- For other books with similar titles, see Manaqib (disambiguation).
|Author||Mir Muhammad Salih al-Tirmidhi|
|Original title||مَناقب مُرتَضَوی در مناقب شاه اولیا، امیرالمؤمنین علی مرتضی علیهالسلام|
|Subject||virtues of Amir al-Mu'minin 'Ali (a)|
Manāqib-i Murtaḍawī dar manāqib-i shāh-i awlīyāʾ Amīr al-Muʾminīn ʿAlī Murtaḍā ʿalayh al-salām (Persian: مَناقب مُرتَضَوی در مناقب شاه اولیا، امیرالمؤمنین علی مرتضی علیهالسلام) is a Persian book concerning the virtues of Amir al-Mu'minin 'Ali (a) written by Mir Muhammad Salih al-Tirmidhi (d. 1060/1650), a Sunni scholar with an Iranian origin, residing in India.
- Main article: Mir Muhammad Salih al-Tirmidhi
Mir Muhammad Salih al-Tirmidhi al-Husayni al-Akbarabadi was a Sunni scholar with the pen-names, "Kashfi" and "Subhani". He was a scholar of hadiths, a poet, and a calligrapher. He was of an Iranian origin and a Sufi of the Qadiriyya Chain in India. He wrote works concerning Prophet Muhammad (s) and Shiite Imams (a), including Manaqib-i Murtadawi. In this work which is a combination of prose and poems, al-Tirmidhi is concerned with the virtues of Imam 'Ali (a). Given the contents of his work, he might count as having Shiite tendencies.
Motivation for Writing
In his preface to the book, the author refers to his motivation for writing Manaqib-i Murtadawi as follows: "in a meeting where the mystical significance of 'Ali (a) was mentioned, a prejudiced Sunni Muslim denied it, leading to debates and discussions. After that, he was asked by some people to write a book concerning the significance of 'Ali (a)".
Method of Writing
Although the author is a Sunni Muslim, his strong tendencies to Ahl al-Bayt (a) and Shiism made his books very similar to Shi'a works. He writes the material in rhythmic prose, and the contents have mystical orientations. Since the author was Indian, he wrote in a similar way to Indian authors. In addition to verses of the Quran and hadiths, he also cites remarks by prominent scholars, mystics, proverbs, and poems.
The contents of the book are largely devoted to the virtues of 'Ali (a). The 12 chapters of the book are concerned with virtues of 'Ali (a), and hadiths by the Prophet (s) regarding his asceticism, generosity, courage, and the like. Some of them are concerned with 'Ali's (a) marriage with Fatima al-Zahra (a) and the events of the period of his caliphate.
- Chapter 1: the Quranic texts concerning the virtues of 'Ali (a).
- Chapter 2: hadiths by the Prophet (s) regarding his virtues.
- Chapter 3: the Murtadawi virtues.
- Chapter 4: 'Ali's (a) marriage with Sayyidat al-Nisa' (a).
- Chapter 5: on knowledge and revelation.
- Chapter 6: on extraordinary acts and miracles.
- Chapter 7: on his asceticism and piety.
- Chapter 8: on his generosity.
- Chapter 9: on his courage and power.
- Chapter 10: on his intelligence.
- Chapter 11: on Imam 'Ali's (a) formal and spiritual caliphate.
Sources of the Book
There are many sources cited in this book. The book cites the relevant sources before articulating any of its materials. Some of them are as follow:
- Kutub al-Sitta
- Musnad Ahmad
- Al-Mustadrak by Al-Hakim Nishaburi
- Hilyat al-awliya'
- Shawahid al-nubuwwa
- 'Uyun akhbar al-Rida (a)
- Kashf al-ghumma fi ma'rifat al-a'imma
- Nahj al-haqq wa kashf al-sidq
- Al-Tafsir by Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari
- Al-Khara'ij wa l-jara'ih
- Manaqib Ibn Mardawayh
- Rawdat al-safa
- Habib al-sayr
- Al-Sawa'iq al-muhriaqa
- Fasl al-khitab
- Zuhrat al-riyad
- Rawdat al-shuhada'
The book also cites many poems.
Manuscripts and Publications
- A lithographical print in Mumbai, octavo size, twenty seven lines, with broken nasta'liq calligraphy which is a little difficult to read.
The book was published in 1380 Sh/2001 by Rowzanah Publications in Tehran.
- Tirmidhī, Manāqib murtaḍawī, p. 11.
- Tirmidhī, Manāqib murtaḍawī, p. 11.
- Tirmidhī, Manāqib murtaḍawī, p. 15.
- Tirmidhī, Manāqib murtaḍawī, p. 354-357.
- Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa, vol. 22, p. 334.
- Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, Muḥammad Muḥsin. Al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa. Beirut: [n.d].
- Kitāb-i Shinākht-i sīra-yi Maʿṣūmān. Noor Computer Research Center of Islamic Sciences.
- Tirmidhī, Muḥammad Ṣāliḥ. Manāqib murtaḍawī. Tehran: Ruzana, 1380 Sh.