Ḥammālat al-ḥaṭab (Arabic: حمالة الحطب) is a Qur'anic title for the wife of Abu Lahab, meaning "the firewood carrier." Abu Lahab's wife was Umm Jamil, Abu Sufyan's sister and Mu'awiya's aunt. Her name is mentioned as Arwa, Jamil, and Sakhra.
About the reason why such a description has been used, the following issues have been mentioned:
- Umm Jamil carried thorny bushes from the desert and when the Prophet (s) went to mosque for prayer, she threw them in front of his feet to hurt him.
In any case, the above-mentioned aspects do not disagree with each other and can all be considered as the implications of the verse.
- ↑ Makārim Shīrāzī, Tafsīr-i nimūna, vol. 27, p. 420.
- ↑ Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, al-Istīʿāb,
- ↑ Ṭūsī, al-Amālī, p. 265.
- ↑ Maybudī, Diwān-i Amīr al-Muʾminīn (a), p. 92.
- ↑ Ṭabrisī, Majmaʿ al-bayān, vol. 10, p. 852.
- ↑ Motahhari, Majmūʿa-yi āthār, vol. 28, p. 852.
- ↑ Fakhr al-Rāzī, Mafātīḥ al-ghayb, vol. 32, p. 353.
- ↑ Ṭūsī, al-Tibyān, vol. 10, p. 428.
- ↑ Makārim Shīrāzī, Tafsīr-i nimūna, vol. 27, p. 421.
- Fakhr al-Rāzī, Muḥammad b. al-ʿUmar al-. Mafātīḥ al-ghayb. 3rd edition. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1420 AH.
- Ibn ʿAbd al-Barr, Yūsuf b. ʿAbd Allāh. Al-Istīʿāb fī maʿrifat al-aṣḥāb. Edited by ʿAlī Muḥammad al-Bajāwī. Beirut: Dār al-Jail, 1412 AH.
- Motahhari, Morteza. Majmūʿa-yi āthār. Qom: Intishārāt-i Ṣadrā, 1389 Sh.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Nāṣir. Tafsīr-i nimūna. 1st edition. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1374 Sh.
- Maybudī, Ḥusayn b. Muʿīn al-Dīn. Diwān-i Amīr al-Muʾminīn (a). Translated to Farsi by Muṣṭafa Zamānī. 1st edition. Qom: Dār al-Nidā al-Islām li-Nashr, 1411 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-bayān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. 3rd edition. Introduced by Muḥammad Jawād Balāghī. Tehran: Naṣir Khusruw, 1372 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Amālī. 1st edition. Qom: Dār al-Thiqāfa, 1414 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Tibyān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Edited by Aḥmad Qaṣīr al-ʿĀmilī. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, [n.d].