|Al-Asfa fi tafsir al-Qur'an|
|Author||Mulla Muhsin Fayd Kashani|
|Original title||الأصْفیٰ فی تَفْسیرِ القُرْآن|
|Published||Qom, 1418 A.H.|
Al-Aṣfā fī tafsīr al-Qur'ān (Arabic: الأصْفیٰ فی تَفْسیرِ القُرْآن) is an Arabic exegesis of the whole Qur'an written by Mulla Muhsin Fayd Kashani (1007/1598-1091/1680). Al-Asfa is a selection of another book by the author, al-Safi. In his al-Asfa, Fayd rested content to the exegesis of Ahl al-Bayt (a).
- Main article: Mulla Muhsin Fayd Kashani
Muhammad b. Murtada, known as Mulla Muhsin Kashani and Fayd was a prominent Shi'a scholar of hadiths and jurisprudence. Fayd was a man of literature and mysticism as well. He wrote numerous books concerning the exegesis of the Qur'an, hadith, philosophy, and mysticism. Fayd Kashani was born on Safar 14, 1007 (September 16, 1598) and died on Rabi' II 22, 1091 (May 22, 1680). He was buried in Kashan.
Date and Style of Writing
Contents and Structure
In addition to the transmission of exegetical hadiths, Fayd also concerned himself with the diraya (understanding) of the hadiths. And for the sake of brevity, he eliminated the chains of transmissions of the hadiths. The author says,
- "Whenever I cited something from Tafsir al-Qummi which was not attributed to an Infallible (a), I separated it from other hadiths by adding the word, "Qummi", at its beginning. And whenever I cited something from Sunni sources, I distinguished it from other hadiths by the [passive verb] "ruwiya" (it is transmitted), and whenever I cite the exact words of the Imams (a), I use the verbs, "qala" (he said), "warada" (it occurred), and "fi riwaya" (in a hadith), and if I cite an Imam's (a) words in a summarized form, I use the phrase "kadha warada" (thus occurred). And whenever there is no hadith from an Infallible (a) or there is one but it is not reliable, I selected the strongest view from other exegeses and cited it in the book.
Summaries and Translations
Fayd Kashani himself summarized al-Asfa and called it al-Musaffa.
There are two Urdu translations of al-Asfa:
- The one by Sayyid Mazahir Hasan al-Amruhuwi, an Imami Qur'anic scholar in Pakistan in the fifteenth/twenty first century.
- The translation of Mazhar Hasan Hindi in the fifteenth/twenty first century.
It was also translated into Farsi by Muhammad Mas'ud Abbasi Zanjani.
Aqa Buzurg Tihrani refers to a manuscript of the book with the handwriting of Sayyid Ahmad b. Shahab al-Din Ali al-Tabataba'i in 1104/1692 together with al-Safi. However, the manuscripts consulted for the correction and publication of the book are the two following,
- The manuscript of the Library of Iranian Majlis in Tehran. Its first volume was written in 1090/1679 and its second volume was written in 1089/1678, two years before the demise of the author in 235 pages. It is with the beautiful handwriting of Ibn Ali b. Ali, known as Nowruz al-Din Muhammad Nasir and was corrected in its margins with the handwriting of Fayd Kashani himself.
- The manuscript of the Library of Astan Quds Razavi in Mashhad in 306 pages. It was written in 1081/1670 with the handwriting of Ahmad b. Muhammad Hasan. It is also corrected in its margins with the handwriting of Fayd Kashani. It was written from a manuscript with the handwriting of the author himself.
- It was first lithographically printed in 1274/1857 in Mumbai on the margin of al-Safi. It was also published in 1310/1892 on the margin of al-Safi.
- It was separately published in Tehran in 1303/1924 and 1354/1975 in one lithographical volume. The edited version of the work was published in two volumes; the first includes the beginning of the Qur'an through Qur'an 17, and the second includes Qur'an 18 through the end of the Qur'an. It was published by the publications of the Islamic Propagation Office of the Islamic Seminary of Qom in 1418/1997.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, al-Wāfī, Editor's introduction.
- Khurramshāhī, Dānishnāma-yi Qurʾān wa Qurʾān pazhūhī, vol. 1, p. 666.
- Maʿrifat, Tafsīr wa mufassirān, vol. 2, p. 210.
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 2, p. 124.
- ʿAqīqī Bakhshāyishī, Ṭabaqāt-i mufassirān-i Shīʿa, vol. 3, p. 224.
- Bookroom.ir (Persian).
- Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 2, p. 124.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, al-Aṣfā, vol. 1, p. 14, 15.
- ʿAqīqī Bakhshāyishī, ʿAbd al-Raḥīm. Ṭabaqāt-i mufassirān-i Shīʿa. 2nd edition. Qom: Nawīd-i Islām, 1377 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Mullā Muḥsin. Al-Aṣfā fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Qom: Intishārāt-i Daftar-i Tablīghāt-i Islāmī, 1418 AH.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. Murtaḍā. Al-Wāfī. Isfahan: Maktabat Amīr al-Muʾminīn, 1365 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Mullā Muḥsin. Al-Aṣfā fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Translated to Farsi by Muḥammad Masʿūd ʿAbbāsī Zanjānī. [n.p]. [n.d].
- Khurramshāhī, Bahāʾ al-Dīn. Dānishnāma-yi Qurʾān wa Qurʾān pazhūhī. Tehran: Dūstān wa Nāhīd, 1377 Sh.
- Summary of al-Tafsīr al-Ṣāfī. Bookroom.ir (Persian). Accessed: 2022/02/12.
- Maʿrifat, Muḥammad Hādī. Tafsīr wa mufassirān. Qom: Muʾassisa-yi Farhangī-yi al-Tamhīd, 1380 Sh.
- Tihrānī, Aqā Buzurg al-. Al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1403 AH.