'Abd Allah Mamaqani
|Place of Birth||Najaf|
|Professors||Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani|
|Students||al-Sayyid Sa'id al-Hakim, Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi|
|Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani|
ʿAbd Allāh b. Muḥammad Ḥasan Māmaqānī or Mamaqāni (Arabic:عبدالله بن محمدحسن مامقانی) (b. 1290/1873 - d. 1351/1933) is a Shi'a scholar in rijal of the 14th/20 century. He was one of the great scholars of Najaf and had many students, including Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi. He has written some works, the most important of which is Tanqih al-maqal. Holding mourning sessions and founding a library in Najaf are some of his social activities.
'Abd Allah Mamaqani was born in Rabi' I 15, 1290/May 13, 1873 in Najaf. His father, Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani was a student of al-Shaykh Murtada al-Ansari and Sayyid Husayn Kuhkamara'i. His grandfather Shaykh 'Abd Allah b. Muhammad Baqir (d. 1247/1831-2) was also a faqih who had Permission for ijtihad and Permission for hadith transmission from the author of Riyad al-masa'il.
Ayatollah Shaykh Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani was one of the great scholars of his time and had Muqallids (followers) (especially after the demise of Ayatollah Sayyid Muhammad Hasan Shirazi in 1312/1894) from Turkey, Caucasus, and Iran – especially from Adharbayjan region and Tehran.
Demise and Grave
He had nine children, including 8 daughters and 1 son, and his son was Shaykh Muhyi al-Din Mamaqini (d. 1429/2008).
His education started when he was 5 by learning how to read and write and also by learning the Qur'an. Then he studied under his father many preliminary topics of al-Hawza al-'Ilmiyya , such as Arabic grammar, logic and mathematics. He finished the preliminary level of seminary, including Qawanin al-Usul, Riyad al-masa'il, Fara'id al-usul and al-Makasib, by studying under his father and other scholars and faqihs in Najaf.
At the age of 18, he started participating in advanced courses of fiqh and usul al-fiqh of his father, who was one of the teachers of advanced courses (Bahth al-Kharij) in Najaf. Years later, he received his Permission of ijtihad from his father, who was very careful in issuing the Permissions.
- Muhammad Hasan Mamaqani (his father)
- Shaykh Hashim b. Zayn al-'Abidin Tabrizi (d. 1323/1905-6),
- Shaykh Ghulam Husayn Darbandi Turki (d. 1321/1903-4),
- Shaykh Hasan Khurasani, known as Mirza (d. 1313/1995-6).
- Shaykh Mirza Baqir Zanjani Najafi,
- Sayyid Sa'id al-Hakim,
- Shaykh 'Abd al-Husayn al-Hilli (1299/1881-1375/1995),
- Shaykh Muhammad Husayn Khiyabani Tabrizi (1299/1881-1392/1972),
- Sayyid Shihab al-Din Mar'ashi Najafi (1315/1897-1411/1990),
- Shaykh Muhammad Haqqani (1325/1907-1388/1968),
- Al-Sayyid Ali Akbar al-Khoei, the father of al-Sayyid Abu l-Qasim al-Khoei.
In addition to teaching students, training religious Muballighs (preachers) and holding mourning sessions for consolidating, promoting and keeping the school of Ahl al-Bayt (a) remaining, Ayatollah Mamaqani founded an important library, in which more than 400 unique manuscripts – each said to be important research sources – was kept.
This library was one of the richest libraries in Najaf and was located in al-'Imara neighborhood. After the demise of Ayatollah Mamaqani, the library and the house next to it, which was waqf (endowment) and the books were kept in, were demolished by Ba'th Regime on the pretext of urban development.
Ayatollah Mamaqani was very interested in books and reading them. He liked to make books available to the public. Therefore, if he was informed that one owns an only copy of a book, he would ask the one to lend him the book, then the Ayatollah paid all the costs of copying the book therefore making it available to the public.
- Main article: List of Works by 'Abd Allah Mamaqani
He had written several books in different field of Islamic sciences including hadith, fiqh, usul al-fiqh, rijal. The most important one among them is Tanqih al-maqal, a comprehensive Arabic book on 'Ilm al-rijal, in which he discussed about 16000 hadith transmitters.
- Shaykh Aqa Buzurg Tihrani praises him by saying: "he has gathered knowledge and wisdom with piety and asceticism, as he has balanced fame and position with humility and good manners."
- Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi has describes him as an experienced scholar and a deep-thinking researcher.
- His student, Muhammad Sa'id al-Hakim, says: "He was very knowledgeable, he was the forerunner of researchers, the Sultan of thinkers in religious studies, the great sign of God who left valuable writings."
- The material for this article is mainly taken from عبدالله مامقانی in Farsi Wikishia.