Inscription belongs to sixth century which is now held at Astan Quds Razavi museum. The verse is engraved on the sidelines.
|Imam Ali (a)|
|About||Imamate of Imam Ali (a)|
|Related Verses||al-Tabligh verse, al-Ikmal verse|
Al-Wilāya Verse (Arabic: آية الولاية) is the verse 55 of Qur'an 5 (Sura al-Ma'ida) which has been revealed about Imam Ali (a) and has praised him. Shi'as refer to this verse as a proof for the wilayah of Imam 'Ali (a).
إِنَّما وَلِيُّكُمُ اللَّهُ وَرَسولُهُ وَالَّذينَ آمَنُوا الَّذينَ يُقيمونَ الصَّلاةَ وَيُؤتونَ الزَّكاةَ وَهُم راكِعونَ
Your guardian is only Allah, His Apostle, and the faithful who maintain the prayer and give the zakat while bowing down.
|— Quran 5:55|
Occasion of Revelation
This verse has been revealed about Imam 'Ali (a). This view is unanimously accepted by Shiite exegetes. It is almost the same among Sunni exegetes. In his Mawaqif, Qadi Iji has stipulated that exegetes unanimously believe that this verse has been revealed about 'Ali (a). Al-Jurjani in his commentary on Mawaqif, Sa'd al-Din al-Taftazani in his Sharh-i maqasid and al-'Allama al-Hilli in commentary on Tajrid have confessed to this consensus. There are also some hadiths in some Sunni exegeses that claim this verse has been revealed about 'Abd Allah b. Salam, 'Ubada b. al-Samit, Abu Bakr and all muslims, however, none of them have strong bases.
According to some hadiths:
- Once, a poor man entered al-Masjid al-Nabawi and asked for help, but no one helped him. He rose his hands to the sky and said: O Allah, witness that I asked for help in the mosque of Your Prophet (s) but no one helped me. Meanwhile, Imam 'Ali (a) who was praying and was in ruku', signaled the poor with his right hand. The poor man came and took out the ring; and the verse was revealed.
The occasion of the revelation (sabab al-nuzul) mentioned above has been narrated by the companions including: 'Abd Allah b. 'Abbas, Abu Rafi' al-Madani, 'Ammar b. Yasir, Abu Dhar al-Ghifari, Anas b. Malik, Miqdad b. al-Aswad. From Tabi'un, Muslima b. Kuhayl, 'Utbat b. Abi Hakim, al-Suddi, and Mujahid have narrated this story.
Indication of the Verse
There's no doubt for Shi'a exegetes that in the verse by "the faithful who maintain the prayer and give the zakat while bowing down" Imam 'Ali (a) is meant, and also in the view of Sunni scholars the fame of the narration about the phrase of the verse being about Imam 'Ali (a) is to the extent that 'Adud al-Din al-Iji, the famous Sunni theologian, affirms in his book al-Mawaqif that the exegetes have ijma' (consensus) that this verse was revealed about 'Ali (a). al-Jurjani in Sharh al-mawaqif, Sa'd al-Din al-Taftazani in Sharh al-maqasid, al-Qushchi in Sharh tajrid al-i'tiqad also have confirmed the ijma'.
Great Sunni muhaddiths have narrated the hadith in their books, like: Hafiz 'Abd al-Razzaq al-San'ani, Hafiz 'Abd b. Hamid, Hafiz Razin b. Mu'awiya, Hafiz al-Nasa'i, Hafiz Muhammad b. Jarir al-Tabari, Ibn Abi Hatam, Ibn 'Asakir, Abu Bakr b. Murdawayh, Abu l-Qasim al-Tabrani, al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, al-Haythami, Ibn al-Jawzi, Muhibb al-Tabari, Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti, and al-Muttaqi al-Hindi. Al-Alusi says: most of the muhaddiths believe that the verse was revealed about 'Ali (a).
Indication of the Wilaya of Imam 'Ali (a)
The verse begins with "Innama" (Arabic: إنّما) which, according to scholars of arab, indicates the exclusivity, so according to the verse, Allah, the Prophet (s) and Imam 'Ali (a) are exclusively considered as wali.
The word "wali" (Arabic:ولي) is derived from Wilaya meaning the administrator and guardian.
Ibn Manzur says: "the wali of an orphan is someone who is responsible for his affairs, and the wali of a bride is her agent in concluding the marriage contract. Al-Fayyumi says: "wali of a person is someone who is responsible for his affairs".
So the very meaning of wali is the administrator and someone who is responsible for someone else. Other meanings are derived from this meaning.
- Allah ordered his Prophet (s) about the wilayah of Imam 'Ali (a) [after the Prophet (s)] and revealed the al-Wilaya Verse and obligated the obedience of uli l-amr [in the Uli l-Amr Verse], and people did not know what is this wilaya. Allah ordered His Prophet (s) to describe them wilaya as he had described prayer, zakat, fasting, and hajj. The Prophet (s) was worried about people turn from Islam and impugn him, so he referred to His God and Allah revealed al-Tabligh Verse: "O Apostle! Communicate that which has been sent down to you from your Lord, and if you do not, you will not have communicated His message, and Allah shall protect you from the people. Indeed Allah does not guide the faithless lot." So the Prophet (s) publicized the wilaya of 'Ali (a) in Ghadir Khumm and ordered the present to inform the absent.
- Ṭabarānī, al-Muʿjam al-awsaṭ, vol. 6, p. 218.
- Iījī, al-Mawāqif, p. 405.
- Iījī, al-Mawāqif, p. 405.
- Taftāzānī, Shrḥ al-maqāṣid, vol. 5, p. 269.
- ʿAllāma al-Ḥillī, Kashf al-murād, p. 191.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, Zād al-masīr, vol. 1, p. 560.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, Zād al-masīr, vol. 1, p. 561.
- Shūshtarī, Iḥqāq al-ḥaq, vol. 2, p. 400; Ḥākim al-Ḥaskānī, Shawāhid al-tanzīl, vol. 1, p. 209-239.
- Ḥākim al-Ḥaskānī, Shawāhid al-tanzīl, vol. 1, p. 232.
- Ṭabarānī, al-Muʿjam al-kabīr, vol. 1, p. 320-321.
- Suyūṭī, al-Durar al-manthūr, vol. 3, p. 106.
- Ibn Tīmīyya, Tafsīr al-kabīr, vol. 12, p. 26.
- Ḥākim al-Ḥaskānī, Shawāhid al-tanzīl, vol. 1, p. 225.
- Ḥākim al-Ḥaskānī, Shawāhid al-tanzīl, vol. 1, p. 228.
- Suyūṭī, al-Durar al-manthūr, vol. 3, p. 105.
- Ibn Abī Ḥātam, Tafsīr al-Qurʾān al-ʿaẓīm, vol. 4, p. 1162.
- Ṭabarī, Jāmiʿ al-bayān, vol. 10, p. 425.
- Ṭabarī, Jāmiʿ al-bayān, vol. 10, p. 426.
- Shūshtarī, Iḥqāq al-ḥaq, vol. 2, p. 399-407.
- Ālūsī, Rūḥ al-maʿānī, vol. 3, p. 335.
- Mufīd, al-Ifṣāḥ fī l-Imāma, p. 134; Ṭūsī, al-Tibyān, vol. 3, p. 559.
- Ṭūsī, Talkhīṣ al-shāfī, vol. 2, p. 10.
- Ibn Hishām, Mughnī l-labīb, vol. 1, p. 39.
- Ibn Manẓūr, Lisān al-ʿArab, vol. 15, p. 407.
- ʿAllāma al-Ḥillī, al-Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Kashf al-murād fī sharḥ tajrīd al-iʿtiqād. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Imām al-Ṣādiq, 1382 Sh.
- Ālūsī, Maḥmūd b. ʿAbd Allāh al-. Rūḥ al-maʿānī fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān al-ʿaẓīm. Edited by ʿAlī ʿAbd al-Bārī ʿAṭīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, n.d.
- Ḥākim al-Ḥaskānī, ʿUbayd Allāh al-. Shawāhid al-tanzīl li-l-qawāʾid al-tafṣīl. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir al-Maḥmūdī. Second edition.Qom: Majmaʿ Iḥyāʾ al-Thaqāfa al-Islāmīyya, 1411 AH.
- Ibn Abī Ḥātam, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Muḥammad. Tafsīr al-Qurʾān al-ʿaẓīm. Edited by Asʿad Muḥammad al-Ṭayyib. Second edition. Beirut: al-Maktaba al-ʿAṣrīyya, 1419 AH.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. ʿAlī. Zād al-masīr fī ʿilm al-tafsīr. Edited by ʿAbd al-Razzāq Mahdī. Beirut: Dār al-Kitāb al-ʿArabī, n.d.
- Ibn Hishām, ʿAbd Allāh b. Yūsuf. Mughnī l-labīb ʿan kutāb al-aʿārīb. Edited by Muḥammad Muḥyī al-Dīn ʿAbd al-Ḥamīd. Qom: Maktabat Āyat Allāh al-Marʿashī, 1410 AH.
- Ibn Manẓūr, Muḥammad b. Mukrim. Lisān al-ʿArab. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr l-Ṭibāʿa wa l-Nashr, n.d.
- Ibn Taymīyya, Aḥmad b. ʿAbd al-Ḥalīm. Tafsīr al-kabīr. Edited by ʿAbd al-Raḥmān ʿUmayra. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1408 AH.
- Iījī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān al-. Al-Mawāqif fī ʿilm al-kalām. Beirut: ʿĀlam al-Kutub, n.d.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Ifṣāḥ fī l-Imāma. Qom: al-Muʾtamar al-ʿĀlamī l-Alfīyt al-Shaykh al-Mufīd, n.d.
- Shūshtarī, Nūr Allāh b. Sharīf al-Dīn al-. Iḥqāq al-ḥaq. Qom: Maktabat Āyat Allāh al-Marʿashī, 1409 AH.
- Suyūṭī, Jalāl al-Dīn al-. Al-Durr al-manthūr. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1403 AH.
- Ṭabarānī, Sulaymān b. Aḥmad al-. Al-Muʿjam al-awsaṭ. Edited by Ṭāriq b. ʿIwaḍ Allāh. Cairo: Dār al-Ḥaramayn, n.d.
- Ṭabarānī, Sulaymān b. Aḥmad al-. Al-Muʿjam al-kabīr. Edited by Ḥamdī ʿAbd al-Majīd. Second edition. Beirut: Dār al-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, n.d.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Jāmiʿ al-bayān. Edited by Aḥmad Muḥammad Shākir. n.p. : Muʾassisat al-Risāla, 1420 AH.
- Taftāzānī, Masʿūd b. ʿUmar al-. Shrḥ al-maqāṣid. Edited by ʿAbd al-Raḥmān ʿUmayra. Qom: al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1412 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Tibyān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Edited by Aḥmad Ḥabīb al-ʿĀmilī. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, n.d.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Talkhīṣ al-shāfī. Qom: Intishārāt al-Muḥibbīn, 1382 Sh.