Day of Encounter
|From Death to Resurection|
Simultaneous Events with Death
Obligations towards the Dead
After Burying in the Grave
Day of Encounter or Yawm al-Talāq (Arabic: یَوْم التَّلاق) is a term referring to the day of resurrection. The term is used once in the Qur'an, and different interpretations have been provided for what is meant thereby.
In the Qur'an
The term is used once in the Qur'an in Sura al-Ghafir verse 15:
|“||رَفِيعُ الدَّرَجَاتِ ذُو الْعَرْشِ يُلْقِي الرُّوحَ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ عَلَىٰ مَن يَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ لِيُنذِرَ يَوْمَ التَّلَاقِ
|— Qur'an, 40:15.|
Meaning of "Talaq"
"Talaq" literally means an encounter or meeting.
Different interpretations have been proposed for "talaq" in the above verse:
- There is a hadith from Imam al-Sadiq (a) according to which "Yawm al-Talaq" is a day in which inhabitants of the sky and the Earth will meet.
- Al-Shaykh al-Mufid takes "Yawm al-Talaq" to mean the meeting of the soul and the body on the day of resurrection. It seems that he has the physical resurrection in mind.
- It means the meeting of all people from the past to the last nations, as another verse of the Qur'an reads: "Indeed, the former and the later peoples * Are to be gathered together for the appointment of a known Day".
- It means the meeting with God. According to a verse in Sura al-Inshiqaq, "indeed you are laboring toward your Lord with [great] exertion and will meet Him".
- It means the encounter with, or facing, one's actions. According to a verse in Sura Al 'Imran, "The Day every soul will find what it has done of good present [before it] and what it has done of evil".
- Bahāʾī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥusayn. Miftāḥ al-falāḥ fī ʿamal al-yawm wa l-layla min al-wajibāt wa l-mustaḥabbāt. Beirut: Nashr Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1405 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Al-Masāʾil al-ʿukbarīyya. Qom: al-Muʾtamar al-ʿĀlamī li-Alfīyat al-Shaykh al-Mufīd, 1413 AH.
- Rāghib al-Iṣfahānī, Ḥusayn b. Muḥammad. Mufradāt alfāẓ al-Qurʾān. Beirut: Dār al-Shāmīyya, 1412 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Maʿānī l-akhbār. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1403 AH.