|Malik b. Abd Allah al-Hamdani|
|Full Name||Malik b. 'Abd Allah b. Suray' al-Hamdani|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Well Known As||Martyrs of Karbala|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Battle of Karbala|
Mālik b. ʿAbd Allāh b. Sarīʿ al-Hamdānī (Arabic: مالك بن عبدالله بن سریع الهَمْداني) was one of the Martyrs of Karbala. He joined Imam al-Husayn (a) in the Battle of Karbala together with his maternal brother, Sayf, and his servant, Shabib b. 'Abd Allah al-Nahshali. They were martyred after Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami.
Malik b. 'Abd Allah b. Suray' b. Jabir al-Hamdani al-Jabiri was from the Banu Jabir tribe. Banu Jabir was a branch of the Hamdan tribe. People of Hamdan were originally from Yemen and lived in Kufa.
Battle of Karbala
Malik b. 'Abd Allah b. Suray' and Sayf b. al-Harith al-Hamdani, who were brothers through their mother as well as cousins through their fathers, went to Karbala together with their servant, Shabib, and joined the companions of Imam al-Husayn (a). On the Day of 'Ashura when they saw the Imam (a) against the enemy's army, they went to him with crying eyes. The Imam (a) told them:
- " O nephews! Why are you crying? I swear to God that you will soon be delighted!"
They said: "May God sacrifice us for you! We swear to God that we are not crying for us; we are crying because we see you sieged and we cannot support you." The Imam (a) replied:
- "May God give you the best reward He gives the pious for your companionship and help!"
After the martyrdom of Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami, Sayf and Malik told the Imam (a): "Peace be upon you, O the son of the God's messenger!" and then they moved to the enemy's army.
The Imam (a) said: "God's peace, mercy and blessings be upon you!"
They fought while supporting each other until they were both martyred.
- Samʿānī, al-Ansāb, p. 419.
- Samāwī, Ibṣār al-ʿayn, p. 132-133; Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk, vol. 5, p. 443-444.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). Qom: Zamzam-i Hidāyat, 1384 Sh.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī, 1403 AH.