Humayd b. Muslim al-Azdi
|Humayd b. Muslim al-Azdi|
|Full Name||Humayd b. Muslim al-Azdi|
|Place of Residence||Kufa|
|Notable roles||Reporter of the Event of Karbala|
|Activities||Participation in the Tawwabun Uprising|
Ḥumayd b. Muslim al-Azdī (Arabic:حُمَيد بن مُسلِم الأزدي) was among the reporters of the Battle of Karbala in the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd. He dissuaded Shimr b. Dhi l-Jawshan from killing Imam al-Sajjad (a) and argued with him over burning the tents. By the order of 'Umar b. Sa'd, he and Khuli took the head of Imam al-Husayn (a) to Ibn Ziyad.
After the battle of Karbala, Humayd b. Muslim participated in the uprising of Tawwabun. After the uprising of Tawwabun was defeated, he tried to become close to Mukhtar but perhaps when he found that Mukhtar was serious in killing the killers of Imam al-Husayn (a), kept away from him. Companions of Mukhtar chased him, but they could not find him.
In the Battle of Karbala
In the Event of Karbala, Humayd b. Muslim was in the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd. According to his own report, when Shimr b. Dhi al-Jawshan wanted to burn the tents of Imam (a), he argued with him. He also dissuaded him of killing Imam al-Sajjad (a). By the order of 'Umar b. Sa'd, Humayd b. Muslim and Khuli took the head of Imam al-Husayn (a) to Ibn Ziyad. He was also ordered by 'Umar b. Sa'd to deliver the news of his victory and health to his family.
Al-Shaykh al-Tusi has listed Humayd b. Muslim al-Kufi among those who transmitted hadiths from Imam al-Sajjad (a).
Reporting the Event
Humayd b. Muslim has reported many of the happenings in the event of Karbala. Abu Mikhnaf has narrated the events of Karbala from him through people such as Sulayman b. Abi Rashid and Saq'ab b. Zubayr. Reports of Sulayman begin with the movement of Shimr b. Dhi l-Jawshan toward Karbala and end with the martyrdom of 'Abd Allah b. 'Afif. Also, al-Tabari has reported many of the events in Karbala from Abu Mikhnaf from him. There are some reports from him about the Battle of Tawwabun and the Uprising of Mukhtar.
Some of the reports of Humayd b. Muslim from the event of Karbala are about:
- The letter of Ibn Ziyad to 'Umar b. Sa'd and the order of preventing Imam al-Husayn (a) and his companions from access to water
- Going of 'Abbas to bring water on the eve of Muharram 7th
- Imam's (a) cursing 'Abd Allah b. Abi Husayn al-Azdi
- Beginning of War by the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd
- Imam al-Husayn's (a) speech beside the body of Ali al-Akbar (a)
- Martyrdom of Qasim b. al-Hasan (a) and Imam's (a) speech beside his body
- The report of Imam al-Husayn's (a) state after the martyrdom of his companions until his own martyrdom
- The dispute in the army of 'Umar b. Sa'd over killing Imam al-Sajjad (a) or taking him captive and Shimr's intention for killing Imam al-Sajjad (a)
- Taking the head of Imam al-Husayn (a) to Ibn Ziyad by him and Khuli
- Delivering the news of 'Umar b. Sa'd's health and his return to his family
- Hitting on the lips and teeth of Imam al-Husayn (a) by stick by Ibn Ziyad and the objection of Zayd b. Arqam
- Entering of Lady Zaynab (a) to the gathering of 'Ubayd Allah and their speeches
- Ibn Ziyad's conversation with Imam al-Sajjad (a) and trying to kill Imam (a) and Lady Zaynab's (a) defense of him
- 'Ubayd Allah b. Ziyad's speech in the Mosque of Kufa, objection of 'Abd Allah b. 'Afif al-Azdi and his martyrdom
In the Uprising of Tawwabun
In the Uprising of Mukhtar
When Mukhtar was in prison of Ibn Ziyad, Humayd b. Muslim met him and has narrated some speeches from him. Before the Uprising of Mukhtar, he accompanied Ibrahim b. Malik Ashtar in meeting Mukhtar, due to his friendship with Ibrahim.
In the uprising of Mukhtar, he was chased by Sa'ib b. Malik al-Ash'ari. He escaped to 'Abd al-Qays tribe together with 'Abd Allah and 'Abd al-Rahman, who were the two sons of Aslakhab. They were captured but Humayd b. Muslim survived. He has reported its story himself.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from حمید بن مسلم ازدی in Farsi WikiShia.