Lunar Hijri Months
Ṣafar al-Muẓaffar (Arabic: صَفَر المُظَفَّر) or Ṣafar al-Khayr (Arabic: صفر الخَیر) is the second month in the Lunar calendar.
The word "Safar" literally means empty. It was called so because people in the jahiliyya period left their homes empty in this month, because it was after the Muharram month, which was a haram month in which people stopped raids and expeditions, but in Safar they restarted their raids once again, leaving their houses empty.
Just like the Muharram month, this month is also a month of grief for Twelver Shiite Muslims. The demise of the Prophet Muhammad (s), the martyrdom of Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a), and Imam al-Rida (a), as well as Imam al-Husayn (a)'s Arba'in (the fortieth day of his martyrdom) occurred in this month.
It is widely held that Safar, and in particular its last Wednesday, is malevolent, but there is no hadith in this regard.
According to some sources, however, the Prophet (s) has said about the month of Safar that "Whoever gives me the good news that the month of Safar has ended, I will give him the good news of going to heaven". This hadith does not have a reliable chain of narrators (or sanad), and it is probably about Abu Dhar al-Ghifari.
Recommended practices of the Safar month
|Practices of Safar al-Muzaffar|
Reciting the prayer:
|The third day||Performing two Rak'ats (or postures) of prayers, reciting in the first Rak'at Sura al-Hamd and Sura al-Fath, and in the second, Sura al-Hamd and Sura al-Ikhlas, and reciting Salawat on the Prophet (s) and his progeny for 100 times after the prayer, and reciting a curse on the progeny of Abu Sufyan for 100 times, and asking for God's forgiveness for 100 times.|
|The twentieth day||Reciting Ziyara al-Arba'in|
- Main article: Historical Anniversaries of Safar
- Arrival of the captives of Karbala alongside with the heads of Imam al-Husayn (a) and other martyrs of Karbala to Syria (1 Safar, 61/31 October, 680)
- The martyrdom of Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a) (according to a narration)(7 Safar, 50/6 March, 70]]
- The birth of Imam Musa b. Ja'far al-Kazim (a)
- The demise of Ayatollah Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi (7 Safar, 1411/16 August, 1990)
- Arba'in of Imam al-Husayn (a) (20 Safar, 61/25 November, 680)
- The demise of the Prophet (s) (28 Safar, 11/25 May, 632)
- The martyrdom of Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a) (28 Safar, 50/27 March, 670)
- The martyrdom of Imam al-Rida (a) (last day of Safar 203/818)
- The material for this article is mainly taken from صفر in Farsi WikiShia.