|Companion of||Since Imam Ali (a) up to Imam al-Rida (a)|
|Epithet||Sahibat al-Hasat (bearer of pebble)|
Ḥabāba al-Wālibīyya (Arabic: حَبابَة الوالِبيّة) (d.184/800) was a Shi'a female transmitter of hadith since the time of Imam Ali (a) until the time of Imam al-Rida (a). Some miracles of Imams (a) have occurred for her.
She was one of the three women called Sahibat al-Hasat (bearer of pebble). According to a report, she asked Imam Ali (a) to give her a sign of Imamate. Imam (a) asked her to give him a small stone and then he (a) stamped it with his ring and its mark was embossed on the stone. Then, Imam (a) told her, "If a person claims to be an Imam and is capable of doing so, he is an Imam obedience of whom is obligatory." Hababa passed away at the time of Imam al-Rida (a) and he (a) gave his clothes to shroud her and prayed upon her body.
Lineage, Epithet and Teknonym
She was the daughter of Ja'far, from Waliba, a branch of Banu Asad tribe and thus was called Walibiyya Asadiyya. Her teknonym was Umm al-Nada. Her name has also been wrongly recorded as Habbaba. Hababa is also called Sahibat al-Hasat (bearer of pebble). But, two other women named Umm Ghanim and Umm Aslam have stories similar to that of Hababa and thus all the three are called Sahibat al-Hasat (bearer of pebble).
A Female Transmitter of Hadith
Ibn Makula considered her a transmitter of Imam Ali's (a) hadiths and Ibn Babawayh mentioned a hadith in jurisprudence transmitted by her from Imam (a) in Man la yahduruh al-faqih. Shi'a scholars of rijal have included her name or her teknonym among the transmitters of hadiths from Imam al-Hasan (a) up to Imam al-Baqir (a).
Asking Imam Ali (a) for a Sign
According to a hadith in al-Kafi, she asked Imam Ali (a) to give her a sign of Imamate. Imam (a) asked her to give him a small stone and he stamped it with his ring and its mark was embossed on the stone. Then, Imam Ali (a) explained, "If a person claims to be an Imam and is capable of doing so, he is an Imam obedience of whom is obligatory."
Hababa took the stone to each of the Imams after Imam Ali (a) up to Imam al-Rida (a) and they (a) all stamped it. This is mentioned in other sources with the same chain of transmission and text.
Miracles Associated with Hababa
In Shi'a sources, there are mentions of Hababa al-Walibiyya usually under the discussion on proving the Imamate or mentioning the miracles of Pure Imams (a), including the following mentions:
- Curing her leprosy by Imam al-Husayn (a)
- Becoming young again at the age of 113 by Imam al-Sajjad (a) by pointing at her
- The hairs of her head becoming black by the supplication of Imam al-Baqir (a)
Hababa lived since the time of Imam Ali (a) until the time of Imam al-Rida (a) and passed away nine months after meeting Imam al-Rida (a). After the demise of Hababa al-Walibiyya, Imam al-Rida (a) gave his clothes to shroud her and prayed upon her body. In Kitab al-Ghayba, al-Shaykh al-Tusi has mentioned her age 230 years.
- Barqī, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Kitāb al-rijal. Tehran:1383 Sh.
- Fīrūz Abādī, Majd al-Dīn. Al-Qāmūs al-muḥīṭ. Edited by Tahir Ahmad al-Zawi. Bierut: 1399 AH/1979.
- Ibn 'Ayyash, Ahmad b. Muhammad. Kitab al-muqtadab al-athar fi l-nass 'ala al-a'imma al-ithna 'ashar. Qom: Maktaba al-Thabataba'i.
- Ibn Basṭām, Ḥusayn and ʿAbd Allāh Ibn Basṭām. Ṭibb al-aʾimma. Edited by Muhsin al-Aqil. Beirut: 1414 AH.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. ʿAlī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Edited by Muhammad Sadiq Al Bahr al-'Ulum. Najaf: 1394 AH.
- Ibn Ḥamza, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Al-Thaqib fi l-manaqib. Edited by Nabil Rida 'Alwan. Qom: 1412 AH.
- Ibn Mākūla, ʿAli b. Hibat Allah. Al-Ikmal fi raf' al-irtiyab 'an l-mu'talaf wa l-mukhtalaf fi l-asma' wa l-kuna wa l-ansab. Edited by Abd al-Rahman b. Yahya al-Mu'allimi al-Yamani. Beirut.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Edited by Ḥāshim Rasūlī. Qom: Nashr-i ʿAllāma, 1379 Sh.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl known as Rijāl al-Kashshī. Edited by Ḥasan Muṣṭafawī. Mashhad: 1348 Sh.
- Khuṣaybī, Ḥusayn b. Ḥamdān al-. al-Hidāya al-kubrā. Beirut: 1406 AH.
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Rayahin al-shari'a. Tehran: Dar al-Kutub al-Islamiyya, 1370 Sh.
- Mamaqānī, ʿAbd Allāh b. Ḥasan. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī ʿilm al-rijāl. Najaf: Maṭbaʿat al-Murtaḍawīyya, [n.d].
- Rāwandī, Saʿīd b. Hibat Allāh al-. Al-Kharāʾij wa l-jarāʾiḥ. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Imām al-Mahdī, 1409 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Qom: 1363 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Man lā yaḥḍuruh al-faqīh. Edited by Hasan al-Musawi al-Khirsan. Beirut:, 1401 AH.
- Ṣaffār, Muḥammad b. Ḥasan. Baṣā'ir al-darajāt fī faḍāʾil-i Āl-i Muḥammad. Edited by Muḥsin Kūchabāghī. Qom: Kitābkhāna-yi Āyat Allāh al-Marʿashī, 1404 AH.
- Samʿānī, ʿAbd al-Karīm b. Muḥammad. al-. Al-Ansāb. Edited by ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Yaḥyā al-Muʿallimī al-Yamānī. 1st edition. Hyderabad: Majlis Dāʾirat al-Maʿārif al-ʿUthmānīyya, 1382 AH/1962.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Dalāʾil al-imāma. Qom: Nashr-i Biʿthat, 1413 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Iʿlām al-warā bi-aʿlām al-hudā. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, 1417 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī al-Iṣfahānī. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī Tābiʿat li Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1415 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Ghayba. Edited by ʿIbād Allāh Tihrānī & ʿAlī Aḥmad Nāṣiḥ. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Maʿārif al-Islāmīyya, 1425 AH.