Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh (Arabic: محمد بن عبد اللّه ; b. 'Am al-Fil/571 Mecca – d. 11/632 Medina) is the prophet of Islam, whose mission was essentially the advancement of monotheism and morality. He (s) was also a social reformist and a political leader. He (s) was the last prophet of God, and his major miracle was the Qur'an.
Although the Prophet (s) was born in the polytheistic society of Arabia, he never worshiped any idols. He also avoided the inappropriate manners that were rampant in pre-Islamic Arabia. He (s) was chosen by God as a prophet at the age of forty. Although the polytheists of Mecca persecuted him and his followers for many years, neither he nor his followers gave up following Islam. After thirteen years of preaching in Mecca, he immigrated to Medina. This immigration (Hijra) marked what became the beginning of the Islamic calendar. In Medina, he established an ever-expanding community of believers, the Muslim ummah.
Because of the efforts of the Prophet (s), the pre-Islamic Age of Ignorance ended, and the polytheistic society of Arabia was transformed into a monotheistic society in a short time. Towards the end of the Prophet's (s) life, almost everyone in the Arabian Peninsula had converted to Islam. The number of Muslims has continued to grow ever since, and Islam is now the fastest-growing religion globally....
- Procession of Arba'in «A great march of Shi'as from different parts of Iraq to Karbala in the days leading to 20 Safar (day of Arba'in)»
- Captives of Karbala «Members of Ahl al-Bayt (a) and the families of some of the martyrs of Karbala who were captured by the Kufian army during the Event of Karbala»
- Battle of Siffin «The battle between Imam 'Ali (a) and Mu'awiya b. Abi Sufyan occurred in 37/657 in an area called Siffin»
- Attack at Shah Cheragh Holy Shrine «ISIS terrorist attack on pilgrims of Shahcheragh Shrine in Shiraz"»
- Sermon of Lady Zaynab (a) in Damascus «The sermon that lady Zaynab (a) delivered after the Event of 'Ashura when the caravan of the captives of Karbala was taken to the gathering of Yazid b. Mu'awiya in Damascus.»
On this day
- 1894 CE - Demise of Taj al-'Ulama (Rabi' II 4, 1312)
- 1965 CE - Exile of Sayyid Ruh Allah Khomeini from Turkey to Iraq (Jumada II 9, 1385)