|Al-Sahih min sirat al-Nabi al-A'zam (book)|
|Author||al-Sayyid Ja'far Murtada al-'Amili|
|Original title||الصحيح من سيرة النبي الاعظم|
|Subject||Prophet Muhammad (s) and Islamic history|
|Awards||Book of the year in the Islamic Republic of Iran|
Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-Nabī al-Aʾẓam (Arabic:الصحيح من سيرة النبي الاعظم) is an Arabic book about the sira (biography) of Prophet Muhammad (s) and Islamic history. The book is written by al-Sayyid Ja'far Murtada al-'Amili (d. 1441/2019) the Shi'a biographer and expert in Islam and Shi'a history, and the scholar of seminary of Qom and Lebanon. The first eleven volumes, until the end of the Battle of Ahzab, were published gradually and volume by volume; however, later the whole thirty five volumes, to the end of Event of Saqifa, were published together. The author has cited almost 1700 sources in the book. Al-Sahih was chosen as the book of the year in the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Main article: Al-Sayyid Ja'far Murtada al-'Amili
Al-Sayyid Ja'far Murtada Al-'Amili is a Shi'a religious scholar in seminary of Qom and Lebanon, expert in Islam and Shi'a history and a biographer. He was born in Jabal Amel in 1945. He studied in seminary of Qom and seminary of Najaf and has some works about the biography and conducts of Ahl al-Bayt (a).
The Book's Stance
Sunni scholars have written various books about the Prophet's (s) life and biography, such as Subul al-huda or al-Sirat al-Nabawiyya; however, there were not such a work among Shi'a. This book is remarkable for its critique of hadiths and narrations about the Prophet's (s) biography. As the title of the book denotes, the author has tried to refine the set of hadiths about the Prophet's (s) biography, identify weak hadiths and report historical events based on authentic hadiths through analyzing and studying narrations found in earlier sources. Utilizing both Shi'a and Sunni sources (1683 books) and through his special, Shi'a viewpoint to the history and biography of the Prophet (s), he has tried to reconstruct the Prophet's (s) biography.
Its Features and Writing Style
As the translator of the book says, the author, in addition to his special style of writing the biography of the Prophet (s), has presented an innovative, valuable perspective on some important and decisive events in Islamic history. He adds that the book has unique features which have distinguished al-Sahih form other new or old works in this field.
In the book, the author first mentions hadiths and the abundant narrations and quotes about a historical event from various sources, then he reviews and evaluates them from different aspects according to certain criteria. He also uses Qur'anic verses to determine the true accounts. The book includes all historical events which took place in Mecca and Medina chronologically.
Another feature of the book is that it covers all details of each event; yet, it is different from other detailed works in its critical analysis of every single report or narration. Although in some cases the author analyzes historical data based on some theological beliefs, he generally tries to present a scholarly and research-based work according to all historical hadiths and also non-historical ones.
Al-Sahih received the attentions of both seminary and university's scholars. It also received the award of the book of the year of Islamic Republic of Iran.. Moreover, after publication of its eleventh volume in 2001, the Research Institute of Seminary and University held a conference to appreciate the book and honor its author. A collection of articles under the title "the approach of al-Sahih toward the biography of the Messenger of God (s)" was published in the conference.
The first eleven volumes of the book were published gradually and volume by volume. However, in 1426/2005, the publication of Dar al-Hadith printed and published the whole thirty five volumes together.
- ʿĀmilī, al-Ṣaḥīḥ, vol. 35, p. 233.
- Sipihrī, Sīrat-i jāwidāna, vol. 1, p. 19.
- Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam. Noor Digital Library (Persian).
- Sipihrī, Sīrat-i jāwidāna, vol. 1, p. 20.
- Mehr news agency (Persia).
- Muḥammadī, Jāygāh-i al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam dar sīranigārī pas az inqilāb-i Islāmī.
- ʿĀmilī, al-Ṣaḥīḥ, vol. 35, p. 233.
- ʿĀmilī, al-Sayyid Jaʿfar al-Murtaḍā al-. Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam. Qom: Dār al-Ḥadīth, 1426 AH.
- Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam ʿAllama Murtaḍā tarjuma wa mutashir mīshawad. Mehrnews.com. Accessed: 2021/11/27.
- Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam. Noor Digital Library.
- Muḥammadī, ʿAlī. Jāygāh-i al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam dar sīranigārī pas az inqilāb-i Islāmī. Pazhūhish wa Ḥawza. No 9. Spring 1381.
- Mājarāyi tarjuma-yi nā ṣaḥīḥ-i "Al-Ṣaḥīḥ" bi riwāyat-i ʿAllama Sayyid Jaʿfar al-Murtaḍā. The website of Qudsonline. Accessed: 2021/11/27.
- Sipihrī, Muḥammad. Al-Ṣaḥīḥ min sīrat al-nabīyy al-aʿẓam; rahyāftī nu bi sīranigārī, tārīkh wa tamaddun-i Islāmī. No 4. Fall and Spring 1385 Sh.
- Sipihrī, Muḥammad. Sīrat-i jāwidāna. Tehran: Pazhūhishgāh-i Farhang wa Andīsha-yi Islāmī, 1384 Sh.