Prophet (s) divided the booty among the Emigrant (Muhajirin) only, but since Abu Dujana and Sahl b. Hunayf were poor, he gave each a share.
After the Prophet (s)
He also participated in the Battle against the Apostates. When the followers of Musaylama al-Kadhdhab had taken refuge in a garden, Abu Dujana encouraged Muslims to fight against them and as a result of his bravery and perseverance, Muslims could occupy the garden.
It's been narrated that Abu Dujana wounded Musaylama and fought with courage till he was martyred by Musaylama's followers; however, according to one account, he was martyred by Musaylama himself.
The similarity between the names of Abu Dujana (Samak b. Aws b. Kharasha), who was a companion of the Prophet (s), and Samak b. Makhrima al-Asadi, who was one of 'Uthmanians who disassociated himself from Imam Ali (a), and Samak b. Kharasha al-Ju'fi, misled some historians into believing that Abu Dujana participated in the Battle of Siffin.
- Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 2, p. 353; Balādhurī, Futūḥ al-buldān, vol. 1, p. 110; Ibn Athīr, Usd al-ghāba, vol. 2, p. 352.
- Ibn Isḥāq, al-Sīyar wa al-maghāzī, p. 326; Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 2, p. 353.
- Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 76; Ibn Athīr, Usd al-ghāba, vol. 2, p. 352.
- Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 3, p. 71; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 557-566.
- Ibn Hishām, al-Sīra al-nabawīyya, vol. 3, p. 87; Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 240.
- Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 246; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 1, p. 320.
- Wāqidī, al-Maghāzī, vol. 1, p. 379; Balādhurī, Futūḥ al-buldān, vol. 1, p. 18-19.
- >Wāqidī, al-Radda, p. 72, 74.
- Wāqidī, al-Radda, p. 74; Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 557; Balādhurī, Futūḥ al-buldān, vol. 1, p. 110.
- Yaʿqūbī, Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī, vol. 2, p. 130.
- Thaqafī, al-ghārāt, vol. 1, p. 323; vol. 2, p. 484; Dāraquṭnī, al-Muʾtalif, vol. 1, p. 313-314.
- Naṣr b. Muzāḥim, Waqʿat Ṣiffīn, p. 375.
- Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, al-Istīʿāb, vol. 2, p. 615-652; Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 2, p, 128; ʿAskarī, Khamsūn wa mi'a ṣaḥābī mukhtalaq, vol. 2, p. 195.
- Abū ʿAlī Miskawayh, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Tajārub al-umam. Edited by Abu l-Qāsim Imāmī. Tehran: 1366 Sh.
- ʿAskarī, Murtaḍā. Khamsūn wa mi'a ṣaḥābī mukhtalaq. Beirut: 1394 AH.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Muḥammad Ḥamīd Allāh. Cairo: 1959.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Futūḥ al-buldān. Edited by Ṣalāḥ al-Dīn Munjid. Cairo: 1956, 1960.
- Dāraquṭnī, ʿAlī b. ʿUmar. Al-Muʾtalif wa al-Mukhtalif. Edited by Muwaffaq b. ʿAbd Allāh. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Ibn Athīr, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Usd al-ghāba. Cairo: 1280 AH.
- Ibn Isḥāq, Muḥammad. Al-Sīyar wa al-maghāzī. Edited by Suhayl Zakar. Beirut: 1398 AH.
- Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Al-Iṣāba fī tamyyīz al-ṣaḥāba. Cairo: 1327 AH.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, [n.d].
- Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, Yūsuf b. ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Istīʿāb fī maʿrifat al-aṣḥāb. Edited by ʿAlī Muḥammad al-Bajāwī. Cairo: 1380 AH.
- Ibn Hishām, ʿAbd al-Malik. Al-Sīra al-nabawīyya. Edited by Muṣṭafā al-Saqā. Cairo: 1355 AH.
- Naṣr b. Muzāhim Minqarī. Waqʿat Ṣiffīn. Edited by ʿAbd al-Salām Muḥammad Hārun. Cairo: 1382 AH.
- Wāqidī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Al-Radda. narrated by Ibn Aʿtham al-Kūfī. Edited by Muḥammad Ḥamīd Allāh. Paris: 1409 AH.
- Wāqidī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Al-Maghāzī. Edited by Marsden Joyce. London: 1966.
- Yaʿqūbī, Aḥmad b. Isḥaq al-. Tārīkh al-yaʿqūbī. Beirut: 1379 AH.