Letter of Imam 'Ali (a) to Imam al-Hasan (a)
The letter of Imam 'Ali (a) to Imam al-Hasan (a) is a long letter with the ethical and monotheistic content, which he wrote in the last years of his life. Some of important subjects in the letter are: God wariness, supplication, reading history and learning from it, and knowing the time. Also the letter has wise and short sentences. The letter has independent commentaries.
Time and Place of the Writing
The letter is written in the returning of Imam 'Ali (a) from Battle of Siffin. In Nahj al-balagha the place of writing is mentioned as "Hadirin", but it's not clear where the name belongs, or it is not name of a place but is the plural of "hadir" means "people who were present".
The main subject of the letter is ethics. In the beginning of the letter, Imam 'Ali (a) describes himself and his son as two ordinary human and then mentions the importance of the letter. Then he says that he wrote the letter in order to be a support for his son.
Other points mentioned advised in the letter are:
- Firm belief
- Remembering death
- Looking at the difficulties of the time and think about history and learning from it
- Enjoining the good and forbidding the evil
- Jihad in the way of God
- Understanding the religion
- Reliance on God
- About the world (dunya) and its betrayal
- Controlling Anger
- Care for the relatives
|Version's name||Number of the letter|
|Al-Mu'jam al-Mufahras, Subhi Salih, Fayd al-Islam, Khu'i,
Mulla Salih, Ibn Abi l-Hadid, Ibn Maytham, 'Abduh
|Mulla Fath Allah Kashani||34|
|Fi dilal Nahj al-Balagha||30|
- Shahīdī, Tarjuma-yi nahj al-balāgha, p. 295.
- Shahīdī, Tarjuma-yi nahj al-balāgha, p. 521.
- Shahīdī, Tarjuma-yi nahj al-balāgha, p. 295-296.
- Muḥammadī, Sayyid Kazim; Dashtī Muḥammad. Al-Muʿjam al-mufahris li alfāz nahj al-balāgha. Qom: Nashr-i Imām ʿAlī, 1369 Sh.
- National Library of Iran
- Shahīdī, Sayyid Jaʿfar. Tarjuma-yi nahj al-balāgha. Tehran: Intishārāt-i ʿIlmī wa Farhangī, 1377 Sh.
- Ustādī, Riḍā. Kitābnāma-yi nahj al-balāgha. Tehran: Bunyād-i Nahj al-balāgha, 1359 Sh.