Ruqayya bt. al-Imam 'Ali (a)
- For other people named Ruqayya, see Ruqayya (disambiguation).
|Ruqayya bt. al-Imam 'Ali (a)|
The shrine of Ruqayya bt. 'Ali
|Father||'Ali b. Abi Talib (a)|
|Mother||Sahba' bt. Rabi'a|
|Spouse(s)||Muslim b. 'Aqil|
|Children||'Abd Allah, Muhammad|
|Place of Burial||Cairo,Egypt|
Ruqayya bt. ʿAlī (Arabic: رُقَيَّة بنت علي) (alive in 61/680), was the daughter of Imam 'Ali (a). She married Muslim b. 'Aqil. She was on the way to Kufa with Imam al-Husayn (a) when she received the news of the martyrdom of her husband. Also her son 'Abd Allah was martyred in the event of Karbala. She was one of the captives of Karbala.
Ruqayya's mother –Sahba' bt. Rabi'a al-Taghlibiyya- was a concubine of Imam 'Ali (a).
Ruqayya married her cousin, Muslim b. 'Aqil. It is said in the book Rayahin al-Shari'a, they had two sons named 'Abd Allah and Muhammad and a daughter. 'Abd Allah is considered as the husband of Sukayna bt. al-Husayn.
In some sources, she is referred to as "Umm Kulthum" which was probably her kunya. Sayyid Muhsin Amin referred to her as Umm Kulthum al-Wusta, distinct from Umm Kulthum al-Kubra and Umm Kulthum al-Sughra (the wife of one of 'Aqil's descendants).
Event of Karbala
She came with Imam al-Husayn (a) to Karbala. On her way to Karbala, she heard the news of the martyrdom of Muslim b. 'Aqil. Also her son, 'Abd Allah b. Muslim, was martyred in Karbala. She is one of the captives of Karbala.
The darih of the grave attributed to Ruqayya, the daughter of Imam 'Ali (a), was set up in 1416/1995, and is different with respect to artistic decorations from other silver darihs. The darih is approximately rectangular and its angles have respectively three or four netlike windows. On top of the darih, there is a small dome, and on top of the angles of its sides, there are muqarnases like the ones in the corners of the minaret of the Mosque of Kufa (which is an imitation from the ones in Masjid al-Aqmar). The base of the darih is made by green carved marble stones. The silver darih of the mausoleum of Ruqayya was designed by Dawudi Buhras of India, and it replaced the old copper darih.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3 p. 14; Ibn al-Jawzī, al-Muntaẓam, vol. 4 p. 109; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 4 p. 359; Maḥallātī, Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a, vol. 4, p. 255-256; Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya, vol. 6, p. 352.
- Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 70.
- Maḥallātī, Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a, vol. 4 p. 255-256.
- Ibn ʿAnba, ʿUmdat al-ṭālib, p. 32.
- Amīn, Aʿyān al-Shīʿa, vol. 3, p. 484.
- meaning in Arabic: al-kubra: the elder * al-wusta: the middle * al-sughra: the younger * they are all the daughters of Imam 'Ali (a)
- Ibn Khayyāṭ, Tārīkh Khayyāṭ, p. 145; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 469; Iṣfahānī, Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn, vol. 1, p. 134; Ibn al-Athīr, al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh, vol. 9, p. 412.
- Ibn Khayyāṭ, Tārīkh Khayyāṭ, p. 146; Maḥallātī, Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a, vol. 4, p. 255-256.
- Ḥamawī, Muʿjam al-buldān, vol. 5, p. 132.
- Shia holy places for Ziyara
- Amīn, al-Sayyid Muḥsin al-. Aʿyān al-Shīʿa. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf, 1406 AH.
- Abū l-Faraj al-Iṣfahānī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn. Maqātil al-ṭālibīyyīn. Edited by Sayyid Aḥmad al-Ṣaqar. Beirut: Dār al-Maʿrifa, [n.d].
- Ḥamawī, Yāqūt b. ʿAbd Allāh al-. Muʿjam al-buldān. 2nd edition. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, 1995.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, ʿAlī b. Abī l-Karam. Al-Kāmil fī l-tārīkh. Translated to Farsi by Abu l-Qāsim Ḥālat and ʿAbbās Khalīlī. Tehran: Muʾassisa-yi Maṭbūʿātī ʿIlmī, 1371 Sh.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad b. Manīʿ al-Ḥāshimī al-Baṣrī. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Edited by Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭā. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1410 AH-1990.
- Ibn ʿAnba, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī. ʿUmdat al-ṭālib fi ansāb Āl Abī Ṭālib. Qom: Anṣārīyān, 1417 AH.
- Ibn al-Jawzī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. ʿAlī. Al-Muntaẓam fī tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭāʾ and Muṣṭafā ʿAbd al-Qādir ʿAṭāʾ. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1412 AH.
- Khalīfa b. Khayyāṭ. Tārīkh Khayyāṭ. Edited by Fawāz. 1st edition. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1415 AH.
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a. Tehran: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmīya, 1373 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-.Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad Abu l-faḍl Ibrāhīm. 2nd edition. Beirut: Dar al-Turāth, 1967.