|Version's Name||Sermon num.|
|Al-Mu'jam al-mufahras, Subhi Salih||193|
|Fiyd al-Islam, Ibn Maytham||184|
|Minhaj al-bara'a (al-Khoei), Mulla Salih||192|
|Ibn Abi l-Hadid, 'Abduh||186|
|Mulla Fath Allah||221|
Al-Muttaqīn sermon (Arabic: خطبة المتّقین, the pious sermon) is one of the most famous sermons of Imam 'Ali (a) in which he describes a pious Muslim. The sermon characterizes the pious so well in their personal and social life that at the end of the sermon, Hammam, the Imam's companion who had asked about the characteristics of the pious, loses consciousness and passes away.
Cause of Delivering
It is narrated that Hammam who was a devoted worshiper and one of the companions of Imam Ali (a) asked him to describe the pious: "O, Amir al-Mu'minin, describe the pious for me as if I am looking at them." Imam Ali (a) tried to void answering and said, "O Hammam, be wary of Allah and perform good deeds because 'Indeed Allah is with those who are Godwary and those who are virtuous.'"
It is narrated that after the sermon, Hammam lost conciseness and passed away. Imam 'Ali (a) said, "Verily, by God I feared this for him." Then he added: "Effective advice has such influence on its people (who have receptive ears)."
Someone said, "O Amir al-Mu'minin, why did not it affect you?" Amir al-Mu'minin (a) replied, "Woe to you! There is a fixed hour for each death that it will not exceeded it, and a cause which does not change. Be silent and never repeat such talk, indeed Satan had put on your tongue."
According to the content of the sermon which is a description of the pious, the sermon was called the pious (al-Muttaqin is plural of al-Muttaqi meaning pious). Also, it is called the sermon of Hammam, as he was the cause of the delivering of this sermon.
As the name of the sermon implies, the main subject of the sermon is description of the pious. Imam 'Ali (a) characterizes them in their personal and social life, and their worships and connection with Allah. Here are some of these attributes: (Categories may have overlaps)
Attributes of the God-wary
- Speaking properly,
- Avoiding the forbidden,
- Listening to beneficial knowledge,
- Greediness for knowledge,
- Endurance of hardships,
- Forgiving who did wrong to them,
- Avoiding indecent speech,
- Not misappropriating what they have been trusted with,
- Suppressing the anger,
- People are in ease from them,
- Good deeds are expected from them.
- Blaming themselves (being suspicious about themselves),
- Fear from being complemented,
- Having faith with certainty,
- Hoping the next life and renouncing this world.
Connection with God
Translations and Commentaries
In addition to translations of Nahj al-balagha, which include this sermon as well, the sermon has been solely translated to Farsi several times.
Moreover, more than 15 commentaries have been written about this sermon in addition to those of the whole Nahj al-balagha. Almost all of these commentaries are in Farsi.
|For the full text, see text:al-Muttaqin Sermon.|
- Ibn Abī l-Ḥadīd, Sharḥ Nahj al-balāgha, vol. 10, p. 133.
- Quran, 16:128.
- Ṣhahīdī, Tarjuma-yi Nahj al-balāgha, p. 224.
- Ṣhahīdī, Tarjuma-yi Nahj al-balāgha, p. 227.
- Ibn Abī l-Ḥadīd, ʿAbd al-Ḥamīd b. Ḥibat Allah. Sharḥ Nahj al-balāgha. Edited by Muḥammad Abū l-Faḍl Ibrāhīm. Qom: Ismāʿīlīyān, [n.d].
- Ṣhahīdī, Sayyid Jaʿfar. Tarjuma-yi Nahj al-balāgha. Teharn: Intishārāt-i ʿIlmī wa Farhangī, 1377 Sh.