Qurba intention (Arabic: قصد القربة) is the intention of closeness to God which is among the conditions of the validity of the acts of worship in Islam. It means performing acts of worship with the intention and the goal of getting close to God. This intention is usually expressed by the expression "qurbat-an ila Allah". Qurba intention is obligatory only in the actions which have worshiping aspect.
In jurisprudential terminology, qurba intention is to perform acts of worship with the intention of obeying the order of God with the goal of attaining His contentment.
In the views of Shi'a jurists, performing acts of worship with intentions such as thanking God, attaining His contentment, achieving rewards, avoiding punishment and learning the benefit in the acts of worship are among the ways of fulfillment of qurba intention.
Cases of Necessity
Shi'a jurists consider qurba intention obligatory only in ta'abbudi obligations (which have a worshiping aspect) such as wudu', prayer and fasting; and these obligations are void if performed without qurba intention. In their views, qurba intention in tawassuli obligations (non-worshiping obligations) such as paying debts is not necessary. In these obligations, mere performance of the action with any intention is sufficient. Therefore, qurba intention is a criterion for categorizing obligations to ta'abbudi and tawassuli.
- Ākhund Khurāsānī, Muḥammad Kāẓim. Kifāyat al-uṣūl. Qom: Muʾassisa-i Āl al-Bayt(a) li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, 1409 AH.
- Imām Khomeinī, Sayyid Rūḥ Allāh. Tahdhīb al-usūl. Qom: Muʾassisa-i al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1405 AH.
- Khoeī, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Ajwad al-taqrīrāt. 2nd Edition. Qom: Kitāb furūshī Muṣṭafawī, 1368 SH.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Nāṣir. Ḥīlahā-yi sharʿī wa chāra jūʾīhā-yi ṣaḥīḥ. 2nd Edition. Qom: Madrisa al-Imām ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib(a), 1428 AH.
- Muʾassisa-i Dāʾirat al-Maʿārif al-Fiqh al-Islāmī. Farhanq-i fiqh fārsī. Qom: Muʾassisa-i Dāʾirat al-Maʿārif al-Fiqh al-Islāmī, 1387 SH.
- Muzaffar, Muḥammad Riḍā al-. Uṣūl al-fiqh. Qom: Daftar Tablīghāt Islāmī, 1370 SH.
- Pazhūhishgah ʿUlūm wa Farhang Islāmī.Farhangnāma-yi usūl-i fiqh. Qom: Pazhūhishgah ʿUlūm wa Farhang Islāmī, 1389 SH.