|Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the battle of Karbala|
Ḥanẓala b. Asʿad al-Shibāmī (Arabic: حَنْظَلَة بن أسعَد الشِبامي) or al-Shāmī (الشامي) was a companion of Imam al-Husayn (a) who was martyred during the Battle of Karbala in the Day of 'Ashura 61/680.
Disagreement over his Name
There is a disagreement about his name. In the list of names of Imam al-Husayn's (a) companions, Al-Shaykh al-Tusi mentions him as Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami. In some texts, however, the name of his father is mentioned as Sa'd. Ibn Shahrashub mentions a person called "Sa'd b. Hanzala" as a martyr of karbala. However, al-Tustari believes that his name is Hanzala b. As'ad al-Shibami as explicitly mentioned in 'Uyun akhbar al-Rida (a).
- O my people! Indeed I fear for you [a day] like the day of the [heathen] factions; like the case of the people of Noah, of ʿĀd and Thamūd, and those who were after them, and Allah does not desire any wrong for [His] servants. O my people! I fear for you a day of mutual distress calls, a day when you will turn back [to flee], not having anyone to protect you from Allah, and whomever Allah leads astray has no guide.
He then said: "O people, do not kill Husayn; you will be destroyed with a divine punishment, and whoever tells lies will be disappointed."
Imam al-Husayn (a) said in response:
- O Ibn Sa'd! May God bless you. They deserved the punishment when they rejected your call and attacked you to shed your blood and the blood of your friends, let alone now that they have martyred your pious friends.
Then Hanzala said:
May I be thy ransom! You are right. You are more knowledgeable than me with respect to religion and you understand it better. Let us go to the afterlife and join our brothers … God's blessings be upon you, O Aba 'Abd Allah, and your pure household. May God make me your companion in the Heaven.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl, p. 100.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 105.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, al-Manāqib, vol. 4, p. 110.
- Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, vol. 2, p. 56, hadith 5; Shūshtarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 4, p. 76.
- Ṭabarī, Tārīkh al-Ṭabarī, vol. 7, p. 347-348; Shūshtarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 4, p. 76.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Edited by Yusuf al-Biqāʿī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1421 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Beirut: Muʾassisa al-Wafaʾ, 1403 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Muʾassisa-yi Āl-i al-Bayt (a). Qom: Kungira-yi Shaykh al-Mufīd, 1413 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā. Edited by Mahdī Lājiwardī. Tehran: Nashr-i Jahān, [n.d].
- Shūshtarī, Muḥammad Taqī. Qāmūs al-rijāl. Qom: Muʾassisa-yi Nashr-i Islāmī, 1414 AH.
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Tārīkh al-umam wa l-mulūk. Translated to Farsi by Abū l-Qāsim Pāyanda. Tehran: Bunyād-i Farhang-i Iran, 1352 Sh.