Ḥadīth al-Safīna (the narration of the ark) is a famous hadith narrated from Prophet Muhammad (s). In this Hadith, the Ahl al-Bayt (a) of the Prophet are likened to Noah's Ark. The Hadith is counted as one of the narrative proofs of the special situation of the Prophet's household in guidance and leadership of Muslims.
According to the narration of Abu Dhar al-Ghifari from the Prophet (s), the hadith reads:
|“||إِنَّمَا مَثَلُ أَهْلِ بَیتِی فِیکُمْ کَمَثَلِ سَفِینَةِ نُوحٍ، مَنْ دَخَلَهَا نَجَی، وَ مَنْ تَخَلَّفَ عَنْهَا غَرِقَ||”|
|“||The example of my household among you is like Noah's Ark, whoever boards it will survive and whoever misses it will drown.||”|
Hadith al-Safina is narrated through about 50 chains of transmission in various hadith collections with slightly different words, in a way that has reached the level of Tawatur of the Content. The Hadith is narrated by six infallible Imams (a) (Imam Ali, Imam al-Hasan, Imam al-Sajjad, Imam al-Baqir, Imam al-Sadiq and Imam al-Rida (a)), some Sahabas (the Companions of the Prophet (s)) (Abu Dhar, Miqdad, Abu Sa'id al-Khudri, Ibn Abbas, Anas b. Malik, Salama b. Akwa', Abd Allah b. Zubayr and Abu Musa Ash'ari) and a group of Tabi'un (the Followers).
Shi'a scholars paid a special attention to this Hadith as a proof of the rightfulness of Ahl al-Bayt (a). 'Allama Sharaf al-Din has mentioned this Hadith as the second proof for their rightfulness in his book, al-Muraji'at.
The Hadith is used as evidence for proving the following points:
- Necessity of obedience and adherence: In this Hadith, Ahl al-Bayt (a) are introduced as a means of salvation; to obey the means of salvation is necessary to attain salvation. Thus, it is necessary to obey Ahl al-Bayt (a).
- Infallibility of Ahl al-Bayt (a): if someone whose obedience is obligatory is fallible, there will be no guarantee that he does not make any mistakes in his guidance. While in the Hadith, salvation through Ahl al-Bayt (a) has been guaranteed. Therefore, Ahl al-Bayt (a) must be infallible.
- Superiority of Ahl al-Bayt (a): If there were other people who were superior to Ahl al-Bayt (a), they should have been mentioned in the Hadith as the rescue ark.
- Affection for Ahl al-Bayt (a): Entering the rescue ark without having affection for Ahl al-Bayt (a) is not possible.
Having narrated this Hadith in his book al-Mustadrak from Abu Dhar, al-Hakim al-Nayshaburi explicitly says that based on Muslim al-Nayshaburi's criteria this Hadith is Sahih, i.e. this Hadith is similar to other Hadiths mentioned by Muslim in his book Sahih, which is the second most reliable Hadith collection in Sunni school of thought.
As Abu Dhar held the door of Ka'ba while narrating this Hadith, al-Tayyibi believes that this act is an emphasis on the authenticity of it and his appearance publicly and especially, in Masjid al-Haram shows the importance of this Hadith to Abu Dhar, and that he wanted to draw the attention of the public to it. Al-Tayyibi adds that in another narration Abu Dhar introduced him in the beginning by saying "who knows me, knows me; and who does not, I am Abu Dhar. I heard the Prophet …." By introducing himself, he wanted to remind people of another Hadith from the Prophet (s) about himself: "There is no one under the sky and on the earth more truthful than Abu Dhar." In Hadith al-Safina the Prophet of God (s) has mentioned this ark as the only way for redemption of this world and its seductions.
Al-Samhudi writes in al-Jawahir al-'iqdayn that the ark of Ahl al-Bayt (a) will rescue those who board it as Noah's Ark did. The Hadith wants to encourage people to hold firmly to the rope of Ahl al-Bayt (a), honor them and have affection for them.
Likewise, al-Manawi writes in his book Fayd al-qadir that Ahl al-Bayt (a) were likened to Noah's Ark as they rescue and guide people, i.e. as the people who were on Noah's Ark survived and were rescued, the salvation of the Islamic nation depends on adherence to Ahl al-Bayt (a); for they are the leaders and bright lights of guidance.
- Ṭūsī, al-Amālī, p. 633; Daylamī, Irshād al-qulūb, vol. 2, p. 306; Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, vol. 2, p. 27; Ṣadūq, al-Amālī, p. 269, hadith no. 18; Ṭabrisī, al-Iḥtijāj, vol. 1, p. 273.
- See: Riḍāyī, Pazhūhishī dar ḥadīth-i safīna, pp. 97-130.
- Suyūṭī, al-Durr al-manthūr, vol. 1, p. 174; Sulaym b. Qays , Kitāb Sulaym b. Qays, vol. 2, p. 560.
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 44, p. 76.
- Sulaym b. Qays , Kitāb Sulaym b. Qays, vol. 1, p. 61.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma, vol. 1, p. 281.
- Ibn Ḥayyūn , Sharh al-akhbar, vol. 3, p. 3; Nuʿmānī, Kitāb al-Ghayba, p. 155.
- Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, vol. 2, p. 27.
- Ibn Maghāzīlī, Manāqib ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib, p. 149; Sulaym b. Qays, Kitāb Sulaym b. Qays, vol. 2, p. 560, 937; Ṭūsī, al-Amālī, p. 60; Ibn Ḥayyūn, Sharh al-akhbar, vol. 3, p. 3.
- Sulaym b. Qays , Kitāb Sulaym b. Qays, vol. 2, p. 560.
- Ibn Ḥayyūn, Sharh al-akhbar, vol. 3, p. 3.
- Ḥamuwayī al-Juwaynī, Farāʾid al-simṭayn, vol. 2, p. 247; Ibn Maghāzīlī, Manāqib ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib, p. 148.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh-i Baghdād, vol. 12, p. 90.
- Ibn Maghāzīlī, Manāqib ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib, p. 148.
- Haythamī, Majmaʿ al-zawāʾid wa manbaʿ al-fawāʾid, vol. 9, p. 138.
- Ibn Ḥayyūn al-Tamīmīyy, Sharh al-akhbar, vol. 2, p. 405.
- See: Pazhūhishī dar ḥadīth-i safīna, pp. 97-130.
- Munāwī, al-Taysīr, vol. 1, p. 343; Mullā ʿAlī al-Qārī, Mirqāt al-mafātīḥ, vol. 9, p. 3988; Samhudī, vol. 2, p. 126; Sayyid Murtaḍā, al-Shāfī fī l-imāma, vol. 3, p. 120; haraf al-Dīn, al-Majālis al-fākhira fī mātam al-ʿitra al-ṭāhira, p. 77.
- Sayyid Murtaḍā, al-Shāfī fī l-imāma, vol. 3, p. 120; Abū l-Ṣalāḥ al-Ḥalabī, al-Kāfī fī l-fiqh, p. 97.
- Mīr Ḥāmid Ḥusayn, ʿAbaqāt al-anwār, vol. 23, p. 977.
- Fakhr al-Rāzī, Mafātīḥ al-ghayb, vol. 27, p. 596; Haythamī, al-Ṣawāʿiq al-muḥraqa, vol. 2, pp. 445-46.
- Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī, al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn, vol. 2, p. 273.
- Ḥusaynī Mīlānī, Tashyīd al-murājiʿāt wa tanfīd al-mukābirāt, vol. 1, p. 133.
- Ḥusaynī Mīlānī, Tashyīd al-murājiʿāt wa tanfīd al-mukābirāt, vol. 12, p. 3919.
- Samhudī, Jawāhir al-ʿiqdayn, vol. 2, p. 126.
- Munāwī, Fayḍ al-qadīr, vol. 2, p. 519.
- Ridayi, Ghulamrida. Pazhūhishī dar ḥadīth-i safīna. Published in Kalam-i Islami Quarterly, no. 84, 1391 Sh.
- Abū l-Ṣalāḥ al-Ḥalabī, Taqī b. Najm al-Dīn. Edited by Rida Ustadi. Qom: Maktaba Amīr al-Muʾminīn. [n.d.].
- Daylamī, Ḥasan b. Abī l-Ḥasan al-. Irshād al-qulūb. Qom: al-Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1412 AH.
- Fakhr al-Rāzī, Muḥammad b. al-ʿUmar al-. Mafātīḥ al-ghayb (al-Tafsīr al-Kabīr). Third edition. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1420 AH.
- Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī. Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh al-. Al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn. Edited by Musṭafā ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭā. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1411 AH.
- Ḥamuwayī al-Juwaynī, Ibrāhīm b. Muḥammad. Farāʾid al-simṭayn. Edited by Muhammad Baqir Mahmudi. Tehran: Dawūd, 1378 Sh.
- Haythamī, Ibn Hajar. Al-Ṣawāʿiq al-muḥraqa. Edited by Abd al-Rahman b. Abd Allah al-Turki. Beirut: Mu'assisat al-Risalah, 1417 AH.
- Haythamī, ʿAlī b. Abūbakr. Majmaʿ al-zawāʾid wa manbaʿ al-fawāʾid. Edited by Hisam al-Din Qudsi. Cairo: Maktabat al-Qudsī, 1414 AH.
- Ḥusaynī Mīlānī, Sayyid ʿAlī al-. Tashyīd al-murājiʿāt wa tanfīd al-mukābirāt. Qom: [n., 1417 AH.
- Ibn Ḥayyūn al-Tamīmīyy, al-Nuʿmān b. Muḥammad. Sharh al-akhbar. Edited by Muhammad Husayn Husayni Jalali. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī Tābiʿat li Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1409 AH.
- Ibn Maghāzīlī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Manāqib ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib. Mashhad: Rastigār, 1387 Sh.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Tārīkh-i Baghdād. Edited by Musṭafā ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭā. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1417 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Second edition. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1403 AH.
- Mīr Ḥāmid Ḥusayn. ʿAbaqāt al-anwār fī imāmat al-aʾimmat al-aṭhār. Isfahan: Kitabkhāna-yi Amīr al-Muʾminīn, 1366 Sh.
- Mullā ʿAlī al-Qārī. Mirqāt al-mafātīḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1422 AH.
- Munāwī, Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Raʾūf al-. Al-Taysīr. Riyadh: Maktabat al-Imām al-Shāfiʿī, 1408 AH.
- Munāwī, Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Raʾūf al-. Fayḍ al-qadīr. Egypt: al-Maktabat al-Tijarīyya al-Kubrā, 1356 AH.
- Nuʿmānī, Muḥammad b. Ibrāhīm al-. Kitāb al-Ghayba. Edited by Ali Akbar Ghaffari. Tehran: Nashr-i Ṣadūq, 1397 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Amālī. kitābkhāna-yi Islāmī, 1362 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Islāmiyya, 1395 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā. Edited by Mahdī Lājiwardī. Tehran: Nashr-i Jahān, 1378 AH.
- Samhudī, ʿAlī b. ʿAbd Allāh. Jawāhir al-ʿiqdayn. Baghdad: al-Maṭbaʿa al-ʿĀnī, 1405 AH.
- Sayyid Murtaḍā. Al-Shāfī fī l-imāma. Edited by Sayyid ʿAbd al-Zahrāʾ Ḥusaynī. 2nd edition. Tehran: Muʾassisa al-Ṣādiq, 1410 AH.
- Sharaf al-Dīn, ʿAbd al-Ḥusayn. Al-Majālis al-fākhira fī mātam al-ʿitra al-ṭāhira. Qom: Muʾassisa al-Maʿārif al-Islāmī, 1421 AH.
- Sulaym b. Qays al-Hilali. Kitāb Sulaym b. Qays. Edited by Ansari Zanjani. Qom: al-Hadi, 1405 AH.
- Suyūṭī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Abī Bakr al-. Al-Durr al-manthūr fī tafsīr al-maʾthūr. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1993.
- Ṭabrisī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Iḥtijāj. Mashhad: Nashr al-Murtaḍā, 1403 AH.
- Ṭayyibī, Ḥasan b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Kashif 'an ḥaqāʾiq al-sunan. Edited by Abd al-Hamid al-Hindawi. Mecca: [n.p.], 1417 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Amālī. Qom: Dār al-Thiqāfa, 1414 AH.