|Habba b. Juwayn al-'Urani|
|Full Name||Habba b. Juwayn al-'Urani|
|Companion of||Imam Ali (a)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
In the event of 'Uthman b. 'Affan's murder, he was present in Medina, and was one of the first people who pledged their allegiance to Imam Ali (a). He died in 76/695-6 during the caliphate of 'Abd al-Malik b. Marwan.
Tribe and Lineage
He is from 'Urayna, a clan of the Bajila tribe, and thus he came to be known as 'Urani (attributed to 'Urayna) and Bajali (attributed to Bajila). The name of his father is mentioned as Juwayh, Huwayh, and Juwayr, all of which are probably distorted forms of Juwayn. He was from Kufa, and was also known as al-Kufi. It is said that he met the Prophet Muhammad (s) and thus he also counts as one of the companion, but he is mostly known as one of the Tabi'un.
As a Shia
Habba al-'Urani was a Shia (follower) and a close companion of Imam 'Ali (a). According to al-Ya'qubi, he was a knowledgeable companion of the Imam (a). According to al-Shaykh al-Tusi, he was also a companion of Imam al-Hasan (a). Habba al-'Urani was present in Medina in the event of 'Uthman b. 'Affan's murder, and he was one of the first people who pledged their allegiance to Imam 'Ali (a). He was present in the army of Imam 'Ali (a) in the Battle of Jamal, and reported the battle. Habba went to al-Mada'in in the lifetime of Hudhayfa b. Yaman (d. 37/657-8), and heard from him a hadith from the Prophet (s) prognosticating 'Ammar b. Yasir's martyrdom. Habba accompanied Imam 'Ali (a) in the Battle of Siffin as well, and witnessed the martyrdom of 'Ammar in Siffin, and confirmed the truth of Hudhayfa's hadith. After that, he accompanied Imam 'Ali (a) in the Battle of Nahrawan.
Narration of Hadiths
Some hadiths narrated by Habba al-'Urani are subject to controversies between Shias and Sunnis, including a hadith narrated by him according to which in the Battle of Siffin, 80 people who had attended the Battle of Badr fought for Imam 'Ali (a). Al-Dhahabi rejected this as impossible, and Ibn Hajar al-'Asqalani considered this hadith to be a reason for the unreliability of Habba.
Habba also narrated Hadith al-Ghadir. But some scholars doubted the accuracy of this narration, since Habba is quoted as saying at the end of the hadith that he was a polytheist on the Day of Ghadir, whereas one year before Hajjat al-Wida' (the Farewell Hajj), the Prophet (s) had forbidden the attendance of polytheists in hajj together with Muslims. Shushtari considered the possibility that Habba did not attend the hajj, but he later joined the caravans on their way back, and thus attended the Event of Ghadir. One of the best known hadiths narrated by Habba from Imam 'Ali (a) is the one in which the Imam (a) introduced himself as the first Muslim and the first person who said prayers with the Prophet (s). Habba al-'Urani narrated hadiths from Imam 'Ali (a), 'Abd Allah b. Mas'ud, Hudhayfa b. Yaman and 'Ammar b. Yasir.
Salama b. Kuhayl, Abu l-Miqdam Thabit b. Hurmuz, Muslim al-Mula'i, and some others narrated hadiths from Habba.
From the Viewpoint of the Scholars of 'Ilm al-Rijal
Most Sunni scholars of 'ilm al-rijal considered Habba to be unreliable. Al-Dhahabi took him to be a Ghali (exaggerating) Shia because he took Imam 'Ali (a) to be superior to the first two caliphs. Ibn Hibban mentioned Habba in his book, al-Thiqat (the reliable narrators), but took him to be unreliable. Some Sunni scholars took him to be in the middle or reliable. According to Ibn 'Adi, there is scarcely an odd hadith from Habba, and while there was consensus over his unreliability, his hadiths were transcribed in hadith collections. According to Shiite scholars of 'ilm al-rijal, such as Ibn Dawud al-Hilli citing the books of al-Shaykh al-Tusi and al-Kashshi, he was praised, although he is not mentioned in al-Kashshi's book.
Habba al-'Urani died in 76/695-6 during the caliphate of 'Abd al-Malik b. Marwan and after the entrance of Hajjaj b. Yusuf al-Thaqafi in Iraq. There was a mosque there known as Habba al-'Urani.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 6, p. 177; Ibn Abī l-Ḥātam, al-Jarḥ wa l-taʿdīl, vol. 3, p. 253; Samʿānī, al-Ansāb, vol. 4, p. 182.
- Rāmhurmuzī, al-Muḥaddith al-fāṣil, p. 277.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 60.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 94, note 1.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 197.
- Ṭabarānī, al-Muʿjam al-kabīr, vol. 4, p. 8.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, Usd al-ghāba, vol. 1, p. 367.
- ʿIjlī, Maʿārifat al-thiqāt, vol. 1, p. 281; Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 197; Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 450.
- Barqī, Kitāb al-Rijāl, p. 6; Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 60; Dhahabī, Tārīkh al-Islām wa wafayāt, vol. 2, p. 807.
- Yaʿqūbī, Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī, vol. 2, p. 214.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 94.
- Mufīd, al-Jumal wa al-nuṣra, p. 109.
- Mufīd, al-Jumal wa al-nuṣra, p. 382; Naṣr b. Muzāhim, Waqʿat Ṣiffīn, p. 143.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 38-39.
- Kūfī, Manāqib al-Imām Amīr al-Muʾminīn, vol. 1, p. 144.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 39.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 197; Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 450.
- Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 450; Kūfī, Manāqib al-Imām Amīr al-Muʾminīn, vol. 2, p. 544; Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī, al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn, vol. 3, p. 104.
- Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 450.
- Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 2, p. 141.
- Dāraquṭnī, al-ʿIlal al-wārida, vol. 3, p. 225-226; Amīnī, al-Ghadīr, vol. 1, p. 64.
- Ibn al-Athīr, Usd al-ghāba, vol. 1, p. 367-368; Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 2, p. 140.
- Shūshtarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 3, p. 76.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 21; Ibn Abī Shayba, al-Muṣannaf, vol. 8, p. 43; Balādhurī, Ansāb al-ashrāf, vol. 2, p. 86; Kūfī, Manāqib al-Imām Amīr al-Muʾminīn, vol. 1, p. 269, 281; Nasā'ī, Sunan al-kubrā, vol. 5, p. 105; Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib, vol. 1, p. 291, 297-299.
- Ibn Saʿd, al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā, vol. 6, p. 177; Bukhārī, Tārīkh al-kabīr, vol. 2, part 1, p. 93; Ibn Abī l-Ḥātam, al-Jarḥ wa l-taʿdīl, vol. 3, p. 253; Ibn Ḥibbān, Kitab al-thiqāt, vol. 4, p. 182; Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 197.
- Ibn Abī l-Ḥātam, al-Jarḥ wa l-taʿdīl, vol. 3, p. 253; ʿAqīlī, al-Ḍuʿafā al-kabīr, p. 295-296; Ibn ʿUday, al-Kāmil min ḍuʿafā al-rijāl, vol. 2, p. 429.
- Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 450.
- Ibn Ḥibbān, Kitab al-thiqāt, vol. 4, p. 182.
- ʿIjlī, Maʿārifat al-thiqāt, vol. 1, p. 281; Ṭabarānī, Kitāb al-awāʾil, p. 78; Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 199-200; Ibn Ḥajar, al-Iṣāba, vol. 2, p. 141.
- Ibn ʿUday, al-Kāmil min ḍuʿafā al-rijāl, vol. 2, p. 430.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Kitāb al-rijāl, p. 69.
- Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 4, p. 214.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām, vol. 9, p. 190-201.
- Ibn ʿAsākir, Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq, vol. 42, p. 359; Dhahabī, Mīzān al-iʿtidāl, vol. 1, p. 484.
- Amīnī, ʿAbd al-Ḥusayn. Al-Ghadīr fī al-kitāb wa al-sunna wa al-ʾadab. Qom: 1416-1422 AH-1995-2002.
- ʿAqīlī, Muḥammad b. ʿAmr. Al-Ḍuʿafā al-kabīr. Edited by ʿAbd al-Muʿṭī Amīn Qalʿajī. Beirut: 1418 AH-1998.
- Bukhārī, Muḥammad b. Ismāʿīl al-. Tārīkh al-kabīr. Diyarbakır: Maktabat al-Islāmīyya, [n.d].
- Barqī, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Kitāb al-Rijāl. Tehran: 1383 AH/1963.
- Balādhurī, Aḥmad b. Yaḥyā al-. Ansāb al-ashrāf. Edited by Maḥmūd Firdaws al-ʿAzm. Damascus: 1996-2000.
- Dāraquṭnī, ʿAlī b. ʿUmar. Al-ʿIlal al-wārida fī al-aḥādīth al-Nabawiyya. Riyadh: 1405 AH-1985.
- Dhahabī, Muḥammad b. al-Aḥmad al-. Tārīkh al-Islām wa wafayāt al-mashāhīr wa l-aʿlām. Edited by Bashār ʿAwād Maʿrūf. Beirut: 1424 AH-2003.
- Dhahabī, Muḥammad b. al-Aḥmad al-. Mīzān al-iʿtidāl fī naqd al-rijāl. Edited by ʿAlī Muḥammad al-Bajāwī. Cairo: 1963-1964.
- Ḥākim al-Nayshābūrī. Muḥammad b. ʿAbd Allāh al-. Al-Mustadrak ʿala l-ṣaḥīḥayn. Edited by ʿAbd al-Raḥmān Marʿashlī. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Ibn Abī l-Ḥātam, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Muḥammad. Al-Jarḥ wa l-taʿdīl. Hyderabad Deccan: 1371-1373 AH/1952-1953.
- Ibn al-Athīr al-Jazarī, ʿAlī b. Muḥammad. Usd al-ghāba fī maʿrifat al-ṣaḥāba. Cairo: 1280-1286 AH.
- Ibn Aʿtham, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Al-Futūḥ. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: 1411 AH-1991.
- Ibn Ḥibbān, Muḥammad. Kitab al-thiqāt. Hyderabad Deccan: 1393-1403 AH.
- Ibn Ḥajar al-ʿAsqalānī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Al-Iṣāba fī tamyīz al-ṣaḥāba. Edited by ʿĀdil Aḥmad ʿAbd al-Mawjūd and ʿAlī Muḥammad Muʿawwaḍ. Beirut: 1415 AH-1995.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. 'Alī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Edited by Sayyid Muḥammad Ṣādiq Baḥr al-ʿUlūm. Najaf: 1392 AH-1972.
- Ibn Saʿd, Muḥammad. Al-Ṭabaqāt al-kubrā. Edited by Iḥsān ʿAbbās. Beirut: 1405 AH-1985.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Najaf: 1956.
- Ibn ʿUday, Abū Aḥmad. Al-Kāmil min ḍuʿafā al-rijāl. Edited by Suhayl Zukār. Beirut: 1409 AH-1988.
- Ibn ʿAsākir, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥasan. Tārīkh madīnat Dimashq. Edited by ʿAlī Shīrī. Beirut: 1415-1421 AH.
- ʿIjlī, Aḥmad. Maʿārifat al-thiqāt. Edited by ʿAbd al-ʿAlīm ʿAbd al-ʿAzīm al-Bastawī. Medina: 1405 AH-1985.
- Kūfī, Ibn Abī Shayba al-. Al-Muṣannaf fī al-aḥādīth wa al-āthār. Edited by Saʿīd al-Laḥām. Beirut: 1409 AH-1989.
- Khaṭīb Baghdādī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Tārīkh Madīnat al-salām. Edited by Bashār ʿAwād Maʿrūf. Beirut: 1422 AH-2001.
- Khoeī, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth. Beirut: 1403 AH-1983.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Beirut: 1401 AH.
- Kūfī, Muḥammad b. Sulaymān. Manāqib al-Imām Amīr al-Muʾminīn ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Maḥmūdī. Qom: 1412 AH.
- Mizzī, Yūsuf b. ʿAbd al-Raḥmān al-. Tahdhīb al-kamāl fī ʾasmāʾ al-rijāl. Edited by Bashār ʿAwād Maʿrūf. Beirut: 1422 AH-2002.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Jumal wa al-nuṣra li sayyid al-ʿitra fī ḥarb al-Baṣra. Edited by ʿAlī Mīrsharīfī. Beirut: 1374 Sh.
- Nasā'ī, Aḥmad b. Shuʿayb. Sunan al-kubrā. Edited by ʿAbd al-Ghaffār Sulaymān al-Bandārī and Sayyid Ḥasan Kasrawī. Beirut: 1411 AH-1991.
- Naṣr b. Muzāhim Minqarī. Waqʿat Ṣiffīn. Edited by ʿAbd al-Salām Muḥammad Hārūn. Cairo: 1382.
- Rāmhurmuzī, Ḥasan b. ʿAbd al-Raḥmān. Al-Muḥaddith al-fāṣil bayn al-rāwī wa al-wāʿī. Edited by Muḥammad ʿIjāj Khaṭīb. Beirut: 1420 AH-2000.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. ʿIlal al-sharāʾiʿ. Najaf: 1386 AH-1996.
- Samʿānī, ʿAbd al-Karīm b. Muḥammad. al-. Al-Ansāb. Edited by ʿAbd Allāh ʿUmar Bārūdī. Beirut: 1408 AH-1988.
- Shūshtarī, Muḥammad Taqī. Qāmūs al-rijāl. Qom: 1410-1424 AH.
- Ṭabarānī, Sulaymān b. Aḥmad. Kitāb al-awāʾil. Edited by Muḥammad Shakūr Ḥājī. Oman: 1403 AH-1983.
- Ṭabarānī, Sulaymān b. Aḥmad. Al-Muʿjam al-kabīr. Edited by Ḥamdī ʿAbd al-Majīd Salafī. Beirut: Lithography, 1404 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-.Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Edited by Muḥammad Abu l-faḍl Ibrāhīm. Beirut: 1382-1387 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Tahdhīb al-aḥkām. Edited by Sayyid Ḥasan al-Khursān. Tehran: 1364 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī al-Iṣfahānī. Qom: 1415 AH.
- Yaʿqūbī, Aḥmad b. Abī Yaʿqūb al-. Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī. Beirut: Dār Ṣādir, [n.p].
- Yusuf Uzbak. Musnad ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib raḍī Allāh ʿanhu. Kharaja aḥādīthuhū ʿAlī Riḍā b. ʿAbd Allāh. Damascus: 1416 AH-1995.