- This article is about the works by Muhammad Husayn Gharawi Isfahani. For biographical information, see Muhammad Husayn Gharawi Isfahani.
Muhammad Husayn Gharawi Isfahani (b.1296/1878 - d.1361/1942), known as Kumpānī, is a scholar of jurisprudence, principles of jurisprudence and a philosopher of fourteenth/twentieth century. His is well-known as a deep and astute thinker.
His Nihaya al-Diraya is one of the most important works in principles of jurisprudence, which is written as a commentary on Akhund Khurasani's Kifaya. His "Diwan" (collection of poems) has also been published with the pen name, muftaqir (needy person), concerning the praise of Ahl al-Bayt (a). The below is list of his works:
- Nihaya al-diraya fi sharh al-kifaya ; this book is one of the most astute commentaries on Kifayat al-Usul by Akhund Khurasani, and it is full of painstaking remarks and insights. The first part of the book was published in 1341/1922-3 and the second and the third parts were published in 1344/1925-6 in Tehran. The Institute of Al al-Bayt (a) has reprinted the book.
- Al-usul 'ala al-nahj al-hadith (usul with a new method); this book was an attempt to reorganize and rearrange issues of usul which was left unfinished. Muhammad Rida Muzaffar wrote his book, usul al-fiqh, in accordance with this rearrangement.
- A commentary on al-Shaykh al-Ansari's essay on certainty.
- Al-ijtihad wa al-taqlid wa al-'adala ; this essay was published with two other works — Al-usul 'ala al-nahj al-hadith, and Al-talab wa al-irada—in one volume under the title, Buhuth fi l-usul (discussions in principles of jurisprudence).
- Urjuza fi l-sawm (a brief on fasting)
- Al-Anwar al-qudsiyya ; 24 Arabic qasidas regarding the history of the Prophet (s) and some of his uncles and Imams (a) and some of their progeny. These qasidas refer to some verses of the Qur'an and some hadiths with a philosophical style; this work contains about 2000 poetic verses. The book has been published in Najaf with the introduction of al-Shaykh Muhammad 'Ali Urdubadi.
- Tuhfat al-hakim ; it is a short poetry about philosophy in Arabic containing about 1000 verses. Mirza Mahdi Ashtiyani wrote a commentary on it up to the issue of mental existence (al-wujud al-dhihni) and Muhammad Baqir Sa'idi wrote a commentary on the whole work.
- A commentary on al-Makasib ; it is a commentary on the jurisprudential issues of sales and khiyarat (options for canceling a transaction) in the book, al-Makasib by al-Shaykh al-Ansari.
- A commentary on Kitab al-tahara by al-Shaykh al-Ansari.
- Diwan (collection of poems) in Farsi. Isfahani's penname is "muftaqir" (meaning a needy person). The work contains praises and lamentations of Ahl al-Bayt (a), and has repeatedly been published. In one of its publications it appears as Diwan-i Kumpani.
- Poems about i'tikaf.
- Da'irat al-ma'arif tashayyu'. vol. 2, . 227
- The material for this article is mainly taken from محمدحسین غروی اصفهانی in Farsi WikiShia.