Abu l-Hutuf b. al-Harth al-Ansari
|Abu l-Hutuf b. al-Harth al-Ansari|
|Full Name||Abu l-Hutuf b. al-Harth al-Ansari al-'Ajlani|
|Companion of||Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||Sa'd b. al-Harth al-Ansari (brother)|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Cause ofDeath/Martyrdom||Martyred in the Event of Karbala|
|Activities||Being one of Khawarij and participating in the Battle of Nahrawan|
Name and Lineage
He is also known as Abu l-Hutuf Salama b. Harth al-Ansari al-'Ajlani. According to later sources, his name was Abu l-Hutuf, and his father's name was Harth b. Salama al-Ansari al-'Ajlani. He was from Kufa, from the Banu 'Ajlan clan, one of the Khawarij in Kufa, and from the Khazraj tribe in Medina who were from Ansar.
Joining Imam al-Husayn (a) and Martyrdom
Abu l-Hutuf and his brother, Sa'd b. al-Harith (Harth) allegedly accompanied 'Umar b. Sa'd to fight Imam al-Husayn (a). On the Day of 'Ashura when all of the Imam's (a) companions were martyred except Suwayd b. 'Amr b. Abi Muta' and Bashir b. 'Amr al-Hadrami, the Imam (a) asked for help, and women and children in his camps began to cry. When Abu l-Hutuf and his brother, Sa'd, heard the Imam's (a) call and the cry of women and children from the Prophet Muhammad's (s) household, they said: "There is no verdict except by God and we do not obey the one who committed sins; this is Husayn (a), the son of the daughter of our Prophet Muhammad (s). How can we fight him while he has no soldiers, while we hope for his grandfather's intercession on Dooms Day?" They then drew their swords and fought for Imam al-Husayn (a). After killing three people and injuring many others, they were both martyred in one place. In his Ibsar al-'ayn, al-Samawi holds that Abu l-Hutuf and his brother, Sa'd, were martyred after Imam al-Husayn's (a) martyrdom.
- Mūsawī Zanjānī, Wasīlat al-dārayn, p. 105.
- Kamaraʾī, ʿUnṣur-i shujāʿat, vol. 3, p. 169-170.
- Mamaqānī, Tanqīḥ al-maqāl, vol. 2, p. 12.
- Samāwī, Ṭāhir al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn, vol. 1, p. 222.
- Kamaraʾī, Mīrzā Khalīl. ʿUnṣur-i shujāʿat. Muʾassisa Dār al-Maʿārif Shīʿī, 1390 Sh. [n.p].
- Mūsawī Zanjānī, Ibrāhīm. Wasīlat al-dārayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1395 AH.
- Mamaqānī, ʿAbd Allāh b. Ḥasan. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī ʿilm al-rijāl. Najaf: lithography, 1349-1352 AH.
- Samāwī, Muḥammad b. Ṭāhir al-. Ibṣār al-ʿayn fī anṣār al-Ḥusayn (a). Qom: Dānishgāh-i Shahīd Maḥallātī, 1419 AH.