Zīyāra Wārith (Arabic: زيارة وارث) is one of the famous ziyara-texts for pilgrimage to Imam al-Husayn's (a) holy shrine. It is one of the sections of a set of rituals Imam al-Sadiq (a) taught Safwan al-Jammal for the pilgrimage of Imam al-Husayn (a). Some believe this text is recited during Eid al-Adha, and the day and night of Arafa. However, according to narrations, it may be practiced any time with the intention of pilgrimage of Imam al-Husayn (a).
This text is actually one section of a set of commands for ziyara of Imam al-Husayn (a) next to his tomb, which is recited when the pilgrim reaches the head-place.
Eid al-Adha and the Day and Night of Arafa
Some have stated that this ziyara-text is for the day of Arafa, while others believe that it is a ritual for the day and night of Arafa and the day and night of Eid al-Adha.
It is worth mentioning that many other texts exist that are similar, especially to the first parts of this text.
The Manner of Reciting Ziyara
In Misbah al-mutahajjid, al-Shaykh al-Tusi transmitted from Safwan al-Jammal, I asked the permission of Imam al-Sadiq (a) for the pilgrimage of our master Imam al-Husayn (a) and asked him to give me an instruction for his pilgrimage so that I perform it accordingly.
He (a) said, "O Safwan, before travel, fast for three days and perform ghusl on the third day. Then, gather your household and say, 'O God, I surly trust you with …'" until the end of the supplication. Then, he (a) taught him a supplication to recite when he arrives at the Euphrates. Then he (a) said, "Perform ghusl using the water from the Euphrates. Truly, my father transmitted from his fathers that the Prophet (s) said, "Surely after me, my son, al-Husayn (a) will be killed beside the Euphrates. Anyone who visits him and performs ghusl in the Euphrates, his sins will fall and become like the day his mother gave birth to him." While you are performing ghusl, say,
- "In the name of God and by God; O God, make it [ghusl] a light and purity and shield and cure for all pains, illnesses, diseases and disabilities; O God, with it, purify my heart and expand my chest and ease my affair."
When you finish ghusl, put on two clean clothes and perform a two-rak'a prayer where water is taken from the river. When you finish prayer, move toward the shrine's boundary with calmness and poise and make short steps. Surely, God will write for you hajj and umra for every step you make. Walk with a humble heart and crying eyes and say, "Allah-u Akbar, La ilah-a illa Allah", praise God and recite Salawat upon the Prophet (s) and especially upon al-Husayn (a) a lot and frequently say curses upon his killers and words of dissociation from those who found oppression and persecution against the Ahl al-Bayt (a).
When you arrive at the gate of the shrine's boundary, stand and recite the text of Ziyara Warith"
Sources of Ziyara Warith
The text has been mentioned in many authentic Shi'a books, such as al-Mazar by al-Shaykh al-Mufid and Misbah al-Mutahajjid by al-Shaykh al-Tusi.
- ↑ Sayyid b. Tawus, 'Ali b. Musa, Al-Iqbāl bi l-a'māl al-hasanah, vol.2, P. 63
- ↑ Ibn Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far, Al-Mazar al-kabir, P.462
- ↑ Kaf'ami, Ibrahim b. 'Ali, Al-Misbah, P.501,502
- ↑ al-Shaykh al-Mufid, Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man, Al-Mazar, p106
- ↑ al-Shaykh al-Tusi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. Hasan, Misbah al-mutahajjid wa silah al-muta'abbid, Vol.2, P.720
- Ibn al-Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far. Al-Mazar al-kabir. Qum: Daftar-i Intesharat-i Islami. 1419 AH.
- Kaf'ami, Ibrahim b. 'Ali al-. Al-Misbah (Jannat al-aman al-waqiya wa jannat al-iman al-baqiya. Qum: Dar al-Radi, 1405 AH.
- Mufid, Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man al-. Al-Mazar. Qum: 1413
- Sayyid b. Tawus, 'Ali b. Musa al-. Al-Iqbal bi-l-a'mal al-hasana. Qum: Dafter-i Tablighat-i Islami, 1376 Sh.
- Tusi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-. Misbah al-mutahajjid wa silah al-muta'abbid. Beirut: Mu'assisat Fiqh al-Shi'a, 1414.