|From Death to Resurection|
Al-Hāwīya (Arabic: الهاوية) or the Abyss is one of the names of the hell mentioned in the Qur'an. According to a hadith, hawiya is the lowest level of the hell and according to another hadith, it is the place for those who deny wilaya of Imam Ali (a).
In the Qur'an
Hawiya is once mentioned in Qur'an 101:8–11, "But as for him whose deeds weigh light in the scales, * his home will be the Abyss. * And what will show you what it is? * It is a scorching fire!". A group of exegetes have interpreted the word "umm" as "place" ["home"] and the same way a mother embraces her child, the hell embraces people. However, another group of exegetes have interpreted "umm" as "brain" and have stated that "hawiya" refers to the way people fall in it by their heads.
In a hadith from Imam Ali (a), he (a) mentions "hawiya" the first level from the seven levels of the hell. Also, in some hadiths, "hawiya" refers to the seventh and the lowest level of the hell.
According to a hadith, Prophet Jesus (a) passed by a town and saw that all its people were dead and their bodies were left on the ground. He (a) resurrected one of the dead upon the request of one of his Hawariyyun (apostles of Jesus) and asked him, "what happened to you?" He said, "we enjoyed the night in happiness, but in the morning we were sent to hawiya of the hell." Prophet Jesus (a) asked him, "what is hawiya?" He answered, "It is sijjin." Prophet Jesus (a) asked him, "what is sijjin?" He answered, "Mountains of rocks which turn to the fire blazing toward us."
- Ibn Fāris, Muʿjam maqāyīs al-luga, vol. 2, p. 78.
- Qur'an, 101:8-11.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Tafsīr-i nimūna, vol. 27, p. 267.
- Ṭabrisī, Majmaʿ al-bayān, vol. 6, p. 519.
- Ḥuwayzī, Nūr al-thaqalayn, vol. 3, p. 18; Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 8, p. 285.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 2, p. 319.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib, vol. 2, p. 151.
- Ḥuwayzī, ʿAbd ʿAlī b. Jumʿa. Nūr al-thaqalayn. Second edition. Qom: Maṭbaʿa al-ʿIlmīyya, [n.d].
- Ibn Fāris, Aḥmad b. Fāris. Muʿjam maqāyīs al-luga. Qom: Maktab al-Aʿlām al-Islāmī, 1404 AH.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Manāqib Āl Abī Ṭālib. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1430 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1407 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Wafāʾ, 1404 AH.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Nāṣir. Tafsīr-i nimūna. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1374 Sh.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-bayān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Edited by Hāshim Rasūlī & Yazdī Ṭabāṭabāyī. Third edition. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Nāṣir Khusru, 1372 Sh.